Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

No Garage to do my own work..what to do?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 PM

No Garage to do my own work..what to do?!?!

So i've literally been trying to figure this out for months. I tried going to mom and pop shops and they said no, looked into local warehouse rentals but too expensive since i'm not in the car repair business. Tried posting on CL to see who will let me work in their home garage...cheaper than the warehouses but still too expensive. A friend told me i can use her garage but eh, i think she was just being nice. I have shocks, axles, radiator support, spark plugs etc to do so it may get dirty in there and I dont want to wear out my welcome. Tried the parking lot thing but I need shelter. Any other suggestions would be appreciated...or if you have a shop in the SFL area and can let me do it there that would be great lol. We can work $omething out.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:15 AM
Administrator

The things on your list are easy to do. Although a garage is nice to work in, I could see you pulling it off working outside in your parking lot/spot. very soon the weather will be nice and you'll be able to tackle these projects outside, one project at a time, one day at a time.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 PM

You could rent a self storage unit for a month, although the prices are kind of high. Most of them probably won't let you store a car in there because of gasoline being a fire hazard. But people do it anyway. Call the place and ask about that. Just don't work with the door open.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
The things on your list are easy to do. Although a garage is nice to work in, I could see you pulling it off working outside in your parking lot/spot. very soon the weather will be nice and you'll be able to tackle these projects outside, one project at a time, one day at a time.
Sloped driveway

Busy street

Can't work on the car at home

I tried doing it at a local high school parking lot but police came and gave me a warning... I was swapping the suspension so I'm not sure how they would even tow the car
Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Sloped driveway

Busy street

Can't work on the car at home

I tried doing it at a local high school parking lot but police came and gave me a warning... I was swapping the suspension so I'm not sure how they would even tow the car
If you had a tricycle George you could work on it in any parking lot and all you need is some wd40 a wrench and some allen keys
Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM

I was recently renting a house year back while I was working on my maxima. Had no garage but rented a storage unit. I built my current headers in that storage unit. With 110v power and one outlet. Ive even had a previous situation where I bought a generator for lights etc cause I had no power. Its amazing what you can do without a garage space. If you have a back yard look into portable tents they sell at home depot etc. For outside storage. Co worker uses one to stores his mowers etc in there but plenty room to fit car in and do what your looking to do.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
If you had a tricycle George you could work on it in any parking lot and all you need is some wd40 a wrench and some allen keys
I swapped tires inside a car wash bay at 4 AM once
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I didn't have a garage, I would buy the parts at the auto store and install them right there.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 AM

So I decided on this place called garage yourself and it works "for now" http://www.garageyourself.com/

I'm looking into buying a house this year so I should be good to go. If I can't get one with a garage I'll at least shoot for one with a car accessible back yard and get a tent and also a shed for tool storage.