General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got my Crimestopper pager installed today… (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got my Crimestopper pager installed today… (LONG)

INSTALL:
Actually it took 2 days and $92.50, but it was worth it. I got my local shop, Premier Autosound, to do the job for me. The installed the unit behind the dash (radio dins) so nobody can cut the wires. You see, I could never have done something like that (which I did want done) so don’t flame me about not doing the install myself. Anyways only because I knew the guys there did they charge me 1.5 hours of work the first day (45/hour). It actually took them 4+ hours because they needed some info on programming the pager and Crimestopper would not call them back. Finally I went to go get the car at the end of the day and took it back this morning. Once they had the programming instructions they thought it would be a breeze but again they were wrong. It took them 2 hours of programming and the first thing the guy said to me when I walked in was “We got it done. It was impossible to program, but we got it done. We had to close all of the doors, trunk, hood, turn on the ignition, and turn off your dome light and then press the pager programming buttons all in 30 seconds.” So let me tell you all you do-it-yourselfers, you may need a buddy standing buy to help you close all of the latches. Today only cost me $25.

RANGE:
The product is awesome. Despite the horrid install (which granted I didn’t do), and the atrocious tech support, the product is very nice. Firstly the range – well, I couldn’t test it. I parked at one end of my Food Lion parking lot, and ran across the street to a gas station and the antenna meter didn’t even go down one notch. I even ran to the end of my maybe 500-yard street and still no fading in signal. So it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone UNLESS you work in a skyscraper. Crimestopper advertises a range of AT LEAST ˝ mile, and I can easily back that up. BTW when I ran to the end of my street there were several houses and trees in the way of the car and me (I couldn’t even seen it).

FUNCTION:
Well I’ll tell you right now, this is not the pager for lazy people UNLESS you (the lazy person) have an aftermarket alarm. You see every time I open a door, pop the trunk, pop the hood, or turn the ignition the pager goes off and I have to push 1 button to silence it. After so long it eventually goes off. For me it’s great, because I don’t mind pushing the extra button. However if you have an aftermarket alarm, it will activate and deactivate with your alarm’s arming and disarming. So it won’t go off when you use it but it will still work perfectly when thieves try to break in. Anyways it works very well, and I can easily tell when somebody opens my car doors, trunk, or hood even when the car is unlocked. That’s kinda nice because when you park in front of Food Lion for a minute to go buy something you can just run it and not worry about it. If somebody tries to open a door your pager will go off. A few things you might notice: every time you unlock the doors via keyless entry you have to push the alarm silence button. So every time you want to get in the car you have to push 2 buttons now instead of one. When you try to get out of the car after driving it for a few minutes the pager will go off. When you try to pop the trunk from halfway across the parking lot you have to push 2 buttons again instead of one. Every time you start the car, you have to push the silence button. Also for some reason it takes longer for the doors to unlock via remote - could somebody explain why to me? Of course you can easily turn the pager off (two buttons), but then it ruins the point of the pager, right? So if you don’t mind or get in the habit of pushing a button every time you do something it’s not bad at all. I got in the habit fast. Of course if you have an aftermarket alarm you don’t have to worry about any of these because it turn off when you disarm the car. I am using it stand-alone.

WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE:
I think that they should have a system where the pager turns off when the owner is within so many feet of the vehicle (like the new Benz alarms). After all it is a 2-way system. They should also have it so that it comes with 2 pagers instead of one, so if you misplace one you won’t be too stressed. If I were to buy a new one (pager) now (which I don’t know if I can), I would have to reprogram both pagers, and like I said earlier that is a b*tch. Also they should have made it so that you can program keyless entry into the pager. Would have been a nice touch to carry one less thing around.

Click here for a pic of the pager.

If you are interested in the product you can find a good description of it, instructions, and addendums here: www.millenniumsf.com

Sorry for the long, long write-up guys but some people wanted specifics. Plus I made it so that you can just jump to the section you want anyways.

-Cyrus
Old 08-03-2002, 07:22 PM

Yay!!!! Thanks Cyrus

I have 3 pdf files for the rcm-3000 pager and one is for the manual, the other is supplemental instructions for programming while the 3rd is something about a hood switch.

The manual says the pager will automatically shut off 30 seconds after the vehicle has been started. Maybe this will eliminate the need for you to push an extra button?
Old 08-03-2002, 07:24 PM

Oh, about the range, I'm sure it works really well in open areas. You going to the shopping mall anytime soon? Test it there, park farthest away from the building and then walk in to the mall .. see how it works then.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:36 PM

I bet you pray your pager doesnt go off!
Old 08-03-2002, 07:39 PM

Funny, the site www.millenniumsf.com only had two and those were the only 2 I needed. One the instructions, and one the install supplement (programming). I think the 3rd is probably for another unit. As for the 30-second thing - I don't know, I can't stand that beeping for 30 seconds. It's longer than you think and just worth hitting the button. I'm going to go try it right now though and I'll post back in about 3 minutes. I'm going near a mall tomorrow, I'll stop and try it out and hit this post back. It's a big mall so I should be able to test the range very well.

And my pager goes off every time I open the door, so I'm used to it going off so far.
-Cyrus
Old 08-03-2002, 07:48 PM

Ok...

I checked and the alarm DOES go back into the every-thing-is-fine mode where nothing is going off after 30 seconds of the ignition being used. However like I said I can't stand 30 seconds of beeping!
-Cyrus
Old 08-03-2002, 09:08 PM

Vyrus, the reason why your doors takes a few seconds longer to open from the remote, is because the alarm probably has a "double-pulse" generator which is designed to open all the doors at the same time. All aftermarket alarms installed in Max's should have this, because our cars are made where the driver's door power lock mechanism is designed to open the driver's door first, then the other three. This is true in the fact of turning the key lock on the outside driver's door. Actually, you can bypass the delay of the opening of all four doors by tapping into the circuit board on the driver's side door switch. To me, though, the two second delay is no big deal. I have this on my Viper alarm. Hey, good to see your alarm is up and running!
Old 08-03-2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Vyrus, the reason why your doors takes a few seconds longer to open from the remote, is because the alarm probably has a "double-pulse" generator which is designed to open all the doors at the same time. All aftermarket alarms installed in Max's should have this, because our cars are made where the driver's door power lock mechanism is designed to open the driver's door first, then the other three. This is true in the fact of turning the key lock on the outside driver's door. Actually, you can bypass the delay of the opening of all four doors by tapping into the circuit board on the driver's side door switch. To me, though, the two second delay is no big deal. I have this on my Viper alarm. Hey, good to see your alarm is up and running!
But I don't have an aftermarket alarm? All my pager does is tap into the unlock wire, but because of this there is a delay? Well I guess the pulse is delayed because it is sent to the pager unit too. BTW the driver's door still unlocks first, then the others. But the both take longer than usual, and the trunk too.
-Cyrus
Old 08-03-2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
But I don't have an aftermarket alarm? All my pager does is tap into the unlock wire, but because of this there is a delay? Well I guess the pulse is delayed because it is sent to the pager unit too. BTW the driver's door still unlocks first, then the others. But the both take longer than usual, and the trunk too.
-Cyrus
Oh, my bad. So, you mean, you have a factory alarm with an aftermarket pager installed?
Old 08-03-2002, 09:22 PM

Oh, my bad. So, you mean, you have a factory alarm with an aftermarket pager installed?
Exactly. It's a stand-alone unit.
-Cyrus
Old 08-03-2002, 09:36 PM

Oh, Okay. Well, I'm kinda lost when it comes to wiring and certain functions on a factory alarm system mainly because I'm not sure how the factory system works. But, I'm pretty sure it's somewhat closer to an aftermarket. Sorry, I'm only knowledgable about the aftermarket alarms.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:40 PM

Oh, Okay. Well, I'm kinda lost when it comes to wiring and certain functions on a factory alarm system mainly because I'm not sure how the factory system works. But, I'm pretty sure it's somewhat closer to an aftermarket. Sorry, I'm only knowledgable about the aftermarket alarms.
Oh well thanks anyways.

Can anybody else tell my why now that I tapped into the unlock wire it takes like twice as long to unlock the doors?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Old 08-04-2002, 10:26 AM

Hey Cyrus, just thought of the 'advantage' of having to push 2 buttons.

If someone managed to bypass your factory alarm (I dunno, keyless code scan, spare key, etc), your alarm will de-activate BUT the pager will still work.

If the pager were tied to the factory alarm and deactivated when the stock alarm went off, there'd be no point right?

Hehehe ... Pager 1, Inconvenience 0
Old 08-04-2002, 11:36 AM

my brother had that on his car last year, its a great thing to get when you get an alarm
Old 08-04-2002, 12:53 PM
mb1

I'm glad you like it.

WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE:
I think that they should have a system where the pager turns off when the owner is within so many feet of the vehicle (like the new Benz alarms). After all it is a 2-way system. They should also have it so that it comes with 2 pagers instead of one, so if you misplace one you won’t be too stressed. If I were to buy a new one (pager) now (which I don’t know if I can), I would have to reprogram both pagers, and like I said earlier that is a b*tch. Also they should have made it so that you can program keyless entry into the pager. Would have been a nice touch to carry one less thing around.

If you want all that, you should buy a new paging alarm. One that has the pager as part of the actual alarm.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by mb1
I'm glad you like it.
Yeah thanks it's great, and a steal deal for $35 shipped. I'm thinking about getting a Viper 500 installed but where I live right now I don't need one.

Pocketrocket yeah I guess that is a good feature, plus like I said I can leave the car unlocked by accident and still know if anyone opens anything to steal something. It's not even a big deal anymore I'm so used to it (in just 2 days ).

BTW I tested the range today. I parked in one of the furthest parking spots in my mall, and went to the most distant 2nd story store and stood in the corner. I still had all the bars of signal. As a matter of fact, I have not seen it at anything less than full bars at this point. BTW I was probably .5mile away from my car in the mall.
-Cyrus
Old 08-04-2002, 02:29 PM
mb1

I hate to break this to you, but the signal bars aren't progressive like on cell phones. They don't increase or decrease. It's either on, or off. So it's either in range or it isn't
Old 08-04-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by mb1
I hate to break this to you, but the signal bars aren't progressive like on cell phones. They don't increase or decrease. It's either on, or off. So it's either in range or it isn't
Whoops, thanks for the info mb1. Anyways I was still in range from .5mile through buildings though.
-Cyrus
Old 08-04-2002, 03:14 PM

You lucked out on it ... especially for $35. I think I mgiht get one too now (except I'll have to pay $85)

mb1, why did you get rid of it anyways?
Old 08-04-2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
You lucked out on it ... especially for $35. I think I mgiht get one too now (except I'll have to pay $85)

mb1, why did you get rid of it anyways?
It was on his Civic when he lived in a bad part of town but no more. I did luck out on the deal, but best of all I got an honest seller who ships fast. Thanks again mb1! Even for $85 it's a good deal, and I think you will like it pocketrocket. I mean think of it like this - for $85 (granted you install it yourself), you can have a wireless LCD pager that alerts you if anyone breaks into your car, knowing which part has been violated, and you still have your stock alarm which goes off when they break in!
-Cyrus

BTW who said our rear doors don't have the alarm hooked up to them? I went down 2 seconds ago, rolled down the rear windows, locked the car, waited for the security light to start blinking, then opened the door. BEEP BEEP my horn went of immediatley. So who said our back doors don't have an alarm?
-Cyrus
Old 08-04-2002, 06:53 PM
mb1

It was on his Civic when he lived in a bad part of town but no more. I did luck out on the deal, but best of all I got an honest seller who ships fast. Thanks again mb1! Even for $85 it's a good deal, and I think you will like it pocketrocket. I mean think of it like this - for $85 (granted you install it yourself), you can have a wireless LCD pager that alerts you if anyone breaks into your car, knowing which part has been violated, and you still have your stock alarm which goes off when they break in!
-Cyrus

No where did I mention a civic.

It was an accord.

I liked the pager so much that when I got my maxima I decided to get one of those paging alarms from ebay. Now I know alot of people say they're crap, but I like mine. for $160 I have keyless entry, a basic alarm, and best of all a pager that tells me whats going on. Much better then the Rattler 300 I got from Circuit city for $200.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by mb1

No where did I mention a civic.

It was an accord.

I liked the pager so much that when I got my maxima I decided to get one of those paging alarms from ebay. Now I know alot of people say they're crap, but I like mine. for $160 I have keyless entry, a basic alarm, and best of all a pager that tells me whats going on. Much better then the Rattler 300 I got from Circuit city for $200.
Whoops, sorry. Hondas are all the same except the S2K

So which paging alarm did you buy? The only one I know of is the Crimestopper (no I'm not talking about the one I bought from you, I'm talking about the alarm/pager unit). Is that what you have?
-Cyrus
Old 08-04-2002, 07:20 PM
mb1

Whoops, sorry. Hondas are all the same except the S2K

So which paging alarm did you buy? The only one I know of is the Crimestopper (no I'm not talking about the one I bought from you, I'm talking about the alarm/pager unit). Is that what you have?
-Cyrus
I got my alarm from here:
http://www.asianwolf.com/caralarms.htm

I've had it for almost a year, and it works flawlessly. Exept I can't use remote start cuz I'm 5spd. But thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Very sound, Mike

Who says you can't use remote alarm on a manual transmission equipped car?

Originally posted by mb1

I got my alarm from here:
http://www.asianwolf.com/caralarms.htm

I've had it for almost a year, and it works flawlessly. Exept I can't use remote start cuz I'm 5spd. But thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
Who says you can't use remote alarm on a manual transmission equipped car?

I'm sure he knows he can but like most people it is too risky and expensive to consider.
-Cyrus
Old 08-04-2002, 09:08 PM
mb1

I'm sure he knows he can but like most people it is too risky and expensive to consider.
-Cyrus
This particular alarm isn't designed to be used with manual transmition. I looked into how to modify the car to make it work, but I considered that it is not worth it. I wouldn't even use it that much because I park in the garage in my house, and I doesn't get very cold in GA.