General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How well do wheel locks really work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 01:15 PM

How well do wheel locks really work?

Now that I have 18's, I don't want them getting stolen. I put a set of McGard wheel locks on last Friday, the day I put them rims on, and yesterday I went and got another set of McGard wheel locks and put them on just for piece of mind.
My questions is: How well do these wheel locks really work in preventing theft?. Is it still possible to get the rims off the car with them on? And if so, what would it require and how much time?

Just want to be sure my wheels are safe, I get nervous parking my Max anywhere for more than 10 minutes if I can't see it.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:21 PM

Re: How well do wheel locks really work?

Originally posted by araffio
Now that I have 18's, I don't want them getting stolen. I put a set of McGard wheel locks on last Friday, the day I put them rims on, and yesterday I went and got another set of McGard wheel locks and put them on just for piece of mind.
My questions is: How well do these wheel locks really work in preventing theft?. Is it still possible to get the rims off the car with them on? And if so, what would it require and how much time?

Just want to be sure my wheels are safe, I get nervous parking my Max anywhere for more than 10 minutes if I can't see it.
believe me, they can be stolen. where theres a will theres a way...
Old 09-04-2002, 01:37 PM

hide your locks within your car really well.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:57 PM

professionals will just tow your car.

and once they have your car at a garage they can easily remove your wheels.. and anything else of value.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by bacid
professionals will just tow your car.

and once they have your car at a garage they can easily remove your wheels.. and anything else of value.
I'm talking more about just the wheels. I don't want to come out one day and find my car on cinderblocks.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:02 PM

Re: How well do wheel locks really work?

Originally posted by araffio

The bad news is that they don't work. But since they're not expensive put them on if you like. The Club doesn't work, but I put it on. Kinda like the greater fool theory. My friend's car was stolen and when it was recovered the club was there on the passenger seat, in the fully locked position and undamaged.

The good news is 18's are old news. I felt the way you did when I first got mine, and was actually uneasy about parking it on Pattison Ave. at night. The 18's are for enjoyment, so if you can't leave your car alone for 10 minutes you'd be better off putting the tall a***** stockers back on! Relax, the 18's are no biggie. Just enjoy them!
Old 09-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: How well do wheel locks really work?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

The bad news is that they don't work. But since they're not expensive put them on if you like. The Club doesn't work, but I put it on. Kinda like the greater fool theory. My friend's car was stolen and when it was recovered the club was there on the passenger seat, in the fully locked position and undamaged.

The good news is 18's are old news. I felt the way you did when I first got mine, and was actually uneasy about parking it on Pattison Ave. at night. The 18's are for enjoyment, so if you can't leave your car alone for 10 minutes you'd be better off putting the tall a***** stockers back on! Relax, the 18's are no biggie. Just enjoy them!

Frank's right, but if you are going to worry about them that much, make sure they're insured, you may have to change your car insurance company since not all will cover additions and all that good stuff, but just find one that will, and pay the extra cash, then if they get stolen it's not such a big deal.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:13 PM

A few possibilites that I know of:

1) If they know the manufacturer of the wheel locks the thieves can use a universal key on them. This is what the Nissan service department uses on my car when I bring it in.

2) They can hammer a socket onto the lug and remove it that way. This usually destroys the socket though so they'd need a new one for each wheel.

3) Apparently that Sears craftman socket with all the spring loaded pins in it ("conforms to any sized nut, never hunt for the correct socket again, etc...) can be used on wheel locks with some success.

Overall though you're better with them then without. They won't stop a determined thief but they should stop the kid down the street from thinking, cool rims, I think I'll "borrow" them....
Old 09-04-2002, 02:14 PM
syc

I guess they only need 15 minutes max with 4 people to steel all wheels if you only got 1 lock for each wheel. This is, of course, if you park the car in some dark street or something so that they could do it fast.
My friend lost his "socket" for the lock and couldn't get the wheel out. So he went to autozone and the guy work there recommanded some tool. but we spend 30 minutes and gave up. Then we went to a shop and ask if it's possible. the guy said "sure, piece of cake". just took him (yes, just one person) 1.5 minute to take the lock out and another 1 minute to take the wheel out. I was there and I was like Darn! tools? small saw and a wierd wrench.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:34 PM

hmmm that could have saved me from using an impact wrench on my locks. I scuffed up part of my rims that way.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:12 PM

I don't want to come out one day and find my car on cinderblocks
Theives arent nice enuff to leave ur car on cinderblocks! They will just leave ur axles on the ground
Old 09-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's cheap, their a deterant...why not.
I agree, where there is a will there is a way.
PS: Don't loose the key !