General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Fog Light Tickets?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 07:51 PM

Fog Light Tickets?!!!

Man what is all this BS about? I got stopped tonight for the second time by the same cop for my fog lights being on. I only got a warning, not a ticket, but still, this seems a little stupid to me. 2 55 watt bulbs aimed down at the road for the most part is illegal to use when approaching another vehicle, WTF???!! Seems like a harrassment stop to me, I must have passed every other cop on the force, a couple high pos, and even a few sheriffs deputies with this things on and they don't even look at them. This guy stops me twice. I hate the way cops treat you for having a fast looking car.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:54 PM

Re: Fog Light Tickets?!!!

Originally posted by tornado019
Man what is all this BS about? I got stopped tonight for the second time by the same cop for my fog lights being on. I only got a warning, not a ticket, but still, this seems a little stupid to me. 2 55 watt bulbs aimed down at the road for the most part is illegal to use when approaching another vehicle, WTF???!! Seems like a harrassment stop to me, I must have passed every other cop on the force, a couple high pos, and even a few sheriffs deputies with this things on and they don't even look at them. This guy stops me twice. I hate the way cops treat you for having a fast looking car.
That cop is full of $hit.....there are MANY MANY cars out there that come with foglights STOCK (including the maxima se)...and they are NOT considered high beams....he's just being an ***
Old 09-23-2002, 08:20 PM

my fogs are always on, i'm lucky GA has slack laws on stuff like this
Kinch
Old 09-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: Fog Light Tickets?!!!

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

That cop is full of $hit.....there are MANY MANY cars out there that come with foglights STOCK (including the maxima se)...and they are NOT considered high beams....he's just being an ***
What the hell? that can't possibly be a law, man he should stop smoking the crack from the evidence room! What an Idiot! I would report him to his superiors. Fog light laws? ****?

Old 09-23-2002, 08:52 PM

I got stopped for my rewired fogs on W/O the headlights on....when they stopped me I knew what it was for, so I swicthed the lights (turned off the fogs and put on the headlights)....and I didnt say a word...Both cops walked up to my car took my license & reg, walked to the front of the car ...scratched their heads then came back and asked if I had a short....I said NO....then they said "we stopped you cuz your headlights 'looked' liked they were out....made me turn them off and on a few times....then said I should get them checked anyway....and let me go.....

Old 09-23-2002, 08:53 PM

that is complete bs. call the station and file a complaint. against the law my *ss. a large percentage of cars come completely stock with fog lights. my SE came with them stock
Old 09-23-2002, 09:06 PM

uh guys.....I think he means he got stopped for having the fog lights ON...not for actually having the lights. This is illegal, (in NYS) as it blinds oncoming traffic (if installed and aimed correctly) when not used in a fog.... Thats why it comes stock with an on/off swtich.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:10 AM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by MAXIN
(if installed and aimed correctly) when not used in a fog.... Thats why it comes stock with an on/off swtich.
But you could say you drove through some fog and forgot to turn them off? I guess That's still stupid cause my fogs ar always on....

Old 09-24-2002, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by MAXIN
I got stopped for my rewired fogs on W/O the headlights on....when they stopped me I knew what it was for, so I swicthed the lights (turned off the fogs and put on the headlights)....and I didnt say a word...Both cops walked up to my car took my license & reg, walked to the front of the car ...scratched their heads then came back and asked if I had a short....I said NO....then they said "we stopped you cuz your headlights 'looked' liked they were out....made me turn them off and on a few times....then said I should get them checked anyway....and let me go.....

Good thinking! I did the same exact thing, except I had my LED windshield washer nozzles on and the cop seen them on and he started following me. I knew I was in trouble then, so I switched them off. He followed me for a couple of miles or so until I pulled into a gas station. He then asked me if I had lights on my hood. Of course, I said "no". He shined his little flashlight on them and said it was probably the glare coming off of them that made them look like they were lights (the nozzles were chrome in color). He was stumped, and went on his merry way. Sorry, if this may have been off topic, but I thought this was funny when I read this response of "faking out the cop".
Old 09-24-2002, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know that you cannot have your fog lights on in Long Island, NY while driving. Unless it is raining hard or foggy. Just for that I am going to get HIDs and stick them into my fogs.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:17 AM

Rest assured he was stopping you just to check you out, and maybe to let you know they are watching you. I bought an older Suburban with dark tinted windows and custom wheels (it looked somewhat thugged out) and I got stopped several times. Each time the cop gave me a bogus reason for stopping me. I'm sure they were just wondering what was going on inside the 'burban.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:32 AM

Maximas = fast looking car?

Fogs lights = lights to be used when there is fog.

Like MAXIN and SonicDust said, it is illegal in some places to have your foglights on when there is no fog. (ie. New York City) Don't simply dismiss the ticket as bogus just because some people on this board say so. Check with local law enforcement and ask what the particulars are about having fog lights on when there is no fog.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:48 AM

I think maybe it is actually illegal here in oklahoma to have them on. He said they are just like high beams, you can use them on the highway, but must turn them off when approaching another car. I just think its kinda dumb, cause I mean, how can fog lights really hurt? Maybe if I had 1000 watt bulbs aimed up at the other cars, but these are stock lights. I say this was a good reason to stop me, cause none of the other cops have done it yet. This guy is new on the night force, I have only seem him since just recently. They know I screw around sometimes but have yet to catch me so they are messing with me.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:00 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i usually drive with my fogs on, if my headlights are on at the same time...

There are so many cars that do this....

i never had a problem in 3 years of doing so, as all of my cars were fog light equipped and i never bothered turning my fogs off...

But if this happens, i guess you can't fight it and just have to pay the fine... you have nothing to argue in court.. cops word against yours, unless you can prove it was indeed foggy outside....
Old 09-24-2002, 11:26 AM

well basically you didn't get a ticket. so if you are being harrased turn the fogs of big deal save your self the time and head ache. there are laws in the book that are just plain retarded and they are put there to give an officer a reason to pull you over. "quote from the campus cop in high school."

i got pulled over ounce for having a little chinease luck charm hanging on the rear view. there was no way the officer could have seen it. it was so small but that was the reason he pulled me over. while he was talking to me he was shinning his flash light all around my car trying to see if i had anything illegal in there. then when i asked what i got pulled over for. he was like oh blah blah blah something hanging on the rear view. hich i think is the most retarded law but there is a code in the BOOK for that. i think it was obstruction of view.

now i have nothing there. it is hanging some where else in the car.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I make fun of people who have fog lights but don't turn them on with their head lights. I also make fun of the idiots with mismatched directional wheels which you see on Preludes and other Hondas all the time.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:14 PM

We've gone though this before. In most states turning on fog lights when there's no fog is illegal. And there are reasons. One is that many fog lights have the same affect as high beams, which could blind the another driver and cause an accident. Now I heard the argument before that yours are aimed too low to bother other drivers, so why are they picking on me, etc. But the cop doesn't know that; he has no alignment equipment in his trunk; he only sees that they're on with no fog, so that's a violation. Yes, you may go years without being pulled over, but that's no different than other violations that are often overlooked, like no front plates or illegal tint.

Furthermore, let's be honest. The only reason you drive with them on all the time is because you think it looks cool. Well, besides risking being pulled over, that attitude may be a bit adolescent in terms of a driving habit that can be selfish and inconsiderate of others.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:18 PM

Anyone here have HIDs in their Fogs? How is the beam pattern on the 98 model? Will it be all over the place like HIDs in our headlights?
Old 09-25-2002, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Magellan
We've gone though this before. In most states turning on fog lights when there's no fog is illegal. And there are reasons. One is that many fog lights have the same affect as high beams, which could blind the another driver and cause an accident. Now I heard the argument before that yours are aimed too low to bother other drivers, so why are they picking on me, etc. But the cop doesn't know that; he has no alignment equipment in his trunk; he only sees that they're on with no fog, so that's a violation. Yes, you may go years without being pulled over, but that's no different than other violations that are often overlooked, like no front plates or illegal tint.

Furthermore, let's be honest. The only reason you drive with them on all the time is because you think it looks cool. Well, besides risking being pulled over, that attitude may be a bit adolescent in terms of a driving habit that can be selfish and inconsiderate of others.
I'm going to disagree with you on the inconsiderate and adolescent comments. First of all, it is very unlikely that fog lights which are properly aimed and use correct wattage bulbs would blind another driver, particularly on a Max where the lights are so low to the ground. I would doubt the DOT would have approved the design or use of them in the first place if it was, and manufacturers wouldn't want to take that risk for something that is primarily cosmetic (in a lot of the country anyway). Secondly, I would point out that I am constantly blinded by the low beam headlights of the ubiquitious and massive SUVs (such as the Expedition and Excursion) which are aimed directly at my eyes. I have even been blinded by some older daytime running lights on similar vehicles. No accidents yet.

So if we're being honest, sure I think it looks cool to have your fog lights on which is why mine are always on with my headlights. If there are laws against this, that's fine, I'll risk it as I don't see a significant driving risk. Laws, though good intentioned (in theory), are frequently ridiculous in practice. This is one that I feel is a bit on the ridiculous side. If you don't, that's fine too. That's the beauty of this society.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:53 AM
Boost.....

15.56 @ 88.87......yup..your car only LOOKS fast.

Im just kiddin with ya.....
Old 09-25-2002, 09:55 AM
Boost.....

Maggie has done found him a thread to join in.

"Lets be honest".....some people use them as daytime driving lights.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:05 AM

When using my fog lights (before I decided to try to change them, and have the rusty nissan bolt "crumble" apart, leaving them useless for the time being), I found that they were aimed VERY low to the ground. So low in fact, that when I turn them on, all I can see, is a better view of the ground. How ANYONE could be blinded by a maxima fog light, is beyond me. I really can't see it ever happening, unless you deliberately point them up to eye level to use as flashers for morons (I've seen it done at street races heh.)

Did he mention that it was illegal to have FOUR 55 watt bulbs, or specifically, TWO FOG 55 watt bulbs?

Because if all he said was "two 55 watt bulbs are illegal," right then and there I would have been on the guys case because nearly every car manufacturer in the world is selling at least one model car with 55 watt bulbs. Not only that, but selling cars with illegal modifications such as "fog lights" seems a bit daft to me. Check your local laws, there may be some goofy one sitting around somewhere that says you can't have them on unless theres rain or fog.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

15.56 @ 88.87......yup..your car only LOOKS fast.

Im just kiddin with ya.....
Don't worry, thats changing soon, nitrous kit is on its way.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Boost.....

Re: Re: Re: Fog Light Tickets?!!!

Don't worry, thats changing soon, nitrous kit is on its way.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:20 AM

Fog lights and Driving lights are different (in my book)

I was always under the impression that a true 'Fog light' was Amber in color, to help 'cut-through' the Fog so to speak. A Driving light is a standard white light. Given that definition, then I could see why having a true Fog light on during normal conditions could be illegal (the color may be distracting)

Since many cars today are equiped with what I consider a Driving light, how could that possibly be illegal to have on when the weather isn't bad. To me, that would be like getting pulled over for having my interior light on during the day. I can see getting pulled over for having any of the lights out of adjustment, since that would affect other drivers vision, but just a plain white light? I don't get it.

If that were the case, almost everyone with a newer car in my state would get pulled over. Most people who have Driving lights use them around here.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by dobiegillis

I'm going to disagree with you on the inconsiderate and adolescent comments. First of all, it is very unlikely that fog lights which are properly aimed and use correct wattage bulbs would blind another driver, particularly on a Max where the lights are so low to the ground. I would doubt the DOT would have approved the design or use of them in the first place if it was, and manufacturers wouldn't want to take that risk for something that is primarily cosmetic (in a lot of the country anyway). Secondly, I would point out that I am constantly blinded by the low beam headlights of the ubiquitious and massive SUVs (such as the Expedition and Excursion) which are aimed directly at my eyes. I have even been blinded by some older daytime running lights on similar vehicles. No accidents yet.

So if we're being honest, sure I think it looks cool to have your fog lights on which is why mine are always on with my headlights. If there are laws against this, that's fine, I'll risk it as I don't see a significant driving risk. Laws, though good intentioned (in theory), are frequently ridiculous in practice. This is one that I feel is a bit on the ridiculous side. If you don't, that's fine too. That's the beauty of this society.
In that I had to switch my rear view mirror to dim last week because some jerk behind me blinded me with his bright fog lights, I may agree that this sort of thing is unlikely, but it does happen. If it was that improbable, we wouldn't need a law against it. And the fact that SUV's may also blind drivers doesn't enforce your argument regarding fog lights. No accidents yet? Remember, the Captain of Titanic never hit an iceberg after years of crossing the Atlantic before that first one.

But rather than try to convince you otherwise as I am a realist, let me approach it another way by appealing to your common sense. I have learned, through many years of getting my share of tickets in my misguided youth, that it is not wise to get pulled over for a minor infraction that a cop can easily see (like fog lights on, no front plate, or off color side markers) because the cop may then find something more serious, such has having had a few too many beers at that party your coming home from, or no seat belts on, or your proof of insurance being out of date. I would hate to see your being carted off to jail muttering, "If I had only left those stupid fog lights off."
Old 09-25-2002, 07:06 PM

Fogs in Alabama are fine, as long as you don't have more than 4 front-aiming lights on at a time (the purpose of that is to outlaw bubba from simultaneously running the six sets of fogs he has on his pickup truck). I drive with my fogs on whenever my headlights are on because my headlights are stock and don't actually light the road in front of the car worth a crap, and dodging wildlife around here demands adequate lighting. Lousy 9004 headlights...
Old 09-25-2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by dobiegillis
I make fun of people who have fog lights but don't turn them on with their head lights.
Why would you make fun of me? What did I do to you?
Old 09-25-2002, 09:14 PM

Silly law, but you must know that if the law is there, it can and often will be used as PC to make a stop. This is called criminal profiling, whether people like to admit it or not. If I see a vehicle that I "feel" is suspicious, I will look for a reason to stop it. And guess what. It is perfectly legal. The likelyhood of actually being written up for this type of infraction is very slim since any level headed magistrate would toss it. However, it is really nice have such laws in order to make a DUI stop or a posession arrest....tricks of the trade I guess. I am sure many of you know that the majority of felony arrests occur because of minor vehicular infractions, usually failure to dim to an oncoming vehicle, failure to use headlights, or improper lighting, i.e. busted light somewhere. Run the license and they have warrants, or you have PC to search the vehicle and find any sort of contraband.

BTW, nozzle lights are a BIG no no, I guess because most of them are red or blue. That I will write a ticket for every single time.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:43 AM

In that I had to switch my rear view mirror to dim last week because some jerk behind me blinded me with his bright fog lights, I may agree that this sort of thing is unlikely, but it does happen. If it was that improbable, we wouldn't need a law against it. And the fact that SUV's may also blind drivers doesn't enforce your argument regarding fog lights. No accidents yet? Remember, the Captain of Titanic never hit an iceberg after years of crossing the Atlantic before that first one.

But rather than try to convince you otherwise as I am a realist, let me approach it another way by appealing to your common sense. I have learned, through many years of getting my share of tickets in my misguided youth, that it is not wise to get pulled over for a minor infraction that a cop can easily see (like fog lights on, no front plate, or off color side markers) because the cop may then find something more serious, such has having had a few too many beers at that party your coming home from, or no seat belts on, or your proof of insurance being out of date. I would hate to see your being carted off to jail muttering, "If I had only left those stupid fog lights off."
I checked Georgia Code yesterday and it appears that fog lights are legal anytime as long as they are mounted within a certain range on the vehicle and aimed correctly.

Your realism argument is perhaps a better approach than the purist one, although Aristotle would disagree. I, on the other hand, am a realist and regonize the risk associated with driving over the speed limit, with dark tint, or other minor infractions. I suppose my philosophy is that, in general, laws will usually bend a bit so you have to know how much you can push. It depends on where you live. Now I'm not here to say that all laws are meant to be pushed to an extreme, I'm just saying that everything is not only black and white, and sometimes you can get away with a little gray on your side.

Mmmm, philosophy in the morning...yum.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:49 AM
Boost.....

Thank you Maggie.......very instructive. I agree.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:36 AM

Man what is all this BS about? I got stopped tonight for the second time by the same cop for my fog lights being on. I only got a warning, not a ticket, but still, this seems a little stupid to me. 2 55 watt bulbs aimed down at the road for the most part is illegal to use when approaching another vehicle
that is BULLSH1T!
Old 09-26-2002, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

Thank you Maggie.......very instructive. I agree.
Maggie? That's Mr. Maggie to you kid.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by acMAX

that is BULLSH1T!
Didn't read the rest of the thread, huh?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:57 AM

I'm going to have to check the local laws in my area. I have never heard of being stopped becasue you fogs are on when tehre is no fog. I'm guessing that it's OK where I live since I see cars with fogs on ALL the time.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:46 AM
Boost.....

Maggie? That's Mr. Maggie to you kid.
Sure Mr. Maggie.......and BTW Jr. is fine with me.. even though I am almost 30...
Old 09-26-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by TonyVQ
I'm going to have to check the local laws in my area. I have never heard of being stopped becasue you fogs are on when tehre is no fog. I'm guessing that it's OK where I live since I see cars with fogs on ALL the time.
Don't be too quick to say that. Thats what I thought, a lot of cars drive around with them on here too. I didn't even know there was a law against it until I got stopped.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by TonyVQ
It is my impression from reading the statutes that use of fog lights is not illegal in Kentucky, unless specifically enacted in the county. Check KRS 189 at http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/TITLES.HTM.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:34 PM

misaligned fog lights

I have to say that a majority of 4th generation Maximas I've seen on the road with fog lights on have them aimed too high. It varies--some kick off a little glare while others are just like high beams. I had mine adjusted because it seemed to me they were too high (I'd get flashed now and then).

As for use, they can be used anytime. "Fog", "driving", "auxiliary", whatever you want to call them, they're supposed to provide you additional lighting when the weather is bad or street lighting is very low. And they provide that additional light without being blinding to oncoming traffic the way high beams do. So, keeping them aligned is not only courteous but important for safety.

Most states require you to have your main headlights on while fog lights are running. But not all car companies abide by this rule. I know someone with a 3-series BMW and the stock lighting controls allow him to run the foglights without the headlights. I wonder if some car companies have optional configurations depending on what state you buy the car in?
Old 09-27-2002, 11:32 PM

when i went to drivers ed, they told me that if i had fogs on when there was no fog, they can ticket me