Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Post info about your longest Oil Change Interval (OCI)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Ya you know whats crazy is that synthetic oil in the rear differential was indeed found to increase gas mileage ( like less that 1mpg) thats going to be the area of a modern car that encounters the greatest resistance to viscosity.

In a fwd car that part is not actually lubed. The closest thing is just the automatic transmission.( or manual)

Having a thinner oil that also gets thicker as it gets hotter would have the greatest influence on gas mileage there because its just a gear spinning through oil. Next stop is the wheel.

Synthetic grease in the wheel bearings has a small increase too.

However back to the engine? Almost nothing.

the micro horsepower it takes to pump 10/30 over o 30 cant really be detected.

Last edited by stamar; 06-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Oiltest.html

I cant find the orignal document yet so both i and this page are paraphrasing it.

But after 60k miles no taxi cab showed more wear with dino or conventional oil.

No difference was shown with 6k or 3k intervals. (after teh first 2 changes). Amsoil was used in this test too.

No gas mileage differences. A taxi cab receives extreme service dont go thinking your pimped out maxima does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

heres another thing i found referencing the consumer reports thing.

i went on a short link jump from the wikipedia page to some interesting facts on oil changes. Almost all data says that a car made since the 80s shouldnt have its oil changed more than 6000k miles.
Theres something that shows the state of california is putting out an education campaign to tell people to change their oil less because it is an enviormental hazard.

Last edited by stamar; 06-23-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Given the length of your OCI, perhaps you should do yourself a favour and stop using the Fram filter and go with a decent one.
I probably should, however like I said I've been using the same oil, filter, and fuel combo for some time now and I don't suspect that I have all sorts of particulate coming off of the engine. I don't drive especially hard, considering the cost of gas. nearly $50 a tank for me so I have little room to waste gas.

If anything I will probably switch to the Mobil 1 filter on my next change. I don't drive especially hard
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by stamar
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Oiltest.html

I cant find the orignal document yet so both i and this page are paraphrasing it.

But after 60k miles no taxi cab showed more wear with dino or conventional oil.

No difference was shown with 6k or 3k intervals. (after teh first 2 changes). Amsoil was used in this test too.

No gas mileage differences. A taxi cab receives extreme service dont go thinking your pimped out maxima does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

heres another thing i found referencing the consumer reports thing.

i went on a short link jump from the wikipedia page to some interesting facts on oil changes. Almost all data says that a car made since the 80s shouldnt have its oil changed more than 6000k miles.
Theres something that shows the state of california is putting out an education campaign to tell people to change their oil less because it is an enviormental hazard.
I remember the Consumer Reports Article well. First of all, it's nearly 15 years old and a lot has changed since then. Secondly, I believe they limited the test to 6,000 miles, a range in which petroleum is supposed to perform...what would have happened if they had extended the intervals out to 10K, 12K or beyond? I also recall (but can't readily put my hands on it) the rebuttal that challenged the protocol they used in the testing. For example, CR described conditions under which sludge was created and they concluded that there was no noticeable difference in the amount of sludge between the engines using petroleum versus synthetics. However, under their own admission, the test conditions they used were not conducive for the generation of sludge. CR can be a good reference for some products, but one needs to consider their opinions with other information that is available...

All oils are not the same and all synthetics are not the same. I agree with Bobo that if one is going to change oil every 3,000 miles or so, (and if you're concerned about saving a couple bucks) its probably not worth the investment to use synthetics. However, if you intend to extend service intervals beyond OEM recommendations, I would recommend a quality synthetic which is specifically formulated for extended drain intervals.

You're also right about California...in '08 GM teamed with the CA EPA and its Integrated Waste Management Board to promote the States "3,000-mile myth" campaign encouraging drivers to follow the OEM's recommended drain intervals. GM, with their on-board oil life monitoring system, allows users to extend OCI's based on their driving habits.

Ford has also recently issued an "automotive maintenence myths" statement that is contrary to traditional 3,000 mile OCI and that promotes the use of synthetic oils. The statement reads that the 3,000 mile OCI "used to be true, but not with the newer cars...because of synthetic oils that don't break down as quickly, consumers actually don't need oil changes as often - more like every 5,000 miles to 7500 miles - or even 10,000 miles on the new 2011 Mustang depending on your driving habits".

Many of the high end Europen car-makers have required synthetic oils and promoted extended OCIs for years.

In the years ahead, I think we are going to see drain interval recommendations continue to climb. And with that, I think it is prudent to use a synthetic oil that is specifically formulated for extended drains.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 06-26-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Well Consumer reports article is 15 years older...

You have to consider the more than 6000 mile thing and try to add in some other test to it.

But actually all things considered it has more weight than anything anywhere. Its 75 vehicles going to 60000 miles.

It doesnt nail all the information down you need. for instance my car is a 98, its japanese those cars were 95 and american.

Theres a lot of data to consider. Theres the data of people who have owned a lot of cars and they like this.....
Smaller chemical test data showing like particles and acids....but what does that mean in real life? unknown just a suggestion.

in the end youd need to see data like that consumer reports thing to be closer to sure. The most important thing it shows me that I wont forget is that conventional dino oil protects the engine as well as can be done. Theres no room for improvement, no additive to add.

Last edited by stamar; 06-28-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM

every 3k miles im like "rnaymik" takes about 50 to fill the car so i need to save moneyy lol
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 AM

My last oil change was done around 6k miles. It had Mobil1 5W-30 but now it has 10W-30. Always use Mobil1 filter and always change the filter with the oil change.

Engine does have a small leak and tend to add a quart around every 1.5 months.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM

I change every 4400 to 4600 miles using Mobil1 5W-30 with a Mobil filter
Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM

84 diesel Rabbit just changed filter and kept adding oil. Seriously though, I changed it at about 4 or 5K, although I didn't need to. At the rate i added it, the oil didn't have a chance to get old.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
STFU n00b!

Bought my wife's old Altima at 19,000 miles. we ran Mobil 1 in it and changed the filter at 6,000 miles and added a quart (to top it off), then changed the oil at 12,000 miles.

combination of houston city traffic as well as open highways. just lots of driving on that car.
We sold it 5 years later with 160k miles on the clock and it was still running great. About a year ago I heard from the guy that has it now, and it rolled 200k with no problems. He still does the 12k OCI as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 AM

Longest was 7,427 miles. Being lazy on my part. Usually its every 6000 miles.

Mobil 1 EP 5W-30
Mobil 1 EP Oil filter.