General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

maxin' gone wild after heavy rain, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:08 AM

maxin' gone wild after heavy rain, HELP!!

I was driving my car last night during a heavy rain, and had to do down a road with bad drainage, the water must've been halfway or higher up my rims. A little further down the street the car started violently bucking and stuttering, it would stop for a little bit when foot to the floor. Then it stalled a couple times. someone suggested it may have sucked water in. Any help, advice, or suggestions are much appreciated. Oh yeah, it's a 90
Thanks
Old 09-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Got Bent?

you probably got water up in the exhaust...
Old 09-12-2002, 01:22 PM

Here, we don't have much rain...

..but where I come from originally, it's a lot of f** rain.

Your situation is almost a day-to-day basis back when I was in Jakarta (Indonesia). Flooding is usually a "basic" experience for anybody who have driven on the flooded streets of Jakarta.

Having said that, this is what you might want to do. Put the car with its front tires higher than the rears. Leave the car like this for 4-5 hours (to allow all water to drain). You don't need to get it very high, something like a brick or two is good (helpful if you have wheel ramps)...or curbs.....anything to make the front sits higher.

After 5 hours, inspect the air filter element and see if there is stuff got suck into the filter. Clean these stuff out. Next, start the car. Usually it will sputter a little bit (at this time, the car still sits with its front higher) for 1-2 minutes.

After about 3 minutes warm up time, press the gas pedal up to 2000 rpm and hold it steady for several seconds. You might see water coming out from the exhaust. Next, up the rev to 3000 and hold it steady right there. Let go the throttle pedal to idling after this.

By the time you are done with this, you should see a lot of water coming out from the exhaust, and your engine should idle fine.

However, if it does not idle normally, and you will have other issues than water coming into your exhaust/intake. You might want to check all electrical sensors and everything.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:50 PM

does anyone have this problem? when it's raining really really hard, i feel like my car is slipping everytime i go above 60 so i have to slow down. anyone else experience this??
Old 09-12-2002, 02:03 PM

your telling me you floored it in a flood area, with water half way up the rim?

YOu know theres a lower air inlet on the maxima right?
Old 09-12-2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by xsp00kyx
does anyone have this problem? when it's raining really really hard, i feel like my car is slipping everytime i go above 60 so i have to slow down. anyone else experience this??
You need new tires.

Maxinmaxima,
Follow Ardika's suggestions. Also, if you drove through water above the center of your rims, you ought to re-pack the wheel bearings with grease. Transmission and engine oil are probably not contaminated, but check the dip stick anyway.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by sinewave

You need new tires.

Maxinmaxima,
Follow Ardika's suggestions. Also, if you drove through water above the center of your rims, you ought to re-pack the wheel bearings with grease. Transmission and engine oil are probably not contaminated, but check the dip stick anyway.
i have good treads though
Old 09-13-2002, 10:12 AM

gtr_rider, i never said i floored it, i had to go through the puddle either way the whole road was flooded, tight car by the way. Thanks for the advice guys, it's almost better now just from lighting it up on the highway, i'm going to try the elevating the front end thing to get the last bit of water out. Thanks again for all the advice
Old 09-13-2002, 03:45 PM

Don't ignore those wheel bearings or they will come back to haunt you in 6 months. I know, I live in a town that gets 75+ inches of rain a year.