Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

mobile 1 extended protection synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
BUT you will need to send your oil to Blackstone labs to determine this. .
I did my first motor oil analysis for my Max when I increased my OCI from the Nissan recommended 7.5 K miles to 10 K miles (as far as I want to push the oil). Blackstone said that there was still ample life remaining in the old oil at that mileage.

I have a very low mileage Dodge truck that I recently pushed the OCI to 21 months on (but only 3,700 miles). I am still waiting to hear the Blackstone results from the old oil from that change. While this truck does not see a lot of driving, it is hauling a camper for about half of the mileage it sees. Everyone's vehicle usage is different, so I recommend getting the oil checked by Blackstone if your use does not fit a normal pattern (or you are pushing out the OCI). I will probably not test my motor oil in either vehicle at every change, but will test from time to time.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't try this at home, but back in the early 90's I ran an old Subaru for over 3 yrs/36,000 miles on one oil change (AMSOIL 10w-40); however, I had installed a by-pass filter (that filtered down to about a tenth of a micron and absorbed water) and I changed it and the full flow filter annually. I don't have the documentation any more, but I had the oil analyzed each year prior to the filter changes, and the analyses always came back satisfactory. The only reason I changed the oil when I did is because I got carried away with a can of carburetor cleaner and I thought I might have contaminated the oil with it. Ohio winters finally got to the body, but the engine was still running well when I sold it.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 11-26-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 AM

it seems better to get a good oil and change it every 3000 miles instead of 5000,or 15,000.
you feel like your car is cleaner, oil wise
Old 12-02-2007, 01:11 AM

It's all "feel good." No science to it at all.

Get the oil tested when you drain it out. Find out how much life is actually left in the oil you are throwing away. With a synthetic motor oil, it will likely be a good oil you are throwing out. But only the lab can tell you for certain. "Feel good" does not work.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
It's all "feel good." No science to it at all.

Get the oil tested when you drain it out. Find out how much life is actually left in the oil you are throwing away. With a synthetic motor oil, it will likely be a good oil you are throwing out. But only the lab can tell you for certain. "Feel good" does not work.
more people should get their oil tested but don't they would actually benefit, just from reading threads on different boards I'm always wondering why owners with cars that hold 7 quarts of oil are changing the synthetic at such low mileage, just with the new 3.5 from Toyota in the Avalon, Camry, and Lexus vehicles so many owners change the oil at way before 5k and then what makes me laugh is all the other fluids are original, car hits the used car marked and has oil changes every 3k but it has 60kplus on it and nothing else has been changed