General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installed PR CAI...problems, oh so many problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 03:50 PM

Installed PR CAI...problems, oh so many problems

Long story
So i get my PR intake in the mail the next day around 7pm we rush out to my buddies shop and start ripping apart the stock intake. Get it all off and then i look at my maf and say "oh ****" We don't have a Maf adapter. For some reason i thought it would come with the intake and i spaced it out!! doh!
So we scrounge for scrap pieces of metal and finally find them and start making a custom adapter and gasket. We get that all done whew!
Then we drill the hole with a 3.5 inch hole saw. First hole was a pain in the *** the second overlapping hole we could not get the hole saw to grip it would just fly around. So we use a Industrial sized Dremel with a cutting blade and cut most of it out then went back with the grinder and grinded it all down. walla we're done woohoo
WRONG
the lower Pipe for the CAI would not fit on. We could attach it all but then the filter couldn't go on the tube was hitting the inner part of the fender. So we pull it up and put the filter on then try to re attach it. Wouldn't NOT reattach. The battery, the fuse box are kind of in the way and we couldn't adjust the upper pipe to attach without having a huge bend in the rubber that would cause a bad seal. So finally at 1:30pm we say screw it and i put the filter on the End of the Maf adapter and go home.

Now it sounds really cool BUT i have tremendous low end power loss. I don't know what it going on. When i try to launch it just bogs badly unless i spin the tires off. On the freeway it struggles in 5th gear, it doesn't gain speed like it should and it just drops off fast if i let off the gas at all. The throttle feels tight. Leaving places i'll take off slowly and it just dogs until around 3k rpms then it takes off like a badass. But i don't know is it just the increase in the top end that it "feels" like the low end suffers?
i'm kinda regretting it and thinking about putting on the stock intake. It seemed to run faster off the line adn better. I always hear people talking about lowend loss but isn't it supposed to be not as bad with a Hybrid setup? cause this feels terrible.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds like you have a bad vacuum leak somewhere, this is why i like hybribs. 30 minute install.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did you use the template to cut your hole?

I did not need an adapter. I did use the supplied templaye and hole was right where it was supposed to be. Sound like you guys may have missed something in the install.

The hardest part was cutting the hole. Fitment can arise if the tube is not twisted properly.

If you have any questions post or email me!

Dave in York
Old 09-15-2002, 01:25 PM

I've gone over all the hoses around the intake and they are all on and sealed. There is a slight humming coming from the intake but i suspect that it's normal cause it's coming from the filter. And i hear no leaks. I'm pretty sure i've found WHY the lower pipe won't go on and i'm heading out to his shop ina couple hours to try round 2 and see what happens. I'll go over all the tubes once again and make sure. Unless teh custom gasket or adapter is leaking but i don't hear or feel any leak.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:52 PM

I just dont like pr anymore..the seals they now have got cheaper and they use cheaper filters