General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Educational Course Needed - Rev Matching

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:13 AM
MaximaFreak

Educational Course Needed - Rev Matching

So, I guess I have the general idea, seems like a simple concept, but how to really get good at this? Is it all just practice? I had a killer rev-matched downshift into 2nd gear last night at about 35 MPH (by accident) and floored it, and the car just gets up and goes. I have done this on occasion - mostly by accident - and it really is better for accelleration/decelleration as well as obviously being better for the car/clutch. Anyone care to teach someone who cares to listen?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Educational Course Needed - Rev Matching

Originally posted by Big_Ham
So, I guess I have the general idea, seems like a simple concept, but how to really get good at this? Is it all just practice? I had a killer rev-matched downshift into 2nd gear last night at about 35 MPH (by accident) and floored it, and the car just gets up and goes. I have done this on occasion - mostly by accident - and it really is better for accelleration/decelleration as well as obviously being better for the car/clutch. Anyone care to teach someone who cares to listen?
It is all practice. Using your example, basically, In third gear going 35 mph, clutch in, simultaneously shift into second while tapping the gas to rev match, let clutch out. RPM should be about 3000-3500?

It took me about a week to get it, then after a while it becomes second nature. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 10-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Banned

once you get the rev matching down then you should try heel-toe shifting. That is when you are slowing down and you have part of your foot on the brake and another part on the gas. Pressing the gas as you brake. Once you get good at it, you will barely feel the car change gears because it will be so smooth and seamless.

Cheston(Chebosto) has a good article of how to do it on his website.

here~~>
Old 10-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by matt calder
Cheston(Chebosto) has a good article of how to do it on his website.

here~~>
Chebosto drives like my granny.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Chebosto drives like my granny.

The chiggers are holding him back, I tell you.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:10 AM

There are a bunch of good videos you can check out: BMW M5 Virtual Driving School

WARNING: You'll want a fast network connection to download these!!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:18 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by StygianMax
There are a bunch of good videos you can check out: BMW M5 Virtual Driving School

WARNING: You'll want a fast network connection to download these!!
NOW we're talking. Thanks much, I'm downloading them as we speak.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

NOW we're talking. Thanks much, I'm downloading them as we speak.
Enjoy! I downloaded them at work & stored them in my laptop. The video/audio quality is very good. It was through the downshifting video that I learned to better rev match. To think I was "abusing" my synchro prior to that! I wish I would have learned the proper way to downshift looong ago.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:24 PM

Thanks TONS! Those videos are just what I knew the internet could produce. Thanks again and watch out for a black 6spd in Texas
Old 10-22-2002, 04:53 PM

I often downshift without rev matching, let's say I', going 40 in third, momentary foot of gas, switch to second, blip throttle and go, anything wrong with this, I have an good aftermarket clutch? If racing, this seems to work a lot faster. This is not powershifting because power****ing is shifting without ever letting go of the gas, have been driving 5 speed for about 5 months,now, I can rev match, but find it cumbersome compared to what I do, anything wrong with it?
Old 10-22-2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by brodaiga
I often downshift without rev matching, let's say I', going 40 in third, momentary foot of gas, switch to second, blip throttle and go, anything wrong with this, I have an good aftermarket clutch?
I used to blip my throttle when downshifting sometimes. After I read a post & watched the Bimmer M5 video about rev matching, I'm starting to think "blipping the throttle" & "rev matching" are closely related, if not outright one & the same. The end result seems to be the same thing.

Are we referring to the same process by two different names?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:11 AM

Close...

It's like the means to an end. You blip the throttle so that you can match your revs.
The double-clutching technique uses rev matching, as well as the previously mentioned heel-toe shift. To double-clutch, you lift of the throttle, put the clutch in, shift to neutral, release the clutch, blip the throttle, put the clutch back in and then shift to the desired gear.
You just have to make sure you blip correctly, or you'll mess up.

I hope I got the double-clutching part right, since I don't know from experience. I'm an automagic driver.