Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

concrete sealer / topcoat

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 AM

concrete sealer / topcoat

I need to seal my garage and drive to protect from winter salt and rain water penetration. Also, from spills, etc. Any suggestions? I've seen some non-toxic, water-based products w/ essentially a lifetime warranty. Not sure if I will apply "paint" or epoxy in the garage, since many of those seem to be slippery type of finish so thinking of just a good cleaning and sealer products.

Suggestions? I've come across this so far:

http://www.solvingconcreteproblems.c...nformation.htm

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:59 AM

Get the Epoxy with or without sprinkles. There are little anti-slip pouches that you can purchase for about $3 a pouch, so the slippery part is gone. Make sure to purchase a clear coat as well.

This would be a time consuming event since scrubbing all of the previous paint off will be a *****, but make sure to get most if not all of it off.

I just did all of this in my dads garage about a month ago and it is holding up very well except for some dirty stains that could be wiped up easily. One thing that I did not do which I regret is not doing a clear coat They did not have it at Home Depot and I wasn't aware of it until after we finished it.

With clear coat and all supplies, you will be looking at about $500-$600...OR pay $2,000 and have Home Depot do it for you lol

g/l
Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 AM

My concrete has no finish on it at all....so no need to get the old paint off.

How well does this epoxy hold up to wrenches falling on it, scrapes, etc? That is one concern I have over a "paint type" of finish...scratches. If I just put on a good clear sealer, then I dont have to be concerned w/ that or slipping & falling, either. I dont want a floor to look great for 3 weeks and then look like crap after something is dragged on the floor by my kids/wife, whatever and then wish I had never "painted" it and cant do anything but live w/ it. That is why I am on here looking for info...hoping to get firm info from someone's good/bad experiences.

Thks.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 AM

hmmmm...this probably won't be for you then.

I mean, it may be a different story if you put the clear coat on it though.

Only thing "bad" so far, is that I've just gotten it dirty from my mechanic gloves, but thats about it. As long as nothing huge/heavy is dragged across it, I wouldn't see it as a problem. BUT, I do place card-board and tarps under my jack and stands when I work on the car, just to help protect the floor. Only chip that has occurred thus far was when the wheel of the jack slipped into the little crevice that divides the garage, but that's about it.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 AM

sorry i didnt see this a while ago but....epoxy is right. devoe high performance coatings website has Bar-Rust multi purpose epoxy kits. we sell them here, very cheap, like $160 for 5 gallon kit, without the sprinkles,lol. but it only comes in gray or white, but im sure you could tint it with color. hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whatever you do, stay away from the waterbased or '1 part' epoxy systems....they do not last, esp under hot tires...
Old 11-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Conecarver

I did the RustOleum Epoxy a couple years ago. This was after an awful experience using just a cheapo exterior oil type paint that "said" good for garages.

Good - holds up pretty well to abuse and spills. Looks great and cleans easily with a hose and squeege/leaf blower.

Bad - jacks and such can scrape it off but only where I didn't acid etch/clean real good during prep. Humidity, rain, snow is problematic - even with the anti-slip it still gets wet and stays that way - concrete can't absorb and will stay for days (winter real tough).

IMO - Don't use a gray or dark color, nuts/bolts, and parts get lost too easy. I choose a light blue myself that helps reflect light and makes the whole space seem less harsh. Don't add the black/dark paint flecks unless you the dropped part hunting thing.

Click here to enlarge
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 AM

white would be the best if u are a clean and organized person. It would make everything seem brighter
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm considering etching and sanding my garage floor and then staining the concrete and reseal. Staining the concrete is pretty easy and you don't the paint lifting issues. I don't know that's had much luck with an over-the-shelf epoxy coating on a 1 year+ old garage floor that didn't have paint lifting issues due to hot tires.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 PM

While my concrete was still new, following building a new garage, I painted the floors with an epoxy garage paint. It is slippery sometimes, but cleans up so nicely.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies. I still have not done anything yet since Fall was short and then Winter set in. My biggest problem is now cleaning the darn floor from stains/rust/oil etc. I am not one for strong chemicals, but I've found a non-toxic formula that has worked "ok" but still lots to clean up yet that did not come up w/ the cleaner.

I've heard some of those stronger ones can etch the concrete and do more harm than good. Sure, I want a sealer on it, but I also have to clean it first and that was quite a problem last fall so I never even got to the next step!

Suggestions?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 AM
STFU n00b!

you might want to look at the installation instructions for the sealer products you'll be using. They recommend certain cleaning and prep procedures- some of them specific to their product.

If your floor is really oil or severely stained, you may be out of luck on avoidign strong chemicals.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 PM

I spent twice as much time prepping my concrete floor than painting it. It does not matter what epoxy you use it is all in the prep. Also you must nave perfect conditions when appling it (temperature and humidity)I used RustOleum and it is holding great. Rests salt, oil and mosture. Everything cleans right off it.

BEFORE

AFTER

NOW
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

While my concrete was still new, following building a new garage, I painted the floors with an epoxy garage paint. It is slippery sometimes, but cleans up so nicely.

Last edited by sifa123; 11-24-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Maxger--

Is the b4 pic just before the epoxy or is it prior to any cleaning as well? Mine looks tons worse than that pic, that is for sure!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM

yes that is just before applying the epoxy. I also had 2 kits so I had to apply it quickly. I mixed two kits together to get a consitant color. I need some help to apply it. I also waited 4 days to apply it before I got the right temperature and humidity(rained for 2 days straight outside). Just like the 3 bears not too hot not too cold. ( not to moist not too dry) myslab was quite new so the surface was in good condition but I had some oil stains to remove. I used concentrated TSP to remove the sains the best I could. Must of wash and rinsed the floor 4 times atleast.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Maxger-

Thanks. Question: Did you get the TSP stuff at like H.Depot type of store? Was it a nasty hazardous stuff? Info on it and how powerful a cleaner it was?