General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How I spent $1500 on my Max. ->

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 07:12 PM

Hi guys.

I have a 2k GXE 5-speed.
I spent $1500 on upgrading my stereto system, because as you all know, GXE 5-speed is as cheap as Maximas get,
and the factory steroe just SUCKED big time!

BUT, I have doubts now.
Do you think it was worth it to spend that much money on a GXE? I mean, I added the spoiler and the foglights too, which cost me another $400. So I spent about $2000 on my GXe. I could've used the money to just buy the SE in the first place. (but at the time I got the car, I was planning on using the money to payoff my credit cards).

I need to get some wheels too. If I get the wheels, I will have spent about $3000 total on my Max.

If i had just gotten the SE in the first place, it would've came with all the goodies, including the nice SE fabric.

My stereo system is awesome, though.

I have a double din aluminum color Pioneer deck, with both the cd player and the cassette player. It fills up the console really nicely. I also replaced all the speakers with Polk speakers, which are powered by an amp. I have a sub-woofer with separate amp. Unlike the Bose, however, I can control the woofer separately. I can turn it on and off, and adjust it completely independent of the 4 speakers. So I like that. It looks pretty neat. It looks awesome at night, with the equalizer display dancing.

I know that what I spent is nothing in the "car audio world". But I am not really an audion person. Just basic good sound will suit me fine.

I just don't think I spent my money wisely.
What do you all think?

but
Even If I had gotten the SE, I would have had to pay $900 for the Bose system, which I think my system is as good as, if not better.
Old 12-19-2000, 07:17 PM

If any of us wanted to spend our money wisely we'd buy the cheapest oldest car that could run....ie an 82 VW rabbit diesel. Yes you could have gotten alot of goodies with the SE but to each their own. You are not alone in your upgrades to your GXE. You could have bought some stocks, paid off your credit card, applied tthe money to start a business....but we each choose to spend our wad our own way...
Old 12-19-2000, 07:57 PM
Southpaw17

SPEND IT ALL MAN U CANT TAKE IT WITH YOU.

DEBO:d:

Old 12-19-2000, 08:17 PM
jsmiam

You did good on the stereo... You should post model numbers for the benefit of people in the future.

As far as wisdom goes, the GXE 5-speed is huge value and a great car to own, but somewhat of a tough situation when resale time comes along. When you try to sell it, you have to find someone of a similar mindset to you, a car enthusiast who recognizes a unique value. The problem is, there are a lot more "regular people" out there (the public at large), than "car enthusiasts" (everyone here, for example), and when the time to sell comes along, you just want somebody, anybody, to come buy the car from you.

I can attest first hand to the difficulty in selling a 5 Speed GXE. Sighhhhh....

However, in a feeble attempt to be funny, I did post the top 10 reasons to buy a GXE instead of an SE over in my "maxima for sale" thread. Any additions to my list?

Top 10 reasons to buy a GXE if you're a Maxima fanatic: (Drum roll)..........

1. You're gonna replace all the springs and suspension parts and rims and tires anyway... save money by starting with a GXE instead of an SE
2. No Bose stereo to throw away
3. Cool extra storage compartment underneath the standard size stereo, since there's no Bose or Double DIN stereo in the way
4. More money to spend on other stuff
5. The classy wood panel center console

Ok, ok, it was only the top 5... I think I made some good points, though... :-)

Thanks

Old 12-19-2000, 08:47 PM

Hey jsmiam here are my top 5->

1) the classy chrome treatment [the effect was stronger before the 2k changeover, because now, even the SEs have chrome around the window frames,].

2) no leather shift **** to throw away. HAH AHAHHA!
but then, I miss the leathet steering wheel TERRIBLY

3) ADDED SAFETY MEASURES: We can't go over 118 mph (us 5-speed guys). So, even when we are tempted, we can be assured that out speed hormones will not get the best of us.
I really feel safer knowing that I WILL NOT EVER go above 118 mph.

4) You will feel less stupid if you total it.
When you total it, at least you can tell yourself, "Woo Hoo, Now I get to go shopping for a SE!!"
Because of the safety measure, I think most of us will not get serioiusly get hurt in a GXE crash.

5) .

you know what, I can only think of four. I've been thinking for over 1 hour, but I can only come up with 4.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:17 PM
jsmiam

COOL, great additions!

Hey, in theory, this would seem to make sense, but I have no factual data.... Would GXE insurance cost less?

Ohh, another good possible one, depends on the answer... do models above the GXE all come with standard factory alarm systems (which you'd have to throw away)?

[Edited by jsmiam on 12-19-2000 at 11:21 PM]

Old 12-19-2000, 09:24 PM

Insurance is screwed up.

My brother is paying $90 a month for his 98 SE auto, and I'm paying $105 a month for my 2k GXE.

I thought mine would be cheaper.

Maybe it's because mine is a 5th gen.
but even back in 98, when my brother's car was brand new, it cost less than $105.

I can't figure insurance out.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:45 PM

ArcticMax is very stupid.

You can get any CD player you want for 300 bucks at Crutchfield and it's a breeze to install it. Installing stereos are same as adding a computer hard drive. All you do is just plug those connectors together. He could even have gotten one of those cd players that play mp3's. And then you can get descent 16" wheels for 800-900 bucks or even 17" wheels for around 1100. That's like hundred bucks less than $1500. ArcticMax got too excited by his new GXE and thought he was a hardcore audiophile for a moment. It doesnt make a difference to him whether he has a nice $300 Sony cd player or a $1500 Pioneer one. I know this because he's my brother. Now he wants wheels but of course he doesnt have the cash right now and that's why he goes around painting his GXE hubcaps and stuff. Yeah, he painted his hubcaps white. It looks surprisingly good actually.
I am getting tired of my SE wheels. If arcticmax contributes like 2,300 hundred bucks to my wheel fund, I might get new wheels and give mine to him.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:51 PM
jsmiam

Darn, I was sure insurance would be in the GXE's favor.

I wonder if the insurance people are smarter than they look, and know that 5-speeds are much faster than automatics?

Perhaps there was an alarm in your brothers car? and/or ABS?

Or perhaps that ticket for doing 118 in a 40 mph zone has something to do with it, Arctic? :-) (kidding)

Old 12-19-2000, 09:58 PM
Sly

Re: Hey jsmiam here are my top 5->

Originally posted by ArcticMax

3) ADDED SAFETY MEASURES: We can't go over 118 mph (us 5-speed guys). So, even when we are tempted, we can be assured that out speed hormones will not get the best of us.
I really feel safer knowing that I WILL NOT EVER go above 118 mph.

Actually, the limiter is at 130 mph. The sad thing is, even bone stock, it still pulls hard all the way up to the speed limiter.
Old 12-19-2000, 10:13 PM

Are you sure?

are you sure it's at 130?
I thought it was a established fact that GXE 5-speeds are governed at 118 or so?

Hell, if it really is 130, I would be very happey!!!
I wish I could test it, but I can't afford another ticket.

TO JSMIAM:

My brother's car din't come with any alarm or ABS.
and in the 5th gen, all Maximas come with alarm and ABS.

Old 12-19-2000, 10:28 PM
Sly

I don't know where the 118 number came from but my GXE 5 spd came with 15" H-rated Dunlop SP5000's from the factory. The one time I was feeling brave and conditions were good I pushed it as hard as it would go and sure enough, the speed limiter kicked in at 130 causing the engine to start cutting out. There's probably some legal reasons like liability that they program the limiter for the speed rating of the OE tires.
Old 12-20-2000, 02:17 AM
OG :)

Originally posted by ArcticMax
Do you think it was worth it to spend that much money on a GXE?
if you have to ask, then i wouldn't spend anymore other than gas and maintenance
Old 12-20-2000, 08:37 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Artic-

If you want some wheels, you may want to consider my old 17" Team Locos with the anthracite finish (very similiar to 4DSCs 18" anthracite wheels on his white 00 GXE). They are in perfect condition and have Sumitomo 235/45s. They are the 7 spoke 142 series wheel. They weigh about 44lbs each. I'll sell them for $675 if or when your interested.

Dave
Old 12-20-2000, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Modding is a disease!

However I personally would have spent $1500 on rims and race tires, or maybe coilovers (wait, I don't think those are available from Cattman yet...)...
Old 12-20-2000, 11:10 AM

REasons to buy a GXE:

(1) It's got one extra letter in its model type
(2) No annoying spoiler to slow you down
(3) Softer suspension so you can float down the hwy
(4) takes more effort ot do a 3 point turn b/c of steering
gears-what a workout!
(5) You want a TRUE SLEEPER car.
(6) That way your grandma will like driving it too...

Old 12-20-2000, 12:04 PM
jsmiam

Ooooh, good ones.. I'll add those to my list!

I guess, "No distracting white speedometer and gauges to look at" and "No fog lights to increase aerodynamic drag and burn up the battery" have to be added too..... I just hope Nissan doesn't decide to stop making the SE because of this list! :-)

By the way.. back to topic briefly... Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds don't necessarily itemize whether a car with Alloy wheels should be factory wheels or not, so I adding alloy wheels to a GXE aftermarket will help the resale/trade-in value somewhat. I know for my 97, alloy wheels only added something like $150 to the blue book value, so it's not like the wheels pay for themselves, but every little bit helps...