General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

So the new Z is now a killer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: So the new Z is now a killer

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

But look at the troubles people have had with SC's on the forum. It's a shame to take a 40k 350Z, put that s*** in and then need new seals, blowers, rebuilds, warranty denials, etc. Yep, the Z is a 40k car try to buy one for that mysterious 26k price, we're not talking maximas where 6-spd = 21995!

A Roots blower is stone reliable compared the centrifugal setups like Vortech, Paxton, and ATI use. Roots blowers are what they use on the 03 Cobra, Lightning, Benz, GTP, Comptech NSX SC, TRD, etc. These blowers are good for an honest 100K miles before any kind of rebuild. The great thing and bad thing about the Roots is that it developes power right off idle giving a huge torque increase from idle to 4000rpms (ie there is no waiting for boost), but ultimate power falls short of what you could get from like a Vortech. However, I would MUCH rather have a Roots blower because it's a real-world driving modification. You'd use it all the time and the car would feel like it has a huge V8 under the hood. I wish someone would design one for our Maximas.

Dave
Old 10-20-2002, 11:00 AM
Ford Only.

Dave B is right, the vortech is good, but... Roots is crazy style, you get all you want right off the line and the damn things are reliable as hell. The dude at Stillen (I forgot his name) said they may sell them with just 6psi pulley which should be good for around high 300's at about 4K. I surely hope the Z with a blower could compete with the 03 Cobra, that would be nice especially considering you have a V8 built for boost, that is intercooled with 8:1 compression and just built for boost and a V6 with 10:1 that was built for all motor...that would be rad.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Dave B is right, the vortech is good, but... Roots is crazy style, you get all you want right off the line and the damn things are reliable as hell. The dude at Stillen (I forgot his name) said they may sell them with just 6psi pulley which should be good for around high 300's at about 4K. I surely hope the Z with a blower could compete with the 03 Cobra, that would be nice especially considering you have a V8 built for boost, that is intercooled with 8:1 compression and just built for boost and a V6 with 10:1 that was built for all motor...that would be rad.
6 psi on a Roots blower won't get you high 300s. I don't know where Stillen is getting their numbers from unless they're doing some Riceboy math. Right off the bat, the 350Z puts down ~240rwhp and ~225rwtq correct? A 6 psi Roots will add ~40rwhp and 50rwtq. That right there is good for low 13s at around 105mph. I would be very scared to run anything more that 8 psi on the Z motor. It's just not made for boost and Roots blowers generate a ton of heat. ICs for Roots blowers are complicated and there just isn't the room for the IC (they usually sit between the block and blower on a Roots).

Dave
Old 10-20-2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

From a business point of view it would be crazy for Stillen to make a SC for just the 350z. The will alway be many more Altima's and Max's and the road then 350z.
That doesn't matter! There will always be more people who want superchargers for their 350Z than owners of the Maxima or Altima. Even if there are more maxima/altima owners, 90% of them don't know what a VQ is.

Hopefully all the Z owners know what a VQ is or I would feel sorry for the car.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:46 PM

i personally like it
more power!!!!
nee mo powa
Old 10-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by Dave B

6 psi on a Roots blower won't get you high 300s. I don't know where Stillen is getting their numbers from unless they're doing some Riceboy math. Right off the bat, the 350Z puts down ~240rwhp and ~225rwtq correct? A 6 psi Roots will add ~40rwhp and 50rwtq. That right there is good for low 13s at around 105mph. I would be very scared to run anything more that 8 psi on the Z motor. It's just not made for boost and Roots blowers generate a ton of heat. ICs for Roots blowers are complicated and there just isn't the room for the IC (they usually sit between the block and blower on a Roots).

Dave
yup! It seems as if Stillen is not doing anything for the Maxima. I was kind of talking to the guy and just by talking to him he seemed to not know shiet. We were talking about turbos that some Max's are running and how you can make more power...he was just quick to say they were unreliable and dont work half the time. I am guessing they should lay down around 290-310whp and around 350-360 overall. I did witness something sad, they dyno'd a new Z at it only got 216whp.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

talk about rain on the belts... *slip slip*

OMG
Old 10-20-2002, 05:38 PM

Blower might be too small

- That black Z with the blower looks pretty wicked. My only beef is that it looks like its an Eaton M62 model... If it is, it might not be thermally efficient enough for all 3.5 liters under the hood.

- Some of the Miata guys have been messing around with M62's. They were tired of the smaller M45 heating the intake charge too much under higher boost levels. The larger M62 was much more thermally efficient, but it required a PITA stand-alone engine management system, so only two or three guys had ones running/being built.

- I'm afraid that the Stillen kit will be to the Z what the Jackson Racing M45 kit is to the Miata guys. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Good thing Eaton makes even bigger blowers. Hee hee hee.

- My gut says that Nissan is developing a turbo VQ motor, although it may be for the Skyline (Skyline will definitely be built on the FM platform - the front suspension has been built to incorporate all-wheel drive, according to SCC). I saw pictures of the engine on some Japanese site while I was surfing around one day. I couldn't read anything (it was all in Japanese), but the caption under the photo specifically read VQ35DETT. It was a wicked looking engine - black powdercoat on everything with blue anodized fittings. Me likee very much. I have the picture saved and will try to figure out how to post it in a minute.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:41 PM
Ford Only.

I dont know, there are sooo many rumors, I heard there is already a turbo kit in Japan and some guy in the US already has it, he is supposed to be on the Z site. I also heard Nissan is developing an all new line up and changing the engine from a VQ to a VR...all just rumors.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
I dont know, there are sooo many rumors, I heard there is already a turbo kit in Japan and some guy in the US already has it, he is supposed to be on the Z site. I also heard Nissan is developing an all new line up and changing the engine from a VQ to a VR...all just rumors.
Sooner or later Nissan will not only be making a N/A Z...but a TT Z!

A Z without a turbo is a like a ricer without an aluminum wing.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:51 PM

- The only reason Nissan would change engines to a potential VR series would be if the VQ doesn't meet emissions. Even then, it will take at least a few years before they do that. They would never have released the VQ35DE if it didn't meet upcoming emissions laws. Too much money spent in tooling costs and research.

- Alright, I can't figure out how to get this stupid picture posted. I think that you have to provide a link, and I don't have the site. I'll email it to someone else if they want to post it.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- The only reason Nissan would change engines to a potential VR series would be if the VQ doesn't meet emissions. Even then, it will take at least a few years before they do that. They would never have released the VQ35DE if it didn't meet upcoming emissions laws. Too much money spent in tooling costs and research.

- Alright, I can't figure out how to get this stupid picture posted. I think that you have to provide a link, and I don't have the site. I'll email it to someone else if they want to post it.
i'll post it...email it to me (use the link on the left)
Old 10-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GLE02NJ

That doesn't matter! There will always be more people who want superchargers for their 350Z than owners of the Maxima or Altima. Even if there are more maxima/altima owners, 90% of them don't know what a VQ is.

Hopefully all the Z owners know what a VQ is or I would feel sorry for the car.
I would say most buyers of any new car do not make any mods at all, including the 350z. Let's face it, for most people the power that a 350z is more than enough.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:03 PM

i'll post it...email it to me (use the link on the left)
I can't - I need a better address. The forum mail won't let you send any pictures and your profile didn't list an email.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:06 PM

I can't - I need a better address. The forum mail won't let you send any pictures and your profile didn't list an email.
xselfdestruct@aol.com
Old 10-20-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Blower might be too small

- My gut says that Nissan is developing a turbo VQ motor, although it may be for the Skyline (Skyline will definitely be built on the FM platform - the front suspension has been built to incorporate all-wheel drive, according to SCC). I saw pictures of the engine on some Japanese site while I was surfing around one day. I couldn't read anything (it was all in Japanese), but the caption under the photo specifically read VQ35DETT. It was a wicked looking engine - black powdercoat on everything with blue anodized fittings. Me likee very much. I have the picture saved and will try to figure out how to post it in a minute.
FYI, Nissan's been selling turbo VQs in JDM-land for years. The VQ25DET is rated at 276hp, just like the RB26DETT. The same goes for the VQ30DET.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:08 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

G-H-E-T-T-O

mang. it was a neat idea for an Eaton Roots. but that hood was a cut fiberglass ghetto rigged with tape. :P

imho. i'm gonna try to get the Greddy Turbo Kit if it ever goes to production.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
G-H-E-T-T-O

mang. it was a neat idea for an Eaton Roots. but that hood was a cut fiberglass ghetto rigged with tape. :P

imho. i'm gonna try to get the Greddy Turbo Kit if it ever goes to production.
nice glasses lol...j/k

Do you think your car is an ambulance by the way?
Old 10-20-2002, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

From a business point of view it would be crazy for Stillen to make a SC for just the 350z. The will alway be many more Altima's and Max's and the road then 350z. The fact that it works on a 350z safely means it should work on our cars. I know fitting it under the hood may be a different issue but again, Stillen would be crazy not to figure out how to do that. I least that's what I'm praying for.
Not really the Z is an enthusiasts car. The Altima and Maxima are family sedans.....

Big difference. Its why a Turbo upgrade would be a bigger seller on a Supra than on a Accord V6..... Which has a bigger userbase and which will have a bigger enthusiast base?
Old 10-21-2002, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Bad97MaxSE
isnt there a "race ready" version of the Z avalable through nissan ?
Yes, you can see it in "Road and Track". It's will have 450hp and weigh around 2400 to 2500 lbs. You can buy it for around $75,000, it looks PHAT.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:30 AM

Whoa! That car is a thing of beauty!
Old 10-21-2002, 10:03 AM

Torque

Originally posted by Larrio
the mossy nissan company 3.5 altima freakin put down more hp/torque than the 350z.. ok so no comparison cause one is stock and the other is completely modded but still NA.

For a 280+hp car, it dyno'ed at 225hp
For a 270+lb torque car, it dyno'ed around 228 lb of torque

The altima on the other did a 228hp and a 238 lb. of torque
THis out of an engine spec'ed at 240hp

This is true... Its no big deal that the Z has an SC now because remember,(I had to learn this the hard way) maybe the overall HP will be 350 but only around 320 WHP and only about 280 torque... I'm just going by dyno#'s from other SC'd Maximas. If it can produce the same torque and WHP... it will really be formidable... but we'll see I guess.

Deac
Old 10-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the mossy nissan company 3.5 altima freakin put down more hp/torque than the 350z.. ok so no comparison cause one is stock and the other is completely modded but still NA.

For a 280+hp car, it dyno'ed at 225hp
For a 270+lb torque car, it dyno'ed around 228 lb of torque

The altima on the other did a 228hp and a 238 lb. of torque
THis out of an engine spec'ed at 240hp
Those numbers are about right. The 287HP Z with 21% drivetrain power loss will make 225WHP.

The 240HP Altima makes 190WHP. Add bolt ons, free up the exhaust flow, you can get the 38HP for a total of 228WHP.

If you add the same bolt-ons to the Z (hypothetically), you could get 225+38= 263WHP. Add the SC (~40-60WHP), 300-320WHP. Not bad at all.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:18 AM

Sooner or later Nissan will not only be making a N/A Z...but a TT Z!

A Z without a turbo is a like a ricer without an aluminum wing.
I don't think Nissan will be making a turbo Z. They learned from their $45K mistake the last time they tried it. Their goal with the 350Z is to offer the ultimate performance per buck while selling enough of them to make a decent profit. They will reserve their VQ35TT for their upscale, low volume GTR to compete in the $50-$75K range.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS

I don't think Nissan will be making a turbo Z. They learned from their $45K mistake the last time they tried it. Their goal with the 350Z is to offer the ultimate performance per buck while selling enough of them to make a decent profit. They will reserve their VQ35TT for their upscale, low volume GTR to compete in the $50-$75K range.
It'd be nice if they at least made the turbo an option. Just like with the 300ZX. They've got 5 models as it is, might as well add a 6th and charge $40K for it.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:38 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by Tanman

Those numbers are about right. The 287HP Z with 21% drivetrain power loss will make 225WHP.

The 240HP Altima makes 190WHP. Add bolt ons, free up the exhaust flow, you can get the 38HP for a total of 228WHP.

If you add the same bolt-ons to the Z (hypothetically), you could get 225+38= 263WHP. Add the SC (~40-60WHP), 300-320WHP. Not bad at all.
it was also debated that since they did the test in 3rd gear, the hp and torque specs are not completely accurate
Old 10-21-2002, 12:47 PM

it was also debated that since they did the test in 3rd gear, the hp and torque specs are not completely accurate
I thought you normally dyno in 3rd gear?
Old 10-21-2002, 12:55 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Tanman

I thought you normally dyno in 3rd gear?
in an auto yes..but not a 5/6 speed , normally 4th gear is the closest to 1:1 ratio