General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Disassembling Vortech SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Disassembling Vortech SC

My Vortech V1 blower is sitting at home and I have this irresistable urge to take it apart. Has anybody here done such a thing? I'm wondering if it requires special tooling. If I can take it apart myself, then I can replace bearings and seals whenever it needs it.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:30 PM

Re: Disassembling Vortech SC

Originally posted by Stephen Max
My Vortech S-1 blower is sitting at home and I have this irresistable urge to take it apart. Has anybody here done such a thing? I'm wondering if it requires special tooling. If I can take it apart myself, then I can replace bearings and seals whenever it needs it.
your a braver man than me, and I installed my own Quaiffe differential...

Sheesh...

If you do open it, take lots of pics...
Old 11-01-2002, 01:53 PM

Too risky. What if something goes wrong, then what? I strongly advise against it. Even the most knowledgeable guys here probably wouldn't do it themselves.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:03 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

its' actually not that bad. the seals in the blower are actually ones you can get from a mom/pop store for about $1.00

VBXmaxima actually took apart his V2 to repair a seal along the inside shaft.

you must be careful not to mis balance your gearing/turbine shaft, otherwise you risk a high-speed wobble that will undoubtedly destroy your blower.

Originally posted by Cumalot
Too risky. What if something goes wrong, then what? I strongly advise against it. Even the most knowledgeable guys here probably wouldn't do it themselves.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:38 PM

I am just wondering, why r u taking them apart? for rebuild? If so, have you or anybody tried superchargeronline.com? they also do blower rebuild but I havent heard anything about their quality. They are cheaper and have better warranty than vortech. Also they claimed that they are vortech certified repair shop.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: Disassembling Vortech SC

Originally posted by delio
I would love to see what the inards of a SC are like.

SuDZ
Old 11-01-2002, 02:59 PM

Re: Re: Disassembling Vortech SC

Originally posted by delio

your a braver man than me, and I installed my own Quaiffe differential...

Sheesh...

I don't know if I'm braver, but I'm a mechanical engineer, and engineers think they can do anything. I have to admit that attitude has gotten me into trouble at times, but you end up learning a lot. If I do it I'll take pictures.

Oh, btw, I said S-1 when I meant V1. Don't know why, maybe I was thinking S-trim.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:06 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

im an engineer too. but there are some things i dont poke a stick at... unless i have the right tools.

be brave.

Old 11-01-2002, 07:31 PM

I just got mine back from Vortech but I would never dare taking it apart cause I wouldnt know what to do with it apart. They "claimed" they changed the seals and bearings inside the unit. Is your blower still warrantied? If not how much would Vortech charge you to replace the seals and bearings?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by nymjayjay
I just got mine back from Vortech but I would never dare taking it apart cause I wouldnt know what to do with it apart. They "claimed" they changed the seals and bearings inside the unit. Is your blower still warrantied? If not how much would Vortech charge you to replace the seals and bearings?

I bought the kit used, two years old, so it's out of warranty. Vortech wants around $400-500 for a rebuild. Right now the bearings feel good and tight and the seals look good, so I'm just going to leave it alone until a problem develops. I'm very curious about how these things are built, though, and what it would take in the way of tools to rebuild them.