General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Addco fitment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Addco fitment issues?

Okay, I ordered another Addco (had one on the car already when I bought it) for another 96 Max.

I searched and I found out there are some fitment issues about the "[" bolt and such.

Well, my problem is, the [ bolt is way too wide for the metal spacer and the clamps that go around the bushing. I read about fitment issues with the [ bolt being too narrow so it wouldn't even go onto the trailing arms. Well, mine is way too wide. I have so much play vertically when I put it onthe trailing arms. I'd say around 1/4'' of free space. So basically, if I put the [ bolt on the trailing arm, it just dangles.

Anyone else have problems like this? what can I do? It's 3am but I want to finish this install before I go to sleep.

edit: Just read a few more posts through the search. Why the heck is Addco having so many fitment problems? It's not too hard to get it right, especially since many people have complained to them about this already.

I'm gonna use some force to try to get this sucker [ bolt in.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:47 PM

Re: Addco fitment issues?

I also had this issue. What I did was basically hammer the "[" to shape more like a "C" so that the both ends will fit into the bracket.

I know it's frustrating, and I only got one of these (out of 4 brackets), but don't hesitate to use hammer and pliers.

Just be careful not to strip the threads on those "[". That would cause another pain.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Hmm, that's weird. My addico went on fine but u should ask Nismo. He did most of the work and it only took like 30 mins to get it on. Let me know if u still have problems getting it on.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Iilac
Hmm, that's weird. My addico went on fine but u should ask Nismo. He did most of the work and it only took like 30 mins to get it on. Let me know if u still have problems getting it on.
His addco went on somewhat easly except for one of the brackets were too short so I had to hammer it a bit so that the holes would match with the other bracket. Also the arms were a bit bent too much inward so it took an extra hand to help get things bolted down good.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:21 AM

I went out and bought a round file and enlargened the hole. Earlier today I called Addco and asked them for replacements. Guess I don't need them anymore.

The install went perfect after that. But it's still a pain to do the install without lifting the car.

SFCs + RSB = gold
Old 08-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Very sound, Mike

The thing about these brackets is, on the 4th gen they used to get it right all the time. But on the 5th gen the bracket opening needs to be a fraction of an inch bigger.

From my own experience, i got the 4th gen brackets by mistake so i had to call up Addco for replacements.

If i didn't know any better, Addco does have the right brackets for the proper generation, but they're just not packaging it correctly.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:57 AM

yup mike,

That's right. I wonder who takes care of packing. They're making mistakes everywhere, and if it wasn't for their good prices, they'd feel the backlash for errors.

For anyone else that has problems with brackets, about 5 minutes of filing for each bracket will definately do the trick. Mine fit perfectly now, I'm so relieved.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:01 AM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Addco fitment issues?

Originally posted by TurDz
Okay, I ordered another Addco (had one on the car already when I bought it) for another 96 Max.

I searched and I found out there are some fitment issues about the "[" bolt and such.

Well, my problem is, the [ bolt is way too wide for the metal spacer and the clamps that go around the bushing. I read about fitment issues with the [ bolt being too narrow so it wouldn't even go onto the trailing arms. Well, mine is way too wide. I have so much play vertically when I put it onthe trailing arms. I'd say around 1/4'' of free space. So basically, if I put the [ bolt on the trailing arm, it just dangles.

Anyone else have problems like this? what can I do? It's 3am but I want to finish this install before I go to sleep.

edit: Just read a few more posts through the search. Why the heck is Addco having so many fitment problems? It's not too hard to get it right, especially since many people have complained to them about this already.

I'm gonna use some force to try to get this sucker [ bolt in.
i had the same problem. i just dremeled the plate out to have larger openings.