General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Used Purchase help: '01/02 WRX vs. '01 5MT Max

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 02:01 PM

Used Purchase help: '01/02 WRX vs. '01 5MT Max

Both are gunna cost about the same, I'm thinking Max wins for size, WRX wins for the "fun" factor.. anyone w/ any input?
Old 10-20-2002, 02:04 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Used Purchase help: '01/02 WRX vs. '01 5MT Max

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Both are gunna cost about the same, I'm thinking Max wins for size, WRX wins for the "fun" factor.. anyone w/ any input?
i was considering the 2 but went with the max. WHY??

because I dont really need the all wheel drive and turbo. max is just as fun for me when tuned. I am questioning subarus reliablity when the miles with pile up. I just sold a maxima with 124K miles that runs like new and you will never tell it had that many miles. Im going for 2k 5psd SE maxima myself. Unless I see a 2k2
Old 10-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

i am a tuner.. WRX all the way
Old 10-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Granny Driven

BTW. WRX came out only in 2k2 so it will be more expensive then the 2k maxima.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want decent performance and good reliablility - Maxima.
If you want great performance and poor reliability - WRX.

Both are fun, the WRX naturally has a little more kick to it but you can put more people in the Maxima. Also IMO the WRX is not a good-looking car. But I would still take it over the Maxima for the performance.
-Cyrus
Old 10-20-2002, 02:22 PM
BugNout

Max is bigger and looks a lot better.

Turbo will be available for it shortly as well.

Old 10-20-2002, 02:22 PM

Mmmm....turbooo.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:28 PM

all out speed, the wrx will always be faster. there are so much more aftermarket support for a wrx than a maxima. upgrading the turbo and controller alone will get you into the 12s if not 11's

maxima is more reliable and more of a daily driver. so if that matters, than choose a maxima.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:30 PM

I've owned 2 Maximas and now own a WRX.

I don't understand how a many people can honestly say a WRX is NOT reliable. They have been in the States for what...a year now? Too short of amount of time to declare statements like that. True, they have been around a lot longer over on the other side of the world, but even they don't say the WRX is unreliable. You may hear stories of parts breaking, but this happens on every car that becomes highly modified or continuously beaten on.

As far as the weak tranny...well most of those problems happened in the first year but now has been corrected due to weak materials from Fuji industries. If you beat on any transmission, it will break. That is always a given rule.

If you want a drag car, neither the WRX or Maxima is ideal. Family sedan vs a rally car.

The WRX def. wins for fun factor but if you want room and some pep, get a Maxima. If you don't mind being in a tiny car that has a bit more pep (notice I didn't claim "fast") then consider a WRX.

I bought mine because I like the AWD, and the Boxer 4 (Based off of Porsche Design) and the fact that is it turbocharged. I also love the look of the WRX, while others think its the ugliest thing in the world (Bad self esteem? Perhaps ).

This is my opinion only. Not everyone will agree.

BTW-for the non i-club memebers, the WRX is already pulling off mid 9's down the 1320. Not bad for a rally car w/ a boxer 4.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Synki
I've owned 2 Maximas and now own a WRX.

I don't understand how a many people can honestly say a WRX is NOT reliable. They have been in the States for what...a year now? Too short of amount of time to declare statements like that. True, they have been around a lot longer over on the other side of the world, but even they don't say the WRX is unreliable. You may hear stories of parts breaking, but this happens on every car that becomes highly modified or continuously beaten on.

As far as the weak tranny...well most of those problems happened in the first year but now has been corrected due to weak materials from Fuji industries. If you beat on any transmission, it will break. That is always a given rule.

If you want a drag car, neither the WRX or Maxima is ideal. Family sedan vs a rally car.

The WRX def. wins for fun factor but if you want room and some pep, get a Maxima. If you don't mind being in a tiny car that has a bit more pep (notice I didn't claim "fast") then consider a WRX.

I bought mine because I like the AWD, and the Boxer 4 (Based off of Porsche Design) and the fact that is it turbocharged. I also love the look of the WRX, while others think its the ugliest thing in the world (Bad self esteem? Perhaps ).

This is my opinion only. Not everyone will agree.

BTW-for the non i-club memebers, the WRX is already pulling off mid 9's down the 1320. Not bad for a rally car w/ a boxer 4.
I like the look of the new WRX. But to me the car only looks good in blue.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by MaximaGXE93

I like the look of the new WRX. But to me the car only looks good in blue.
I agree. Blue is the only color for the WRX. Their yellow is the worst puke yellow I've seen. Thumbs up on the fun factor. A coworker has one and it's definately got fun factor while driving.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:41 PM
is invisible

WRX

A friend has one (in blue ) and it's a blast.

As much as I love the Max, it's not the car for me this time around. I don't need the passenger room and I don't see the point in driving a FWD, family sedan at my age.

The WRX is what suits me. AWD, small, fun, fast, and it hauls (at least the wagon does).

As for reliability, check out those long-term tests the mags do. They beat the snot out of the car and it holds just fine.

It looks like I'll be joining the cult soon enough.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:48 AM

Re: WRX

Originally posted by CoolMax
A friend has one (in blue ) and it's a blast.

As much as I love the Max, it's not the car for me this time around. I don't need the passenger room and I don't see the point in driving a FWD, family sedan at my age.

The WRX is what suits me. AWD, small, fun, fast, and it hauls (at least the wagon does).

As for reliability, check out those long-term tests the mags do. They beat the snot out of the car and it holds just fine.

It looks like I'll be joining the cult soon enough.
Me too...maybe. Won't be getting another car for at least another 3 years By then there will probably be more cool cars to choose from.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:18 AM
Blu
the tits

evo VIII
Old 10-21-2002, 06:56 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

i agree with Stynki
Old 10-21-2002, 06:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WRX hands down!

Personally, I would wait for the STi and EVO to come out first. That would be a much tougher decision IMO.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
i agree with Stynki
Thank-cue hehe.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here we go again! I debated this not too long ago. It was getting a WRX or supercharging my Maxima. I went with the latter for several reasons, most related to family circumstances.

To make a long story short:
If any of the following apply get a WRX:
**Big time into modding your car/LOVE aftermarket stuff.
**Want > 350 hp...reliably without breaking the bank.
**Want a 12 second daily driver.
**Don;t mind bug-eye headlights.
**Are less than 200 lbs so you can fit comfortably in smaller seats.
**Don't need to take clients out to fancy restaurants.
Get a WRX!
WRX is pure power. It rides like a freaking go-kart, but can do 60' times like NO maxima can.

Maxima = a good balance of luxury, power, size/image.
Peace & I'm out
Old 10-21-2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
evo VIII
I don't know smack about the EvoIII
Old 10-21-2002, 07:41 PM

i was debating selling my max for a wrx, but i would rather just pay the max off and continue with my modding. but if i had the cash and didnt have to worry about college i would sell my 97' and get a wrx, so if you dont have a family and could care less about luxery and such, get a wrx