General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who wants to help catch a thief?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Who wants to help catch a thief?

This is all hypothetically speaking ...

Let's say there was an Org member (from here on in, shall be refered to as "Bob" - no offense to the Bobs on the forum.) Bob lives in the US and solds parts to other members of this forum.

Bob took the money and never sent the parts to the people that bought them. They sent emails and Bob simply ignored them or kept on coming up with excuses about why the parts were never sent out.

Currently, only two members are known to have not received parts from Bob. There might be more. Another member suggested that the people who got ripped off, take a flight or drive up to Bob's house and demand the money back. This is, of course, quite unreasonable when they live across the country. And why spend more money to get back what is rightfully theirs? Currently, more than $2000 from these two members are still being held hostage by Bob. And this did not happen recently. It has been over a year and the money still has not be returned nor has communication been established.

In any case, Bob left Maxima.org and will not answer his emails nor phone calls.

Let's assume that Bob has taken more then the $2000+ and more people, in fact, have their money stolen by Bob.

Would members of this forum help in bringing Bob to justice? After all, he lives in the US. He is not like RoadBeast in another country.

I only bring this matter up because everyone seems to want justice for the victims of RoadBeast. But here is Bob, who lives in the US and is much accessible and no one is wanting justice for the people who got ripped off by Bob.

Again ... this is all speaking hypothetically, of course.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Administrator

why don't we just put him on ignore and not answer his posts?
Old 10-10-2002, 09:38 AM

I would definately help catch a theif. Especially if "Bob" lives near me. I know the feeling of being screwed over, and would hate for someone else to go through it.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:44 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i think i have bob's address...

Old 10-10-2002, 09:45 AM
i SeE what you did therE

if we are talking about the same... "bob"
Old 10-10-2002, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

just give us his address and we can figure out what to do or tell him where we could track him down for fun
Old 10-10-2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
why don't we just put him on ignore and not answer his posts?
Bob doesn't come on the boards anymore. And besides ... I took your advice and let the issue go in the RoadBeast thread. The thread is still up and people can do whatever they want to find him. More power to them I say. Which is one reason why I started this thread.

People who lost money from RoadBeast have a right to get their money back ... and people who lost money from Bob have a right to get their money back as well.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:56 AM

I think I know who "Bob" is and I have his address too...
Maybe we should call him Turbo Bob
Old 10-10-2002, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by clee130

Bob doesn't come on the boards anymore. And besides ... I took your advice and let the issue go in the RoadBeast thread. The thread is still up and people can do whatever they want to find him. More power to them I say. Which is one reason why I started this thread.

People who lost money from RoadBeast have a right to get their money back ... and people who lost money from Bob have a right to get their money back as well.
well according to an Orger i spoke with last night.. he spoke to "Bob" and "Bob" is willing to work with him, well since "Bob" is in NY if other can't reason with him.. couple of us can have a mini-beat at his house

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
no diff person
Old 10-10-2002, 10:14 AM

At this moment I cannot confirm or deny the location or name of hypothetical Bob.

While a beatdown might be one solution, that does not necessarily get people's money back.

And ... the Org member is getting only half of his money back, if I am not mistaken. While many people might take that amount, I feel that unjust. Bob also mentioned that if the Org member wants the rest of the money, he'll have to take Bob to court. I don't find that fair at all.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Roadbeef

Re: Who wants to help catch a thief?

Let me help you catch Turbo Bob

1. He use to be a US Marine? correct?
Get his full name and when did he go to boot camp. There is 8 year obligated service on the contract, which means that if he went to boot camp say 1998 his contract is not up until 2006. He did 3, 4, 5 ,6 yrs active service so he gets out. He must join a unit nearest to his home. Call that unit and ask about him and is he on the Alpha roster. If hes on the Alpha roster quickly gather up all the evidence and go to that reserve unit. Drill weekends are usually the first weekend of the month.

2. If you go to his house, have your bullets ready. Have proof that he has ripped the members on the internet. Two go with the police just in case stuff gets out of hand. Internet Fraud may involve the FBI since the transactions have crossed statelines. Not too sure about this one. The two members that gave this individual money need to come up with reciepts as soon as possible. Scan them and one of you that have access to a printer need to print out all this evidence get the two persons addresses and phone number just in case the Police and other detectives get involved. I seen the son of a Bisch post on another forum so he is obviously not at Boot camp.

3. When you catch him post it as a warning for other possible thieves like NG thing and I would gather the evidence and go after that towel head F*cker Roadbeast.

Hope everything works out for everyone take care. This is not a BS post. Just trying to help.

Old 10-10-2002, 10:27 AM

Re: Re: Who wants to help catch a thief?

Originally posted by Roadbeef
Hope everything works out for everyone take care. This is not a BS post. Just trying to help.
Thanks for the advice. Again ... I will not confirm or deny any information about hypothetical Bob at the current moment. However, your advice will be taken into consideration, especially about contacting local and state law enforcement.

I am currently gathering the necessary information in order to present them to law enforcement.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Roadbeef

Re: Re: Re: Who wants to help catch a thief?

Thanks for the advice. Again ... I will not confirm or deny any information about hypothetical Bob at the current moment. However, your advice will be taken into consideration, especially about contacting local and state law enforcement.

I am currently gathering the necessary information in order to present them to law enforcement.
It is much more simple to get law enforcement involved. It is much safer for you and any other members that may go up there. A azzz* wooping wont solve the problem then the tables turn and your being sued for Battery. Thats why I suggested that route. Once the evidence is presented in his face and the police officer starts questioning him explain this? . All of ya take care

Later
RB

Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who wants to help catch a thief?

Originally posted by Roadbeef

It is much more simple to get law enforcement involved. It is much safer for you and any other members that may go up there. A azzz* wooping wont solve the problem then the tables turn and your being sued for Battery. Thats why I suggested that route. Once the evidence is presented in his face and the police officer starts questioning him explain this? . All of ya take care

Later
RB
Hey, a string of intelligent posts by you?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
Is this Bob in Tx?
I cannot and will not confirm or deny ... blah blah blah ... you know the rest.

But I did get the name of one more person who had their money stolen from Bob. I'm am postive that I will find others that also were taken by Bob.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:08 PM

Why not just state the known facts of this particular case? Most of the information that is speculatory is just that speculation. You cannot be sued over what you truly believe.

If it's who I think it is, there may be a few of us "lucky" to have received proper service, yet a vast majority who totally did not. We now have other options for that service and therefore need to educate prospective "customers" and fellow orgers about know facts, so they can make educated purchases and don't get taken.

I applaud the initial attempt to report misdeeds. I just think you should call white white and black black. Let the chips fall where they may. If evidence is available to back up your claim, then there should be no worry about reprocusions because you are justified.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:15 PM

MINI-BEAT

I like the sound of that.....

count me in....
Old 10-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: MINI-BEAT

Originally posted by acMAX
I like the sound of that.....

count me in....
did 'Bob' rip you off too?
Old 10-10-2002, 12:31 PM
BugNout

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Or just BSing Bob. I think I know who it is too! Never heard so much BS in my life!

Old 10-10-2002, 12:32 PM

If he lives near my ill go after him! Ill just get a big group of ppl and show up at his front door :Cracks his knuckles: lets get the theif!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: Re: MINI-BEAT

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

did 'Bob' rip you off too?
actually....I have no idea who this 'Bob' is.
But I HATE thieves, scam artists, and anything of the like.

I've been ripped off on Ebay once and I've also had my rims stolen off
my car(parked right in front of my house) while I slept.
Both times I was enraged but unable to do anything about it.

But this time....looks like we just might be able to do something
to the very type of person I detest.
I realize I'm exhibiting a classic case of displaced anger but
hey....these guys gotta pay one way or another and I'd be happy
to help.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:43 PM

I will only offer this bit of information. It is an individual person we are dealing with. It's is not Bob and Bob's company.

Bob said, "I have an Acme widget to sell." Org member said, "I'll buy your Acme widget, here is $1000." Bob never sends the part.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:52 PM

I think I can help in getting this bob.. AIM clee, if its the same bob we were talking about..
Old 10-10-2002, 12:56 PM

I will only offer this bit of information. It is an individual person we are dealing with. It's is not Bob and Bob's company.

Bob said, "I have an Acme widget to sell." Org member said, "I'll buy your Acme widget, here is $1000." Bob never sends the part.
I still stand by my posting. If those are the know facts, then by all means let everyone know so they don't go and try to buy "a widget for $1000" from a crocked widget salesman. Truth is always a great defense, and information is always a good ally.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who wants to help catch a thief?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Hey, a string of intelligent posts by you?
prob not him
Old 10-10-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
I still stand by my posting. If those are the know facts, then by all means let everyone know so they don't go and try to buy "a widget for $1000" from a crocked widget salesman. Truth is always a great defense, and information is always a good ally.
I understand where you're coming from. But at this point, I'm still in the information gathering stage. Posting the details might tip hypothetical Bob off.

By keeping the facts simple and Bob's name/location/information secret, people can offer semi-impartial advice.

And people can't buy parts from Bob because Bob is no longer on this site. And I believe that Bob is no longer selling anything to anybody because he "wanted to get out of that". I have trusted several people with who Bob is and they are helping me gather information.

At this particular time, not everyone needs to know Bob is or the parties involved. If all goes well and enough information is gathered ... Bob will probably be revealed by next week's end... maybe.

Besides ... we are still talking hypothetically here.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:16 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Posting the details might tip hypothetical Bob off.
that's inevitable

If all goes well and enough information is gathered ... Bob will probably be revealed by next week's end... maybe.
oh goodie.. just in time for
Old 10-10-2002, 01:21 PM

At this particular time, not everyone needs to know Bob is or the parties involved. If all goes well and enough information is gathered ... Bob will probably be revealed by next week's end... maybe.

I guess this means no Mini-Beat huh....

oh well.....as long as he gets whats coming to him....
Old 10-10-2002, 01:26 PM
What's next!?..

Well, since Holloween is coming..

How about we gather some eggs and toilet paper and go visit "bob" for old fashioned eggin.

Old 10-10-2002, 01:27 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Let's pull a Bobbit on Bob
Old 10-10-2002, 01:32 PM

Hello

I'm Bob. And what?!?
Old 10-10-2002, 02:07 PM

I understand where you're coming from. But at this point, I'm still in the information gathering stage. Posting the details might tip hypothetical Bob off.

By keeping the facts simple and Bob's name/location/information secret, people can offer semi-impartial advice.

And people can't buy parts from Bob because Bob is no longer on this site. And I believe that Bob is no longer selling anything to anybody because he "wanted to get out of that". I have trusted several people with who Bob is and they are helping me gather information.

I understand your direction now a little better. If it's who I suspect it is, I purchased something from him, but as hinted to previously I must have been one of the "lucky" ones that got his product. I suspect that after it's all said and done the facts will support the truth and the offender will have to face the music.

As stated by someone earlier, law enforcement is a good avenue, but also as suggested you better have a really clear paper trail so that they are more interested to help in the first place. I was told personally by law enforcement that fraud cases are not a major priority for them due to lack of man-power. I was a victim of identity theft not too long ago and they basically told me to have the bank re-imburse me because they would not pursue the matter because "I could afford it" . In other words, due to lack of man-power they don't usually like to pursue unless it's for large amounts or it's done to needy people (i.e. elderly, indigent, etc.).

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:07 PM

While the "mini-meet" and "eggings" are amusing ... does anyone have any suggestions on how to obtain the money legally.

For instance, let's fast foward a week and I have gathered emails, credit card receipts, things of that nature. How would/should I proceed?
Old 10-10-2002, 02:10 PM

I understand your direction now a little better. If it's who I suspect it is, I purchased something from him, but as hinted to previously I must have been one of the "lucky" ones that got his product. I suspect that after it's all said and done the facts will support the truth and the offender will have to face the music.

As stated by someone earlier, law enforcement is a good avenue, but also as suggested you better have a really clear paper trail so that they are more interested to help in the first place. I was told personally by law enforcement that fraud cases are not a major priority for them due to lack of man-power. I was a victim of identity theft not too long ago and they basically told me to have the bank re-imburse me because they would not pursue the matter because "I could afford it" . In other words, due to lack of man-power they don't usually like to pursue unless it's for large amounts or it's done to needy people (i.e. elderly, indigent, etc.), and what they did to me was pay a $750 home phone bill and bought something for $650 over the internet with my stolen check card number. A dumb blind monkey falling off a log could found the culprit of that one. They did nothing in my case, except tell me to take it up with my bank.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:24 PM

Damn! Jesus! Why did you have to use the name Bob. It wasn't me...
Bob
now ill have a good time trying to sell things on here ever again.
thanks
j/k
Old 10-10-2002, 02:42 PM

While the "mini-meet" and "eggings" are amusing ... does anyone have any suggestions on how to obtain the money legally.

For instance, let's fast foward a week and I have gathered emails, credit card receipts, things of that nature. How would/should I proceed?
Aren't you friends with "Bob"? Why don't you just talk to him.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:00 PM

hey i have an idea...dunno if it's worth it, but if we are going to be responsible on the .org, we might as well partake in it. I figured that when most of this fraud crap happens, people usually cant get a hold of the fraudster. So i suggest we turn in our names, home addresses, office addresses (or in my case, school address) and phone numbers to moderators on the .org BEFORE you can put stuff up for sale. They can request more information like a copy of a dl. Personally, i would do that and expect everyone else who intends taking part in sales and purchases of stuff on the org to do the same. After all, when you know that the moderators have your dl number, you will think twice about ripping someone off. This will be sent as pms and will be kept highly confidential by the moderators of the org. That way if anything goes down, people are easily within reach, and can contact the moderators who, after confirming that there has been a so called "rip-off" they can release full information to the victim. But this will be after a set amount of time like no contact within 3weeks after the end of the transaction.
Also, mobilizing people in the same area as the fraudster to go hunting for him will help too.
Of course, this is just an idea.

oh and by the way, i would advice everyone NOT to use usps money orders; Chances that they will refund them to you in the event of a fraud are close to nil. Thats from experience.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:02 PM
dko
duck and cover

if the item was paid for with a credit card or PayPal you have anywhere between 30 and 90 days to reverse the payment. if it was a money order you may be able to reverse it (call your bank). if it was a check you're up **** creek without a paddle.

basically the only legal way is to:
A) send a nastygram with the help of a lawyer
and/or
B) take him to small claims court
or
C) file a police report with his local PD
Old 10-10-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by dko

if the item was paid for with a credit card or PayPal you have anywhere between 30 and 90 days to reverse the payment. if it was a money order you may be able to reverse it (call your bank). if it was a check you're up **** creek without a paddle.

basically the only legal way is to:
A) send a nastygram with the help of a lawyer
and/or
B) take him to small claims court
or
C) file a police report with his local PD
local pd will ask the amount of the sale if you are not in that state and if they deem it too small an amount, they'll tell you they can't help you.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:08 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Lophix has a good idea there. I think that's a great discussion starter. I just ask that people who pick it apart for flaws pose an alternative that makes it better rather than just saying it's no good. Let's take it as a starting point and see if it's logistically plausible and possible.

Clee - as for what you do to get the money back. If you have a solid case and get backing from the legal side, I suggest you go after immediate repayment from current assets, a lien or garnishing of wages.

Good luck,

JK

Quick Reply: Who wants to help catch a thief?