General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Built a "cool air" system for a non-CAI intake --->

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2000, 09:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

This simple little system takes cooler air from under the nose and directs it straight to the aftermarket cone filter. This setup will work with the HKS intake, JWT intake, Stillen and such. I tested the system with a fan in front to simulate motion. The air flows pretty strongly across the filter. I took my car out and got it nice and hot. Weather is about 85 degrees. Sure enought the filter stayed much cooler than before. It was just warm where it usually is "baking".

Tools and equipment needed:

7 foot 2 1/2" vacumn hose from Sears (make: Craftsmen) or Home Depot (make: Rigid) ~$17

3 Zipties about 10" long

Cutter to snip thin plastic and cut hose

Instructions (you're in front of the car on the drivers side):

1) Look to the left of the battery (towards the engine). You will see the stock air induction pipes. The inlet pipe mounts to the top of the radiator shroud and another pipe branches off it and goes into a resonator box. Right where the pipe branches off to go into the resonator box (under the battery stand) you'll see a gap between the two pipes that is about 2 1/2" X 2 1/2". Take the vacumn hose with the rigid end that you mount extensions to and send it thru the gap. Pull the hose out from underneath the car and leave 2 feet hanging from underneath and you'll have about 3 feet hanging out the top. Make sure the hose is not contacting anything hot or moving (ie tranny, radiator, etc)

2) From underneath the car, take the hose pull the hose forward. You will see a tow hook. This is what you will ziptie the hose end to. There are two splash guards underneath the car on the driver side. One fits underneath the nose and the other is the fenderwell splash guard. You have to trim both splash guards a little because the hose will come inbetween them and be mounted to the tow hook. Trimming the splash guards is only to keep the hose at a parallel angle and to give more ground clearance. After trimming the splash guards and fitting the hose, take the hose end and use two zipties mount it to the tow hook.

2) Now take the vacumn hose hanging out the top and pull it up and take out some of the slack. Then take the hose and loop it around the front of the battery and over the fuse box and then around the side of the battery closest to the fender and send the hose back towards the cone filter.

3) Cut off excess hose. I then cut the hose at a bit of an angle so the air goes up a little instead of straight. Ziptie the hose to whatever you can find near the battery. I used the wire bundle from the fuse box mounted on the fender panel near the battery.

4) Done

For added heat reduction, I also wrapped my MAF and intake pipe in insulation. First I wrapped the MAF and pipe in alumnium foil. Then I bought a roll of 2" wide alumnium insulation that is aluninum on one side and has sticky tape on the other end ($3 at Home Depot: heating and cooling section). I wrapped the MAF and pipe in the insulation. The reason for the alumnium foil is to keep the sticky tape from getting the MAF and pipe all nasty and sticky. This little mode keeps the MAF and pipe from heating up quickly. Nice for the track.

I hope all this made sense. You've got the basic idea. Maybe someone can come up with something a little better.

Dave

Old 09-08-2000, 02:51 AM

perhaps..

add a heat shield around the filter to keep heat away from it.
for the bottom of the hose by the splash guards, use a drain gutter thing that looks like a trapezoid,as a air scoop. mount the air scoop sercurely so it wont' get tworn off by the speedy wind.

the above are just suggestions for the alteration of the cars intake system. i am not in any way liable for your incapability to work on cars. if you mess up it's your problem