General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Off topic: car dies, sometimes won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 06:47 AM

Off topic: car dies, sometimes won't start

Sorry this is way off topic, esp since it isn't for a maxima but I didn't know where else to go...
My friend has a 2000 Malibu (first problem, it's a Chevy...j/k)
She does a lot of highway driving to work and has had the car stall on her while driving about 65 mph. She really can't drive faster than that or she feels the car shake a lot and hesitate. After the call dies out, sometimes it starts back up again but sometimes it won't again. She's taken it to a dealer several times and they replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump but it still persists to happen. I asked her if they pulled any codes but she said she had no idea. They can't figure out whats the matter. The car has about 61k miles. She has put about $1400 in to the car to try and figure the problem but has had no resolution.
She asked me and I thought it may be the spark plus and/or the catalitic convertor. Maybe they are producing too much carbon and clogging the convertor.
I figured since this site has been great to me, having so many knowledgable people with thier maxima's and solving mine, that this problem may be generic enough to be solved.
Any help at all would be appreciated. Any possible solutions will be taken in account.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 09-13-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Off topic: car dies, sometimes won't start

Originally posted by tke148
Sorry this is way off topic, esp since it isn't for a maxima but I didn't know where else to go...
My friend has a 2000 Malibu (first problem, it's a Chevy...j/k)
She does a lot of highway driving to work and has had the car stall on her while driving about 65 mph. She really can't drive faster than that or she feels the car shake a lot and hesitate. After the call dies out, sometimes it starts back up again but sometimes it won't again. She's taken it to a dealer several times and they replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump but it still persists to happen. I asked her if they pulled any codes but she said she had no idea. They can't figure out whats the matter. The car has about 61k miles. She has put about $1400 in to the car to try and figure the problem but has had no resolution.
She asked me and I thought it may be the spark plus and/or the catalitic convertor. Maybe they are producing too much carbon and clogging the convertor.
I figured since this site has been great to me, having so many knowledgable people with thier maxima's and solving mine, that this problem may be generic enough to be solved.
Any help at all would be appreciated. Any possible solutions will be taken in account.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

I had a similar experience with my old truck. I thought it was the cat, but the mechanic said it needed a new fuel pump. However, since that variable has been taken care of here, my guess would be that the car needs new spark plugs. Hopefully this IS the case as it's easy and not too expensive to fix.

Old 09-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If the dealership couldn't figure this out she needs to get her money back immediately.

Try the sparkplugs, as suggested, but the problem may be electrical.