Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

opinions on new M1 synth.. 15K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM

opinions on new M1 synth.. 15K?

Well for those who haven't read a single auto mag or watched a car show lately, Mobil one has come out with a new synthetic that is "guaranteed" to hold its quality for 15,000 miles. I am skeptic about 15K, but have been using M1 syth for the last 2yrs/27,500 miles. I typically use a 4500-6000 mile interval with a m1 filter and the oil comes out black. Although the oil is black, it doesnt mean that the oil is bad. As a pilot I know that on airplane engines after an oil change the oil will be black again in one hour or less- this is a semi-synthetic oil. I drive about 16K miles a year and am wanting to go to a 8K mile/6 month interval. What does everyone else think about this "new" oil.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Im sticking with my Amsoil. But,
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Amsoil can last for that long too but you really should replace filter at least once.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is the first I've heard of a 15k number. I typically do 5k on Mobil1 SuperSyn. I wouldn't be comfortable going much farther than 7500 on the same filter, even if the oil claimed 15k.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:40 PM

Yea, I know of Amsoil's claims for longevity, but I still replace my oil and filter every 5K too.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:42 PM

my 03 Saab 9-3 Vector goes 15k without an oil change. and i dont replace the filter between oil changes. it uses Mobil 1
Old 03-21-2005, 02:08 PM
vsamoylov

i try to change my oil at what nissan said and that is 3750 miles. i use modil 1 with a oem filter. but if you do use that oil, you have to replace your filter at least once before you change the oil. am i right?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:44 PM

I know you guys are going to call me crazy, but I had a mechanics professor two semesters back who had a buddy working for Ford or GM--it was one of those American companies. Either way, he said that the way engines are designed nowadays, you can go 50,000 miles without chaning your oil. Now, granted, nobody is going to test this myth, but I've always found it interesting. I almost believe it, too. My mom has no idea when it comes to cars. She's had oil unchanged in her Geo Prizm (I know ) for at least 20,000 miles at times. The car is now at 200,000+ and still going strong from what I hear. So, is it true???
Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by housecor
This is the first I've heard of a 15k number. I typically do 5k on Mobil1 SuperSyn. I wouldn't be comfortable going much farther than 7500 on the same filter, even if the oil claimed 15k.
agreed. the oil might last 15k but i wouldn't count on a filter lasting that long. and i also use only nissan filters. there was a thread around here before discussing different oil filters and the oil pressure required to open their "flow" valve and only the nissan ones were designed correctly.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:23 PM
southernrednik

^^ could be. one of our company trucks a ford ranger i know went 60K without and oil change, no one was keeping track of anything! they take it in, like 1/2 qt comes out, they flush the motor, and the truck has 160K on it now, with oil changes every 3K on dino oil, and the truck is fine.....

I use mobil 1 and nissan filters and i go 6-8K. check the oil often, and it looks new until around 8K where it starts to discolor. i would stick with mobil1 and nissan filters, and change them 6-8K

Old 03-21-2005, 04:13 PM
drag racing is for wussies

104K miles on Mobil1 full synthetic oil, since its 1st oil change at 1000 miles. No problems so far. Acura uses 10K intervals, and let me tell ya the engine is full of sludge after 80K miles of 10K oil changes. I stick to my 3K mile OEM Nissan or Mobil1 oil filter and 4.25 qts of Mobil 1, I do have the 15K mile oil in the engine now even thou I will change it at 3K anyways.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
DONE

i use mobile 1 with a wix filter every 3500 to 5000 miles i won't go past that
Old 03-21-2005, 04:58 PM

I just used the 15K mile new mobil 1 yesterday with a mobil one filter. I plan on changing the oil now once a year. Usually I do about 8-9K miles a year. I would feel fine changing it at 15K miles if I acheived those miles within a years time.

Apparenlty this new oil has more additives that allow for the longer changes. But everyone has to go with what they feel comfortable with, or send their used oil for analysis to see how safe it is to really go.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:07 PM
GusMaxGLE

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
I know you guys are going to call me crazy, but I had a mechanics professor two semesters back who had a buddy working for Ford or GM--it was one of those American companies. Either way, he said that the way engines are designed nowadays, you can go 50,000 miles without chaning your oil. Now, granted, nobody is going to test this myth, but I've always found it interesting. I almost believe it, too. My mom has no idea when it comes to cars. She's had oil unchanged in her Geo Prizm (I know ) for at least 20,000 miles at times. The car is now at 200,000+ and still going strong from what I hear. So, is it true???

I would say 7k to 10k maybe, but not 50k, or at least I would not try it. I do know that keeping your oil in your car a little too long is better than removing it prematurlely-due to the fact that conventional motor oil has detergents in it to remove sludge and dirt from your motor.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
that's why Fords and GMs breaks down every 5k miles. Geo Prizm has a Toyota Corolla engine so I am not supprise it lasted that long. My friend blew his engine in his Mustang cause he was too lazy to change the oil at 9K miles, poured some oil in and got a free engine from Ford.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey guys--if the oil is designed for that long--it might be good to read up on it though to see how the oil was tested-whether it be hard driving everday normal driving-oil is oil but the treatments that are in it is what wears out--thats y normal oil is replace every 3,750--also for you guys that have less than 15k on ur engine--should not use synthetic oil--synthetic oil will cuase the rings in the motor to not seat properly
Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bensmax00
--also for you guys that have less than 15k on ur engine--should not use synthetic oil--synthetic oil will cuase the rings in the motor to not seat properly
unless your came off the line with synthetic oil.... like many are starting to do.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:33 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Mobil1 is used in the new EVO, and Vettes. I changed mine over to Mobil1 at 1K miles and I never had any issues with compression or oil burning. I never even broke my engine in- I was so happy cause it was my 1st ever brand new car- and last. Leaving the dealership I was speedshifting into 2nd laying rubber still 104K miles later engine still purrrs.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:09 AM

I believe that the new mobil 1 will do well, if not sure take an oil analysis to track trend wear and see up to what mileage the oil needs to be changed out. 10k should not be a problem, some of you may remember the SAE paper on the little old lady that drove to the local church and store, and left the oil in vehicle for an extremely long time analysis proved that the wear metals along with the cleanliness of the engine for such a duration was safe.

Additionally a oem filter or good quality filter will indeed last for 10k before needing a change out reason being is that the synthetic starts out inherently clean as opposed to dino therefore from the start the filter isn't fighting to keep oil clean from the start.

If the synthetic is doing it's job it can keep the minute particles in suspension for the duration. Amsoil has been purporting these claims for quite some time mobil 1 now is taking a shot at it now. Amsoil's track record has been somewhat proven in connection with long drain intervals meaning beyond the 10k mark, mobil 1 is it's foremost competitor is shouldn't be surprising that they at this time can manufacturer an oil that can handle such a duration.

Changing mobil 1 sooner I guess is up to each one comfort zone yet analysis has established that drainage beyond 7.5k is very acceptable without causing the engine any harm, only my opinion and everyone has one, replacing mobil 1 earlier than this is perhaps a waste of money a really good dino could achieve similar results.

Mobil 1 and other good polyol and ester type synthetics have superior protection and are for the long haul rather than short oci. This is my opinon coupled with experience.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 AM

"also for you guys that have less than 15k on ur engine--should not use synthetic oil--synthetic oil will cuase the rings in the motor to not seat properly"

I don't know if this practice is still necessary, new technology has allowed for manufacturers to perform what is called runin procedures to seat the rings before leaving the manufacturer. If now we are speaking of chrom moly rings I could perhaps see were this concept might be necessary, yet 5k mileage seems to suffice for breakin after which a synthetic can be used, additionally mobil 1 has commented on this practice and has recommended that such is unecessary.

This practice of breakin was employed because of the need of bedding in the rings which in turn producing swarf material. This is still commonly used in rebuilt engines from outside manufacturers whereas the purchaser needs to wait the amount of mileage before using synthetic oil, again not necessarily needed with current car manufacturers due to the process being performed in house.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:26 AM

I have been using Mobil 1 supersyn ever since i got the car and 3 nights ago, was a time for oil change. i saw the new Mobil 1 and i thought i'd give it a try. even though it says 15k i think now i will be changing it every 6-7k.
I have always been chaging my oil (Mobil1 SuperSyn) at about 4-5k depending on how i drove my car during that period. with the new one, i think i can squeeze 6-7k now.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:03 AM

"with the new one, i think i can squeeze 6-7k now." I sure u can go out to 10k without a problem it may be good to take an analysis at that point to confirm that the 10k is doing well for your own comfort. Keep in mind many have been using 10k change out with the old mobil 1 and even them mobil recommended that one follow the manufacturers schedule for oil changes they wouldn't even commit to a mileage factor on paper, however they would verbalize on the phone that 7.5 was not an issue

At this time they are committing in writing that a 15k mileage is guarenteed on the bottle itself this is a big leap for a company such as mobil to do this, however if your skeptical than 10k on this enhanced formula should'nt cause any problems. Mobil is sticking there neck out very far and if you've been diligent in you care for the car you'll experience no issues. I'd suggest that you squeeze 10k out instead of 6-7k you'll will be pleasantly surprised.