General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To all who know about OBD-2 scantools.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 09:41 PM

To all who know about OBD-2 scantools.

I am searching for a scantool for my 2000 Maxima. I plan to hook it up to a labtop and see what kind of info I get from it besides trouble codes. I am looking for something like the AutoTap I did a search on the org and found some interesting info. In some post someone posted a link to this scantool So I read it and wondered what they meant by this...I will qoute from their site under the WHAT'S NEW heading "Manufactures Trouble Codes (P1XXX series) now on our CD" So does this mean that if I look for a code such as P1336, that it is a OEM specific code, a Nissan code. What is the benefit of (P1XXX) series codes. I am looking for info, any links that shed some light on anything related to OBD-2 scantools or OBD-2. I know some of you have Alex Pepper's software and I have ask some questions about this, but anymore info that you guys feel like sharing please do so. I think that with the info collected on this thread, will help others later on or whenever. Thanks in advance to all.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:24 PM

Re: Re: To all who know about OBD-2 scantools.

Originally posted by Menacer
Well, me & my friend did build our own scan tool just out of curiosity. Max uses ISO 9141 protocol and simple electronics can be made in order to connect RS232 port to OBD-II connector. We were able to read several parameters using this tool but didn't figure out how to read freeze frames data or how to invoke any of manufacture specific function. I used this tool to read trouble codes when my O2 sensor went south. It made talk at my dealership much shorter next day . My friend uses it for his WRX to monitor boost performance and several other parameters, not only OBD-II related. Actually, it was another project involving embedded processor & graphic LCD display. It talks to the car just fine. I'm also interested in some extra info on the subject but it seems tough to get.

Mike.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: To all who know about OBD-2 scantools.

Originally posted by Max_5gen

Well, me & my friend did build our own scan tool just out of curiosity. Max uses ISO 9141 protocol and simple electronics can be made in order to connect RS232 port to OBD-II connector. We were able to read several parameters using this tool but didn't figure out how to read freeze frames data or how to invoke any of manufacture specific function. I used this tool to read trouble codes when my O2 sensor went south. It made talk at my dealership much shorter next day . My friend uses it for his WRX to monitor boost performance and several other parameters, not only OBD-II related. Actually, it was another project involving embedded processor & graphic LCD display. It talks to the car just fine. I'm also interested in some extra info on the subject but it seems tough to get.

Mike.
Thanks for the info. Interesting...but what does ISO 9141 protocal mean? I have read or keep seeing this mentioned.
Old 08-17-2002, 03:55 AM

Here's an idea from left field. Hook up a hidden data logger to the OBDII port, or better yet the Consult datalink port, then bring your car to a Nissan dealer for service. You might even be able to direct the type of data you get by the problem description you guy the service guy.

I've also found info on the ECCS system to be kind of sparse. Try searching the SAE site for papers. Patents on ECCS might also have some clues.

Since I don't have much hands on experience with digital comm, I've approached it from the other end. I'm working on a DAQ system that will watch things like the crank and cam timing triggers, MAF O2 spark and inject pulses. I have access to all the DAQ hardware I need. It's just a matter of making the time to finish the software and hook it all up.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:27 AM

Hi guys, I found a link with many brand of ODBII Scan tools, here is the link: http://www.obdiicsu.com/ScanTools/ScanTools.asp

Cheers

AA
Old 08-18-2002, 07:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: To all who know about OBD-2 scantools.

Originally posted by Menacer
Thanks for the info. Interesting...but what does ISO 9141 protocal mean? I have read or keep seeing this mentioned.
ISO 9141 defines physical level - how many wires are used(only K line in Max), which pins on the connector they should be connected to, what voltage levels are considered "0"/"1"(0/12V), channel speed(10400 in Max) etc. It DOESN'T define logical protocol - what sequence of bits makes data frame, how to exchange data frames with ECU etc. This is defined in SAE 1979 paper which I personally haven't seen yet but it can be bought from SAE itself. Partially this info available from http://www.abcwc.net/accounts/quanta/obdinfo/info.html.

Mike.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:20 PM

I want to thank all of those that have replied to this thread. I will be looking into all of the links you have provided. And thanks for all the information and explanations.