General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 02:36 PM

Loose steering

Removed the Eibachs now it doesn't feel right. I really don't remember what stock feels like, but I sure hope its not like this from the factory! Is there play in the steering or should it be tight? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Loose steering

Originally posted by ADAM2KMAX
Removed the Eibachs now it doesn't feel right. I really don't remember what stock feels like, but I sure hope its not like this from the factory! Is there play in the steering or should it be tight? Thanks.
Try some Energy Suspension polyurethane end-link bushings on your front sway bar. They don't make an application for the Maxima, you have to get the universal ones. Search for a part number.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: Re: Loose steering

Originally posted by Yossarian

Try some Energy Suspension polyurethane end-link bushings on your front sway bar. They don't make an application for the Maxima, you have to get the universal ones. Search for a part number.
does it make steering stiffer??
Old 09-11-2002, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Loose steering

Originally posted by costcowholesale

does it make steering stiffer??
It did for me. But I put in both end-link bushings and mid-bar bushings. I think it's the end-links that did the stiffening though, the old ones were disfigured and compressed real bad.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:02 PM

Re: Loose steering

Originally posted by ADAM2KMAX
Stock feels terrible. Drive your g/f's Jetta, or rent an Olds Alero or Pontiac Sunfire or Grand Am and you wont believe how crisp and tight the steering can be when compared to the Maxima. It's the Nissan way because the 2k2 Altima 3.5 stick is exactly the same bad road feel experience. That's what Nissan engineers want I guess. Very important to make sure 350Z doesn't have it, or fuggetiboudit.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Loose steering

Originally posted by Yossarian

It did for me. But I put in both end-link bushings and mid-bar bushings. I think it's the end-links that did the stiffening though, the old ones were disfigured and compressed real bad.
how $ did that setup cost?
Old 09-11-2002, 07:05 PM

Re: Re: Loose steering

The Jetta is awesome. Crisp and tight as can be. Wish the Max was like that. Bushings are the best at this point. Need to keep it somewhat stock, leased. Thanks for input.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Loose steering

Originally posted by costcowholesale

how $ did that setup cost?
Check Suspension.com. For the Maxima you'll find FSB bushings and lower control arm bushings. End-links, you'll need to get a universal application. Search the .org for the exact part number on that one.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:01 AM

Check your alignment. Toe out loose feel on center but better in curves, and the reverse...toe in tighter on center plow feeling in curves. As you can see to much of either is bad.