General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5 speed: no use for clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Basically, yes. When you put pressure on the lever after lifting off the gas, you'll feel when the transmission ready to shift. It helps if you know what rpm the car will go to in the next gear, that's the time that you have to complete the shift. Get below that and the shift won't happen.
english please!!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2

english please!!
Okay, take a 3-4 upshift. You're in 3rd and lightly accelerating to about 35 mph. When you shift to 4th, the rpm will be about 1500 at this speed. After letting off the gas, you will be able to slide the lever out gear and into neutral. Approaching 1500 rpm is when you will be able to slide it into 4th. That is when the input and output shaft speeds will be similar. Trying to force it too soon will result in grinding. If you wait too long and the rpm drops too far, the same thing will occur. Hence, you missed your window and need to start over. Does this make more sense?
Old 10-03-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Okay, take a 3-4 upshift. You're in 3rd and lightly accelerating to about 35 mph. When you shift to 4th, the rpm will be about 1500 at this speed. After letting off the gas, you will be able to slide the lever out gear and into neutral. Approaching 1500 rpm is when you will be able to slide it into 4th. That is when the input and output shaft speeds will be similar. Trying to force it too soon will result in grinding. If you wait too long and the rpm drops too far, the same thing will occur. Hence, you missed your window and need to start over. Does this make more sense?
FO SHO BROTHA!! thanks!!

wait so this means that I can slip into neutral at any time, but i have to watch when i put it into the next gear right? what about downshifting?
Old 10-03-2002, 05:14 PM
mb1

ok I tried this on the 3-4 shift like Sprintmax said. the first time it went flawlesly. the second, I gound the gear. then I could pull it out of third, but it would not go into 4th for anything. this is very possible and easy with practice.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2

FO SHO BROTHA!! thanks!!

wait so this means that I can slip into neutral at any time, but i have to watch when i put it into the next gear right? what about downshifting?
To slide the lever out of gear you have to 'unload' any pressure on the transmission gears. You do this by giving the car just enough throttle so you are neither accelerating nor engine braking. If you put light pressure on the shift lever while slowly letting off the gas you will feel it slide into neutral when you reach the right point.

To down shift you would have to raise the RPMs while the car is in nuetral before you slid the lever into gear. For example - If second gear at 30 MPH is 4000 rpm, then if you were travling 30 mph you would hold the RPMs at 4000 then slide into second.

IMHO this is a useless trick that can cause excesive wear or damage to the transmission if not done perfectly.

Originally posted by SprintMax
i only do it to impress the ladies

me: question.. do you need to use the clutch to shift?

A)
her: of course you do..
me: oh yeah.. watch this
her: Oooohhh SprintMax
Old 10-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Handsome

and we all know premature *anything* is not a good thing.

My question is why would you want to do this. For daily driving is it really that much trouble to use the clutch. During a race the rev inbetween shifts gives you a good advantage. Cost to benefit is not really weighing in favor of trying to master this.

But yes I have seen this done before to, but on old beaters, tell your friend with the M5 to be carefull, thats an awesome car.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:14 PM

It's funny, when this thread was revived, it pretty much just started to repeat itself exactly.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SamMan23
It's really easy on the 2002 6-speed when driving it hard. You have to be quick though. The dealer salesman showed me.
Lol...defiently don't buy that car...what he did is terrible! Clutchless shifting is what Semi-trucks use because their trucks have no syncros and thats pretty much how you HAVE to shift. Speed shifting is when you never take your foot off the gas pedal and blip the clutch while you shift to the next gear really fast. Duoble clutching is when you push in the clutch, put the tranny in neutral, release the clutch, push the clutch back in, put it the next gear, and then release the clutch. Double clutching in effect resets the syncros so there is very minimal wear. What your salesman did was shift so hard that it FORCED the syncros to adjust INSTANTLY, which done enough times WILL wear out your syncros prematurely and more then likely break one of the shifting forks. Some people should really make sure they know whats going on before they try it....where the "Howsthat****work.com" for dumbazz's when you need it.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I've been shifting my Yamaha with no clutch for 51K miles. No problems with the gear box yet. And thats high miles for a bike.
Bikes have sequential tranmissions, totally different.

Ant