General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Finally decided on buying new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finally decided on buying new wheels

At first, I planned to hold off buying new wheels because I want to do a 5spd swap. I let a good deal on a 5spd swap kit passed by me. Doh! After carefully thinking about it, even if I could get it, I won't have time to do the swap because I'm in school. So, I'm going to hold off the 5spd swap until next summer or fall.

I really like the Volk LE37T's, but that's just way out of my budget. After looking back and forth, I always come back to these three wheels: SSR GT1's, SSR Competition's, and OZ Superleggera's.

SSR Competition's: I wanted these, but they're the most expensive out of the three. They look like a cheaper version of the LE37T's. Still, they weren't cheap enough. So I had to pass on them. Also, I didn't really like the center cap on them. I think they would look better if the center cap is anthracite too.

OZ Superleggera's: I like these as well. They're the cheapest out of the three. What I don't like are the multi spokes on this wheel. I had 18" ADR Racing Phase II wheels before. They had a whole bunch of spokes and when it was time to clean them, yikes! So I didn't want to go through that again. Also, since I had multi spoked wheels before, why would I want to get something similar right? If only there were less spokes, I think they would look really good on my black Maxima.

SSR GT1's: I decided to get the GT1's. The price is right in the middle of the three. When it's time to clean them, it will be easy. They look pretty darn good too.

The GT1's will be 18x8 paired with 235/40/18 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. The tires aren't the best, but they'll have to do. If I get the more expensive tires, it would be over my budget. That's why I chose the Kumho's. Weight isn't that bad. With that combo, it will be around 45.2 lbs. The GT1's suppose to weigh around 19 lbs. and the 235/40/18 Kumho's suppose to weigh around 26.2 lbs. I didn't want to get the Bridgestone's even if I could afford them. They are the heaviest tires out there.

When I do go to the track, I won't be racing with these. I probably going to slap some drag radials on my stock 15" wheels later on.

I should get the new wheels and tires next week. So be ready for some pics.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:31 AM

Nice. Are you the first one to have them on a 4th Gen?
-Cyrus
Old 09-22-2002, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Nice. Are you the first one to have them on a 4th Gen?
-Cyrus

I doubt it. I know some guy named Butternutz or something like that have them on his 4th gen. So far he's the only one that I know of that have the GT1's on a 4th gen.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Re: Finally decided on buying new wheels

Originally posted by Cumalot
At first, I planned to hold off buying new wheels because I want to do a 5spd swap. I let a good deal on a 5spd swap kit passed by me. Doh! After carefully thinking about it, even if I could get it, I won't have time to do the swap because I'm in school. So, I'm going to hold off the 5spd swap until next summer or fall.

I really like the Volk LE37T's, but that's just way out of my budget. After looking back and forth, I always come back to these three wheels: SSR GT1's, SSR Competition's, and OZ Superleggera's.

SSR Competition's: I wanted these, but they're the most expensive out of the three. They look like a cheaper version of the LE37T's. Still, they weren't cheap enough. So I had to pass on them. Also, I didn't really like the center cap on them. I think they would look better if the center cap is anthracite too.

OZ Superleggera's: I like these as well. They're the cheapest out of the three. What I don't like are the multi spokes on this wheel. I had 18" ADR Racing Phase II wheels before. They had a whole bunch of spokes and when it was time to clean them, yikes! So I didn't want to go through that again. Also, since I had multi spoked wheels before, why would I want to get something similar right? If only there were less spokes, I think they would look really good on my black Maxima.

SSR GT1's: I decided to get the GT1's. The price is right in the middle of the three. When it's time to clean them, it will be easy. They look pretty darn good too.

The GT1's will be 18x8 paired with 235/40/18 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. The tires aren't the best, but they'll have to do. If I get the more expensive tires, it would be over my budget. That's why I chose the Kumho's. Weight isn't that bad. With that combo, it will be around 45.2 lbs. The GT1's suppose to weigh around 19 lbs. and the 235/40/18 Kumho's suppose to weigh around 26.2 lbs. I didn't want to get the Bridgestone's even if I could afford them. They are the heaviest tires out there.

When I do go to the track, I won't be racing with these. I probably going to slap some drag radials on my stock 15" wheels later on.

I should get the new wheels and tires next week. So be ready for some pics.
Sounds alot like my thought process a couple of weeks ago although I had a different outcome. Out of curiousity, how long were you pondering this wheel thing? I went through 3 months of agony, thinking, rationalising and researching wheels. Actually, at one point I was on my way to order the volks and I caught myself at the door of the volks dealer and didn't go through with it (would've been divorced now had I gone through with it). Funny how the mind finds a way to "rationalise" these things to one's self.

Anyway, good choice of wheels (they were my second choice) and they're one of the better looking ones out there.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: Finally decided on buying new wheels

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

Sounds alot like my thought process a couple of weeks ago although I had a different outcome. Out of curiousity, how long were you pondering this wheel thing? I went through 3 months of agony, thinking, rationalising and researching wheels. Actually, at one point I was on my way to order the volks and I caught myself at the door of the volks dealer and didn't go through with it (would've been divorced now had I gone through with it). Funny how the mind finds a way to "rationalise" these things to one's self.

Anyway, good choice of wheels (they were my second choice) and they're one of the better looking ones out there.

I thought about this for a long time. At least 6 months. I'm glad that I took this long to decide.

Yeah, it was either the GT1's or Superleggera's for me. The Superleggera's look very good on your car.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:51 AM

Re: Finally decided on buying new wheels

...I decided to get the GT1's...
Nice choice! Can't wait to see them on your car.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:26 AM

There is also another Black '99 5spd w/ 18" SSR GT1s, but I can remember his .Org handle. They're very nice looking wheels and you don't see too many cars with them.

Good choice. Can't wait to see some pics!

Later,
-Nick
Old 09-22-2002, 11:48 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

With careful planning, thte 5spd swap can be done in 1 day, or even a weekend...
Old 09-22-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760
With careful planning, thte 5spd swap can be done in 1 day, or even a weekend...

Not for me. School is keeping me pretty busy about everyday, even weekends. I'm almost done with school, so the workload is even more for me. Oh well, I'll be done with school next year. So I can wait.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:49 PM

GT1s..mmm. I have a 5th gen, and not a 4th gen, but here's a pic.

Here's the black 4th gen (I dunno his handle on here either)that has GT1s too.

Old 09-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
[B]GT1s..mmm. I have a 5th gen, and not a 4th gen, but here's a pic.

eh bredda!

see ya in dec. nice rims

gt1s get my vote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nismo2020
[B]
Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
GT1s..mmm. I have a 5th gen, and not a 4th gen, but here's a pic.

eh bredda!

see ya in dec. nice rims

gt1s get my vote
Ho bruddah, how you stay? see you den. No get so many tickets eh. lol Aloha
Old 09-22-2002, 04:39 PM

I know some guy named Butternutz
Old 09-22-2002, 04:57 PM
Got Bent?

good choice...

I really like the GT1's .....
Old 09-22-2002, 05:10 PM

GT1s are nice are you going to get them from that website I told you of? thats where you wont pay the tax charges since there is a warehouse in Shreveport. Other then that you wont be paying tax.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:37 PM

Theres a kid I saw a lot during summer at the pike who had the gt1's..they look nice but I think different ss'r are nicer
Old 09-23-2002, 12:44 PM

Just got word my cc(school loan actually, it does wonders) got approved. So they should get to me probaby within this week.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think the black 4th gen is st8ridin...