General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Detonation above 9psi, visited JWT also (its LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 12:06 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Detonation above 9psi, visited JWT also (its LONG)

JWT experince

we arrive at 8am because Clark tells me to bring the car in first thing in the morning. I meet Jim Wolf first and he says Clark wont be in until 9:30am. Jim takes a quick look at the car asking questions likes why im running a BOV and a breather filter and things like that. Malik parks his SC400 in the customer parking area, one of Jim's employees arrives and Jim asks Malik to move his car so that his employee can park there....uhhhh? Anyways, Malik and i leave for breakfast and while we're eating i told him i have a feeling we're gonna get screwed over today.

Go back at 9:30am, Clark is there and installing their Horiba A/F meter. Jim comments on my suspension saying its dangerous and bottoms out all the time. Clark then says a stock Maxima would outhandle my car. at first i thought they were kiddin but they kept giving me negative comments all day long about my car. ok so the Consult/boost gauge/A/F meter is all hooked up and we go on some test runs. Jim driving and Clark sittin shotgun. im in the back seat. Jim scrapes the exhaust and comments on all the suspension clunking noises, Clark sets the boost controller while both of them clown on the AVC-R saying its a bad boost controller and one of the worse inventions made because its all for show and "wannabe pimp" He took it up this one road and keeps brining the EGT's to well past 950C. im scared at this point but what can i do. Log some information and we go back for some ECU tweaking. this was the longest part of the day, logging information and returning for some tweaking. Basically we kept gettin detonation above 9psi so he says he cant advance the timing any. A/F is about 11:1 We go on several more test runs on new programs and still get detonation. 2 times Jim hits a dip in the road that you should slow down at cause of a lowered car but he hits it at regular speed and bottoms out the car, i hear my bumper, subframe connectors and downpipe scrape the floor, he acts like its nothing and continues on. Then back to the shop and Jim says he is going to lunch with Clark. Malik and i sit there chillin waiting for them to get back. 1 1/2 hours later they return and we continue. I got the stock ECU dyno and JWT ECU dyno to show them. results were better with the stock ECU. They compared the 2 dyno sheets and said how this run doesnt count these 2 are on par with the stock ECU. But i was thinking "your ECU should be BETTER then stock, not ON PAR" Clark says he cant belive there would be any drivibilty with the stock ECU in there, i keep telling him it ran good with it. so finally i swapped in the stock ECU really quick to show him and he didnt say anything. In the end, they redid my ECU program with 1 degree advance and A/F of 10.75:1 Not too happy with the results but at that point i was juss ready to leave. Clark metions that itll be $100 for the tuning. ughh, i thought it was gonna be free, espically since not much was done. So i paid the $100 and JIm brings out a liscene plate frame and goes "put this on your car when its fast" Whatever...i juss wanted to leave....

anyways, we were talkin bout how the downpipe is setup and said its possible that that is causing my detonation issues. basically my wastegate only bleeds off the rear 3 cylinders. it could cause pressure differential blah blah. does this make sense to anyone??
Old 10-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WOW, great customer service!!! Fokers, you should told them to give you $100 for waisting yor time and beating on your car. Who in the hell do they think they are!!! I'd have shoved that license plate frame up Jims Wolfs A**!!!

F them and their crappy ECU's
Old 10-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

So I take it you're going to stick with the stock ECU? Just have them reprogram the JWT ECU for N/A 95-96 and sell it.

I would've said stuff if I was there with you.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:22 PM
Ford Only.

that sucks dude...you do not make negative comments to your customers. It makes me think twice about going to them for a ECU, especially if stock did the same. Any dyno numbers?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:23 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

!!!!

What a bunch of bish's! Ya shoulda slapped em for beating on your car!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:25 PM

Told you guys JWT was run by clowns. **** them dude..
Old 10-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Something tells me age and race were involved in this incident.....
Old 10-23-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
WOW, great customer service!!! Fokers, you should told them to give you $100 for waisting yor time and beating on your car. Who in the hell do they think they are!!! I'd have shoved that license plate frame up Jims Wolfs A**!!!

F them and their crappy ECU's
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
and
what does jim wolf drives himself?? a automatic geo metro??
Old 10-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sounds like they had no respect for your vehicle. They treated it like it was just another job. Bottoming it out like that, the comments, I'd be ****ssed off big time! I probably would have stopped them dead in their tracks upon hitting that bump with no attempt to slow down.

And you actually paid $$ for this? No****enWay that $hit would have gone on if it was my car. They would have got an ear full and sum from me in a second.

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well for you.

Tom
Old 10-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That really is unfortunate

****ty service seems to be everywhere. Too bad they beat on your car while insulting you...they must think they are hot ****!

D
Old 10-23-2002, 12:44 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Hi Matthel,

Yeah, I visited them once... I was surprised to see how small the shop was (which doesn't really shouldn't be a factor). They didn't have too much for our cars at the time. They treated us "OK"... maybe because we drove up in a Boxster S.

Didn't you get in on the J&S Safeguard? You of all people could really use it.

As far as whether your car is "pimp" or not and such...
The company should have shown a bit more care for your car, to say the least. I'm surprised why some companies don't understand how stuff like this affects their reputation.

As for your wastegate... I'm not sure how your turbo is plumbed but it could be an issue if it is only on the rear bank. The 'backpressure' would be slightly different between banks... I'm not 100% sure.. I'll ask my brother and his friends on the Supra Forum.

This is what I meant when I said SC's are easier to tune than Turbos (Disclaimer: General Statement).

As for the "JIM WOLF" license plate frame... put it where it belongs...
Old 10-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

WTF?

Sorry to hear that.....this changes my opinion of JWT completely.

*** them and their sh!tty COPIES/wantabe products.

Can you explain more of what you mean when you said, "ok so the Consult/boost gauge/A/F meter is all hooked up". Did they connect this to the Consult/OBD port under the dash?

Any measurements on intake air temperatures during detonation? What compression ratio does your built motor have?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:53 PM

Re: Detonation above 9psi, visited JWT also (its LONG)

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
JWT experince

we arrive at 8am because Clark tells me to bring the car in first thing in the morning. I meet Jim Wolf first and he says Clark wont be in until 9:30am. Jim takes a quick look at the car asking questions likes why im running a BOV and a breather filter and things like that. Malik parks his SC400 in the customer parking area, one of Jim's employees arrives and Jim asks Malik to move his car so that his employee can park there....uhhhh? Anyways, Malik and i leave for breakfast and while we're eating i told him i have a feeling we're gonna get screwed over today.

Go back at 9:30am, Clark is there and installing their Horiba A/F meter. Jim comments on my suspension saying its dangerous and bottoms out all the time. Clark then says a stock Maxima would outhandle my car. at first i thought they were kiddin but they kept giving me negative comments all day long about my car. ok so the Consult/boost gauge/A/F meter is all hooked up and we go on some test runs. Jim driving and Clark sittin shotgun. im in the back seat. Jim scrapes the exhaust and comments on all the suspension clunking noises, Clark sets the boost controller while both of them clown on the AVC-R saying its a bad boost controller and one of the worse inventions made because its all for show and "wannabe pimp" He took it up this one road and keeps brining the EGT's to well past 950C. im scared at this point but what can i do. Log some information and we go back for some ECU tweaking. this was the longest part of the day, logging information and returning for some tweaking. Basically we kept gettin detonation above 9psi so he says he cant advance the timing any. A/F is about 11:1 We go on several more test runs on new programs and still get detonation. 2 times Jim hits a dip in the road that you should slow down at cause of a lowered car but he hits it at regular speed and bottoms out the car, i hear my bumper, subframe connectors and downpipe scrape the floor, he acts like its nothing and continues on. Then back to the shop and Jim says he is going to lunch with Clark. Malik and i sit there chillin waiting for them to get back. 1 1/2 hours later they return and we continue. I got the stock ECU dyno and JWT ECU dyno to show them. results were better with the stock ECU. They compared the 2 dyno sheets and said how this run doesnt count these 2 are on par with the stock ECU. But i was thinking "your ECU should be BETTER then stock, not ON PAR" Clark says he cant belive there would be any drivibilty with the stock ECU in there, i keep telling him it ran good with it. so finally i swapped in the stock ECU really quick to show him and he didnt say anything. In the end, they redid my ECU program with 1 degree advance and A/F of 10.75:1 Not too happy with the results but at that point i was juss ready to leave. Clark metions that itll be $100 for the tuning. ughh, i thought it was gonna be free, espically since not much was done. So i paid the $100 and JIm brings out a liscene plate frame and goes "put this on your car when its fast" Whatever...i juss wanted to leave....

anyways, we were talkin bout how the downpipe is setup and said its possible that that is causing my detonation issues. basically my wastegate only bleeds off the rear 3 cylinders. it could cause pressure differential blah blah. does this make sense to anyone??

yeah, let's see how many ppl are going to buy their NEW Cams they just came out for 95-01 maximas!!!

"sigh" why all the nissan tuners in U.S just suck????
Old 10-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I would...

have the damaged parts that dragged on the ground repaired and send them an invoice.

Since they did not declare the tuning was above the cost of proving their system worked, you did not declare that beatin your car was part of proving their system did not work.

Is there an approved work order where you were told the cost of tuning and signed off on it? Even when you go to the WORST muffler shop, you have to sign stating you were told the "estimated" cost and it can only deviate +/- a certain percentage.

I think Kevs statement was a more logical conclusion on what could have been happening. Do that to a different segment of the population and those two might not have made it past the first drive. Some of the gents who frequent a local speed shop with their domestic iron (very sweet and VERY powerful, no rice here) would have driven them far-FAR away and if they did not beat them the be-jezus outt of them, would just leave them there.

Not like my couple of $$ will sway anybody, but JWT will never be an option for me.

And the comment on the cams....not even a proven dyno to show for that many C-notes. Dont give me that "if you know cars you would know it will be more powerful" crap. Cause its just that, hiding behind an excuse.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:55 PM
SLOW

I've heard Jim Wolf is a bit of a weirdo and a d!ck, this confirms it. This pretty much goes right along with the fact that every single time I call there to ask questions of a technical nature (mostly ECU related) they act like I'm wasting their time and they don't want to be on the phone with me. What sucks even more is that I still want that raised rev limiter and cams
Old 10-23-2002, 01:01 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I tell you what.. Jim Wolf .. I thought about buying some of your products.. I have not bought any yet... I will NOT be buying any JWT product new or used.

Consider this a farewell notice from a possible customer

have a BAD day
Old 10-23-2002, 01:02 PM

This is the problem when a company is started by people who have never run a customer oriented bussiness. But being car people I would have expected them to atleast treat your car well.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: I would...

Originally posted by Colonel
Not like my couple of $$ will sway anybody, but JWT will never be an option for me.
Maybe your "couple of $$" won't do anything for JWT, but a few "bad-mouths" can spread like wildfire around here at Maxima.org. That "bad rap" can hurt business.

Honestly, I think JWT was ticked off over Turbo95Max sucessfully installing a turbo, when they couldn't produce one. That's MONEY and a market they didn't capitalize on, because they couldn't figure it out.

They lost, so they decided to focus the anger by making fun of his car.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:05 PM

dam 14 replies already.....

i was upset how they treated my car and what they were doing but i guess i didnt know what to say. im chicken sheit like that....

ugh, always got probs
Old 10-23-2002, 01:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: I would...

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Honestly, I think JWT was ticked off over Turbo95Max sucessfully installing a turbo, when they couldn't produce one. That's MONEY and a market they didn't capitalize on, because they couldn't figure it out.

They lost, so they decided to focus the anger by making fun of his car.
But it does look ricey with Tantrums in the front and Typhoons in the back.

Matthel = Cheston = Rice

i was upset how they treated my car and what they were doing but i guess i didnt know what to say. im chicken sheit like that....

ugh, always got probs
Its alwayts easy for people behind a computer to tell you what you should have done. It is a lot harder to express these same fealings to someone who thinks they know more than you.

Ugh...El Cajon. I used to live there. Don't you love the roads?
It's a shame their such a bunch of d!cks. I guess it's out with Stillen and JWT for me.

At least Brian Catts is a nice guy
Old 10-23-2002, 01:08 PM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by costcowholesale

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
and
what does jim wolf drives himself?? a automatic geo metro??
hehe, no he drives a 600+HP TTZ that is in alot of mags.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: I would...

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

But it does look ricey with Tantrums in the front and Typhoons in the back.

Matthel = Cheston = Rice

Dam, hittin a brotha when he's down
Old 10-23-2002, 01:09 PM

ugh, always got probs
I'm the same fukn way! I hate it. I just bend over and take it in the azz.

That's when I let my wife take care of them.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:12 PM

That's sad. F*ck Jim Wolf and Stillen. I probably would have smacked him in his neck for driving over those bumps like that.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:12 PM

yea we were kinda surprised that Jim Wolf didnt have anything good or positive to say about the car.

at first i didnt want to post this but everyone i talked to told me to. im not expecting people to boycott JWT or not, your welcome to buy whatever products you want. i was juss posting my experince with them...and ive heard other people have had probs
Old 10-23-2002, 01:14 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Hmm...

that sucks matthel. you should call them up and complain, write a formal letter to him, along with a CC to the better business beauru and / or local TV station. they have those consumer alert stuff.

as for customer service, what can we all learn about tuner companies with high-headed owners? not good.
aka steve millen/ jim wolf. probably the two biggest arseoles in the nissan tuning business. sad that its true.

as far as the dual rim spokes comment from keving. forget it. there are certain times for jokes keving....
Old 10-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: I would...

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Dam, hittin a brotha when he's down
He knows I'm just messing with him. He does the same to me.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
hehe, no he drives a 600+HP TTZ that is in alot of mags.
Heh, no. That car is owned by Mike Kojima. He's built a few 600 engine HP Z's but I doubt he owns one. His ECU tuning on those suck too.

BTW, to whoever said JWT couldn't build a turbo Maxima, they've already built 3.

Anyways, if you wanna have fun with JWT call and ask how to use the A'pexi AFC to lean out their rich fuel maps..

Old 10-23-2002, 01:16 PM

dam guys

SSF detectives juss paid me a visit, they said im stripping cars and dumping them on the street. and they said they can charge me for like 30 different counts rite now. They said they know im stripping cars in my garage, even if im not, im lookin the other way and letting people use my garage for that. I have to bring in my car tomorrow to have them run the VIN on the car and on the motor. FOCCCK
Old 10-23-2002, 01:18 PM

i know he's kiddin Cheston...i dont care

yea they HATE the AFC, i had one and they were clownin on that too.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

dam guys

SSF detectives juss paid me a visit, they said im stripping cars and dumping them on the street. and they said they can charge me for like 30 different counts rite now. They said they know im stripping cars in my garage, even if im not, im lookin the other way and letting people use my garage for that. I have to bring in my car tomorrow to have them run the VIN on the car and on the motor. FOCCCK
When it rans, it pours.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:21 PM
mb1

dam guys

Old 10-23-2002, 01:21 PM

dam guys

You dont have to do anything but, GET A BOTTOM FEEDER.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
BTW, to whoever said JWT couldn't build a turbo Maxima, they've already built 3.
Yeah, one offs that didn't put down **** for numbers. Ask Cattman.

If so, where are the kits? That's right there are none, unless you've got $10-$15K to pay for a $4-$5K CUSTOM setup.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:24 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

holycow.

SFPD?!

what you gonna do? tell them your just a hobbiest.
and that why would you be stupid if you were running a chop shop and leave everything out in the open?

stupid fuzz.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Administrator

so they fck over Turtle Max and they blew L*****'s engine.. hmm.. now i am thinking twice about sending htem my ECU
Old 10-23-2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Yeah, one offs that didn't put down **** for numbers. Ask Cattman.

If so, where are the kits? That's right there are none, unless you've got $10-$15K to pay for a $4-$5K CUSTOM setup.
Don't roll your eyes. Maybe if you were here a long *** time ago you would know that when Stillen first showed their S/Cer kits, an older gentlemen brought by a black turbo 3rd gen built by JWT. Long story short, the 3rd gen made more than Stillens S/C'd Max's and in normal Stillen fashion(Ask Cattman, haha) proceeded to kick him out.

Roll that, fine sir.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:34 PM

i shouldnt even worry about my car rite now. friggin cops say i should get a lawyer and everything.

Quick Reply: Detonation above 9psi, visited JWT also (its LONG)