General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP!! Installed H&R/Tociko today but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 03:18 PM

The new back shocks/springs are rattling and clanking loud when driving and the back bounces ALOT. We installing, new springs were not compressed because they fit well into the shock, the nut was tightened and we put them on the can. When the shocks were on the car, we tighed it some more (knowing that the spring was now compressed by the weight of the car). Could not compressing before putting them on the car be the problem? Ohh, the car seemed fine when we first put them on, but after driving the "got soft". Please help, I am going to try to fix this tomarrow morning.
Old 12-09-2000, 07:35 PM

Please keep us updated, because this exact same set up is going on my car on Monday!! I hope I don't have the same problem. Thanks.

Originally posted by maxspeed5
The new back shocks/springs are rattling and clanking loud when driving and the back bounces ALOT. We installing, new springs were not compressed because they fit well into the shock, the nut was tightened and we put them on the can. When the shocks were on the car, we tighed it some more (knowing that the spring was now compressed by the weight of the car). Could not compressing before putting them on the car be the problem? Ohh, the car seemed fine when we first put them on, but after driving the "got soft". Please help, I am going to try to fix this tomarrow morning.
Old 12-09-2000, 07:49 PM

Did you check to make sure you put the front springs on the front and rear springs in the rear? You never know..
Old 12-09-2000, 09:03 PM

same happened to me

hi-
I had a set of springs put on my max by a reputable local speed shop last summer. When i was driving home the car was all bouncy the aliugnment was off and it was making wierd noises. When i took it to the alignment shop they said some moron had put the sptings in the wrong way. They didnt align the last coil proporly in its seat causing the top "ha" of the strut to not sit right on both front shocks. Maby this happened to you too.
Old 12-10-2000, 03:37 AM

I agree that sounds like what the problem is-->>

make sure you have clocked the spring on the strut correctly it's probably sliding around a bit..And make sure it's right side up..

Originally posted by fsumax
hi-
I had a set of springs put on my max by a reputable local speed shop last summer. When i was driving home the car was all bouncy the aliugnment was off and it was making wierd noises. When i took it to the alignment shop they said some moron had put the sptings in the wrong way. They didnt align the last coil proporly in its seat causing the top "ha" of the strut to not sit right on both front shocks. Maby this happened to you too.
Old 12-10-2000, 05:48 AM

Re: I agree that sounds like what the problem is-->>

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
make sure you have clocked the spring on the strut correctly it's probably sliding around a bit..And make sure it's right side up..

hi-

Like I said, we didn't compress the back springs when we put them in. When I drove it though, alignment was fine, just the back bouncing and rattling/clanking all over the place. Will take apart today and see...any more ideas? Thanks...
Old 12-10-2000, 06:21 AM

Compressing them is not the problem-->>

I'm talking about clocking them on the strut correctly before you tightened up the assembly..

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima

hi-

Like I said, we didn't compress the back springs when we put them in. When I drove it though, alignment was fine, just the back bouncing and rattling/clanking all over the place. Will take apart today and see...any more ideas? Thanks...
Old 12-10-2000, 09:18 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Phoung,
It's almost impossible to misfit the front spring for the rear springs on the Maxima. The front coils are about 10" in diameter and the rear are about 5" =).

Originally posted by got rice?
Did you check to make sure you put the front springs on the front and rear springs in the rear? You never know.. [/I]
Old 12-10-2000, 02:38 PM

I had a similar situation, and all I did to make the noise go away was to jack up the corners, and twist the spring into place to seat them properly again. Make sure that the lettering on the springs are facing towards you (facing out from the car) when you install them.

Hope it works out.
Old 12-10-2000, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Phoung,
It's almost impossible to misfit the front spring for the rear springs on the Maxima. The front coils are about 10" in diameter and the rear are about 5" =).
hey, you never know! lol