General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

buying maxima in canada,, part 2 or 3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:55 PM

buying maxima in canada,, part 2 or 3?

i havent been here in a long time,, but i remember a long post about how to buy cars (maximas) in canada,, roughly a year ago actually. dont worry, i searched and found the guys name and just emailed him.

Anyway, anyone here actually do it? Emax said he was in that particular thread, and i know he did buy one, but was it from canada? how did it work out? just like JonL said? no BS to go through? worth it?

thanks.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:07 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=3

thats the thread im talking about, btw.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just purchased a 99 SE from a dealer in Toronto. No real problems. Steps:

1. Contact Nissan USA - you have to get a signed paper from Nissan saying the Maxima meets all US emissions stuff. You'll need this when trying to import the car.
2. Travel to Canada (get your passport ready!)
3. Buy car.
4. Travel to border. Get your bill of sale stamped by Canadian border officials, showing that you are exporting the car (this is what allows you to get Canada's 7.5% tax refunded).
5. Also at border, pay US customs people an importation fee. I believe it is 2.5% of the purchase price.
6. Drive home.
7. Register car in your state. Here, you pay your state/local sales tax.

Done! My car's ECU is set to KMs, but I believe you should be able to change it. I've been too lazy so far to call the dealer. Also, your gauges have to be in MPH, and Canadian Maximas might come in KPH....something to talk to the dealer about beforehand.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: buying maxima in canada,, part 2 or 3?

Originally posted by brettcassidy
i havent been here in a long time,, but i remember a long post about how to buy cars (maximas) in canada,, roughly a year ago actually. dont worry, i searched and found the guys name and just emailed him.

Anyway, anyone here actually do it? Emax said he was in that particular thread, and i know he did buy one, but was it from canada? how did it work out? just like JonL said? no BS to go through? worth it?

thanks.
I ended up buying my car localy.