General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Whats your favorite intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Morpheus
Is there a downfall to Injen CAI?
Price and it draws hot air from the radiator. It's a very elegant solution though. If it was $40, I'd have one
Old 09-16-2002, 03:26 PM

Which do u think is better Place racing or injen? I dont really car about drilling, I like how injen is chrome, but it has red all over it. I also dont like where injen goes, makes the engine just as crowded as stock intake. The Place racing goes to the side, and can be bought in blue which is the color my engine is going to. Im leaning toward the place racing unless the injen is alot better in a certain way.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BBaker025
Which do u think is better Place racing or injen? I dont really car about drilling, I like how injen is chrome, but it has red all over it. I also dont like where injen goes, makes the engine just as crowded as stock intake. The Place racing goes to the side, and can be bought in blue which is the color my engine is going to. Im leaning toward the place racing unless the injen is alot better in a certain way.
You can get the Injen in blue.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:49 PM

i have never experienced injen, but i love place racing. good, deep sound (especially at WOT) good gains, and cost about the same as injen. a lot of people complain about the drilling, but its not that bad and plus u are getting cold air, not that radiator BS
Old 09-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Handsome

Place Racing all the way

I would have to chose place racing. It is a very advanced cool air intake because of it's design. Most cold air intakes like AEM use a long tube with various bends to get the intake out of the way of heat, usually as far under the engine as possible. This is good for dense air, but the long tube and bends are draw backs.

The Injen air intake uses a shorter tube but puts the intake half way down in the engine bay between the radiator and engine. Although probably not as hot as a pop charger would be, this placement of the intake still keeps a lot of the incoming air hot.

Pop chargers are good because their is no restrictive tubing, but being at the top of the engine, and knowing that heat rises, we can assume that this would not be the most efficient.

The place racing CAI is a very efficient design. The tubing extends from the throttle body to the wheel well, this is not as long a path as most CAI. It uses a foam filter (which is a topic that can be debated in another post, but it has been shown to flow better than the K&N alternative, according to the manufature.) But the real beauty of the place racing CAI is that it places the intake OUTSIDE the engine bay, in the wheel well. The intake is protected from dirt and road grime from the stock plastic liner that lines the wheel well. This is the most efficent design of any intake that I have seen, short tubing, good filter element, and the air drawn in is from outside the engine bay.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:39 AM

Re: Place Racing all the way

Originally posted by Street Reeper

I would have to chose place racing. It is a very advanced cool air intake because of it's design. Most cold air intakes like AEM use a long tube with various bends to get the intake out of the way of heat, usually as far under the engine as possible. This is good for dense air, but the long tube and bends are draw backs.

The Injen air intake uses a shorter tube but puts the intake half way down in the engine bay between the radiator and engine. Although probably not as hot as a pop charger would be, this placement of the intake still keeps a lot of the incoming air hot.

Pop chargers are good because their is no restrictive tubing, but being at the top of the engine, and knowing that heat rises, we can assume that this would not be the most efficient.

The place racing CAI is a very efficient design. The tubing extends from the throttle body to the wheel well, this is not as long a path as most CAI. It uses a foam filter (which is a topic that can be debated in another post, but it has been shown to flow better than the K&N alternative, according to the manufature.) But the real beauty of the place racing CAI is that it places the intake OUTSIDE the engine bay, in the wheel well. The intake is protected from dirt and road grime from the stock plastic liner that lines the wheel well. This is the most efficent design of any intake that I have seen, short tubing, good filter element, and the air drawn in is from outside the engine bay.
Is heat present in the wheel wells; do the tires radiate?
Old 09-18-2002, 09:42 AM
Handsome

Re: Re: Place Racing all the way

Originally posted by T-bone

Is heat present in the wheel wells; do the tires radiate?

Above the tire is a plastic liner that protects the intake from road grime. This would prevent some of the heat from entering but would undoubtedly be much cooler than the engine bay.