General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 04:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

UPDATE: Check page 2 of this thread for pics!!!!

Well actually I started the job yesterday. Got the rear calipers painted. I'm using the Folia Tec system, Silver, nice stuff! I had to buy two bolts to pull one of my rear rotors off. That sucker would not budge. The cross drilled rotors look awsome, and the metal axxis pads sure do look like metal brake material. I almost had the rears complete last night and then the rain came down. It rained hard for a good 2 - 3 hours, so I went to the gym with a buddy of mine and called it a night.

It's 7:20 AM, I'm having my coffee and then I'm off to finish the job. I've got the fronts to do, bleed and flush the brake system with new fluid. I'm also going to replace the dust boots on the front struts while I've got the thing apart.

I took a few pics while I took the rear brakes apart. I'll take more today and put them up later on this afternoon or tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:12 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Well actually I started the job yesterday. Got the rear calipers painted. I'm using the Folia Tec system, Silver, nice stuff! I had to buy two bolts to pull one of my rear rotors off. That sucker would not budge. The cross drilled rotors look awsome, and the metal axxis pads sure do look like metal brake material. I almost had the rears complete last night and then the rain came down. It rained hard for a good 2 - 3 hours, so I went to the gym with a buddy of mine and called it a night.

It's 7:20 AM, I'm having my coffee and then I'm off to finish the job. I've got the fronts to do, bleed and flush the brake system with new fluid. I'm also going to replace the dust boots on the front struts while I've got the thing apart.

I took a few pics while I took the rear brakes apart. I'll take more today and put them up later on this afternoon or tomorrow.
and fun...

and do not blow out you master cylinder..
Old 08-03-2002, 11:09 AM

UPDATE

It's 2PM and I'm finished, showered and just ate lunch. In another 1-1/2 hours the paint will be dry and I can assemble the brakes. The Folia Tec paint is awsome. It leaves a very hard epoxy shell on the caliper. It's 90+ degrese here so hopefully it will set up quicker then usual. I'm going to test drive the car around dusk tonight. Theres a break in for the new brakes. Slow stops from 35MPH 10 times with 1/3 of a mile cool off in between. Hopefully all goes well, I used a disc brake anti squeal on the back of all my old hardware. Everything was taken apart and cleaned throughly. All the old hardware was in great shape. The pics will be up shortly.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend!

Tom
Old 08-03-2002, 11:13 AM

I painted my back brakes black and I'm gonna do the fronts today. Mine used to be gold, but I'm liking the dark black, cause 1) it hides the dirt and 2) it hides the calipers so more attention is placed on the chrome rims
Old 08-03-2002, 10:33 PM

Nice work Tom,

LOL, Is there anything you won't do on your car by yourself? hehe, get some pics up soon.

Kevin
Old 08-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've got the same paint in the same color that I bought from Nathan back in Jan 2001. I hope it's still useable, does anyone know?

I'm also changing out the rotors, pads, ss lines, and fluid. I'm just waiting for the right moment. The directions that come with the paint tell you to let the paint dry for 24 hours before driving, did you do this?
Old 08-04-2002, 02:56 PM

i did mine to match the car.

Ant
Old 08-04-2002, 06:44 PM

all the info you will ever need about painting calipers

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=70779
Old 08-04-2002, 07:14 PM

me and ghepetto are gonna install my rotors, ss brakelines, and pads next sunday. Ive found writeups for everything to install except rotors, but when installing rotors do you just:
undo bolts and take off old rotor, then put new rotor on and put bolts on? Do you need to torque the bolts?
BTW- i got those X drilled rotors from race concepts
Old 08-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

So you're doing the brake flush too eh? ..with new lines or no?

off topic: Went by Christopher's on Saturday... which reminded me of last time I was there was with you and Eric

AnGe
Old 08-05-2002, 05:30 AM

Re: Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
So you're doing the brake flush too eh? ..with new lines or no?
Kept the stock brake lines. I didn't see the need for SS lines. Flushed all the fluid out. I baught this great vacuume pump sucker for doing work on my bike. It was so easy to suck the old fluid out of the system and replace it with new fluid. It becomes a one person job with that pump.

off topic: Went by Christopher's on Saturday... which reminded me of last time I was there was with you and Eric

AnGe
I almost took a spin down there this past Sunday. Instead I wound up doing my laundry.

I have pics of the new setup, I'll post them later this afternoon.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

laundry is good...make sure you have clean underwear!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Tom,

Do you still notice that groaning sound as you're easing off the brakes, or did the new sertup eliminate it?

Kevin
Old 08-05-2002, 08:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Originally posted by Kevin
Tom,

Do you still notice that groaning sound as you're easing off the brakes, or did the new sertup eliminate it?

Kevin
If I "creep" the car it will make that sound. The OEM brakes did the same thing. I don't notice any difference in noise, maybe a little more pad to rotor noise because of the X-Drilling and Metal Axis pads. Overall there smooth as silk with a bit more bite then the OEM brakes had. I'm very pleased so far. And they look excellent on my car. Totally finishes off the wheel/hub assy.

Kevin, did you get that left rear caliper looked at? Remember it wasn't wiping the rotor completely???
Old 08-05-2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Kevin, did you get that left rear caliper looked at? Remember it wasn't wiping the rotor completely???
Actually I did, the mechanic said it was fine. But I want to get a second opinion. You know any reliable shops up around north Jersey?

KEvin
Old 08-05-2002, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

Originally posted by Kevin

Actually I did, the mechanic said it was fine. But I want to get a second opinion. You know any reliable shops up around north Jersey?
KEvin
I do all my own work, so I can't help you out with a shop. If anything, have Nissan take a look at the caliper. Your mechanic said it was ok?? Have you looked at that rotor lately? Is the surface being completely wipped by the pads now? Maybe the new pads needed time to set up. We should have looked closer at that when we had your car apart. My new brakes swipped the rotors 100% from the start. I question why that rear on your car wasn't doing that. Something wasn't right.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Painted Calipers, X-Drilled Rotors and Pads being installed 2day

I do all my own work, so I can't help you out with a shop. If anything, have Nissan take a look at the caliper. Your mechanic said it was ok?? Have you looked at that rotor lately? Is the surface being completely wipped by the pads now? Maybe the new pads needed time to set up. We should have looked closer at that when we had your car apart. My new brakes swipped the rotors 100% from the start. I question why that rear on your car wasn't doing that. Something wasn't right.
Yeah,

I'm thinknig of going directly to Nissan and having them look at it as well as the have them look at the lower control arm noise. You know how my luck is with mechanics. But after being reminding of this issue I went and looked outside at the rotor. It doesn't seem to be wearing unevenly. I think that maybe when we initially started working on my car the parking brakes were on, and maybe a slight shift in the car caused that little but of swiping. Whaddya think?

Kevin

PS- I never did bother with the speed bleeders on my car, Tom. If you want them you are welcome to have them.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Check to see if the buttons on the caliper are joined with the indentions on the pad, mine were not 100% and left only 1/2 of the rotor surface touched. It helped my brakes performance a lot when I finally solved the prolbem.

There are 4 indentions on each caliper(rear) and one button behind the brake shoe, you need to line up 1 of those indentions with the button so it sets in there nicely, like a glove.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:56 PM

pics

Front without wheel

Rear without wheel
Old 08-05-2002, 08:02 PM

50,000 miles & 3.5 years later, how's this for a clean engine!

Old 08-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice!

Old 08-05-2002, 08:07 PM

How much do those rotors run and do they ever rust?
-Cyrus
Old 08-05-2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
How much do those rotors run and do they ever rust?
-Cyrus
The rotors and pads were 425 plus shipping. There Zinc plated so they'll never rust! The Zinc coating comes off where the pad wipes. Thats nice and shiny silver now, but the hub will stay just like you see it now.....CLEAN!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:27 PM

The rotors and pads were 425 plus shipping. There Zinc plated so they'll never rust! The Zinc coating comes off where the pad wipes. Thats nice and shiny silver now, but the hub will stay just like you see it now.....CLEAN!
That's too much for my budget! Do you know of any nice rustless rotors (prefferably drilled, front and back) that can be had for under or around $200? BTW I like the silver calipers... we think alike. You can barely see my rusty hubs in this one...

-Cyrus
Old 08-05-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: pics

very nice!
Old 08-05-2002, 08:39 PM

i just painted my hubs and calipers this past week. They match my car perfect and the best part about it, i see no more rust!

Ant
Old 08-06-2002, 04:11 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: 50,000 miles & 3.5 years later, how's this for a clean engine!

only 50k huh?? try 78k...

Old 08-06-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: Re: 50,000 miles & 3.5 years later, how's this for a clean engine!

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

only 50k huh?? try 78k...

That's pretty.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:10 AM
Jedi Knight

very nice Tom...what is next?