General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Boost appears to be fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 11:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Boost appears to be fixed

I got my new AutoMeter Lunar Series Gauge yesterday, (Indiglo and very pretty) and installed it.

When I first installed it, I got the same readings as the old gauge. 6PSI tops. and only 10Hg of vacuum.

I then went over to Czar's house today and we spent all day troubleshooting my vacuum leak.

We re-did some connections and moved some hoses around, and now I'm hitting 9PSI!!! Woohoo!

The car has much more power. I wish I knew exactly what we did to fix it so I could tell everyone, but I really don't know.

Anyway, to everyone who's been working on me with this, thanks!

I'm going to re-Dyno this weekend, just to make sure it's not all psychological.

...I still can't get it to read over 15Hg of vacuum, however.....Spec is 17-22Hg. We tried 3 different gauges, they all read the same.

But I don't care too much, seeing as it doesn't seem to be affecting boost.

Thanks,
IanS
Old 08-04-2002, 11:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Boost appears to be fixed

Originally posted by iansw
I got my new AutoMeter Lunar Series Gauge yesterday, (Indiglo and very pretty) and installed it.

When I first installed it, I got the same readings as the old gauge. 6PSI tops. and only 10Hg of vacuum.

I then went over to Czar's house today and we spent all day troubleshooting my vacuum leak.

We re-did some connections and moved some hoses around, and now I'm hitting 9PSI!!! Woohoo!

The car has much more power. I wish I knew exactly what we did to fix it so I could tell everyone, but I really don't know.

I'm going to re-Dyno this weekend, just to make sure it's not all psychological.

...I still can't get it to read over 15Hg of vacuum, however.....Spec is 17-22Hg. We tried 3 different gauges, they all read the same.

Thanks,
IanS
good to hear. hope the dyno shows some better numbers for ya
Old 08-04-2002, 11:18 PM

FINALLY!!!! I haven't posted anything about it, but I've read all your threads, and I got frustrated just reading about it. Congrats on finally fixing it!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:36 AM

Re: Boost appears to be fixed

Thanks,
IanS
Congrats!!! I can't wait to get BOOST.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:27 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Connecting different hoses will not increase performance (unless you hooked the VI wrong), rather it will give you a more accurate reading on your boost gauge. I read 8 psi (3.25) on my A'PEXi boost gauge until I took skimax's advice and swapped some hoses around... which read 10 psi afterwards.

It's all psychological my friend.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:27 AM

congrats man. I've been following your thread too. I hope the problem really has been fixed.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:35 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Congrats Ian! You'll have to give me another ride now...
Old 08-05-2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Connecting different hoses will not increase performance (unless you hooked the VI wrong), rather it will give you a more accurate reading on your boost gauge. I read 8 psi (3.25) on my A'PEXi boost gauge until I took skimax's advice and swapped some hoses around... which read 10 psi afterwards.

It's all psychological my friend.
Exactly what i was thinking, Kev. And if only I thought it was faster, then you'd probably be right. But it IS faster. Both Czar and I think so.

We did adjust some other things, such as the BOV, and I removed the check valve from the MEVI system (it wasn't necessary).

Anyway, ebmorgan is going to drive it tonight, and he'll be a good third party, since he drives my car all the time.

Anyway, power gains or not, this tells me nothing is wrong with the SC, which was my biggest fear.

IanS
Old 08-05-2002, 08:48 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Exactly what i was thinking, Kev. And if only I thought it was faster, then you'd probably be right. But it IS faster. Both Czar and I think so.

We did adjust some other things, such as the BOV, and I removed the check valve from the MEVI system (it wasn't necessary).

Anyway, ebmorgan is going to drive it tonight, and he'll be a good third party, since he drives my car all the time.

Anyway, power gains or not, this tells me nothing is wrong with the SC, which was my biggest fear.

IanS
No way to confirm it is faster until you go on the dyno again.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's great news Ian. Hope the Dyno confirms that it's fixed.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:09 AM

Congrats i can't wait to get boost next spring.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

No way to confirm it is faster until you go on the dyno again.
Yes, and I won't be too dissappointed even if it is all psychological.

It still means I don't need to rebuild the SC, which means I can put the money towards a CatBack.....which I am told can give 25-30hp alone with FI.

IanS
Old 08-05-2002, 12:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Did you ever consider that maybe the gasket at the base of your collector went is bad since you never replaced it when you swapped in the VI? Did you torque it to the correct sequence and specs according to the FSM? What about the throttle body gasket? Did you replace that?

Dave
Old 08-05-2002, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Did you ever consider that maybe the gasket at the base of your collector went is bad since you never replaced it when you swapped in the VI? Did you torque it to the correct sequence and specs according to the FSM? What about the throttle body gasket? Did you replace that?

Dave
I replaced both gaskets when I installed it, torqued it to the Chilton's manual specs in order.

I also tried unbolting it, replacing the lower gasket again, and the n re-torquing again.

No difference.

That's the first thing I checked!

IanS