General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to Fix Clanging B Pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 11:04 PM

Hey guys, I figured out what was wrong with my car, it's my new Stillen B pipe clanging around underneath my car. Thanks to all who helped me diagnose this problem.

What can I do to help reduce the noise and clanging? I'm taking it back to Meineke tomorrow, what should I tell them to do to help stop the clanging? I remember someone else had this problem too...any help would be appreciated...I drove some friends around today, and my car sounded like a 1978 Ford...LOL
Old 12-26-2000, 11:19 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Originally posted by MaxRod33
Hey guys, I figured out what was wrong with my car, it's my new Stillen B pipe clanging around underneath my car. Thanks to all who helped me diagnose this problem.
I had the same problem. My b-pipe was 1"-2" too long. Because it was too long, the position of the whole damn catback was off. One way you could tell if the b-pipe is off is by looking at the rubber hangers. Are the rubber hangers drop straight down? or Are they strech towards the back or to a side? My b-pipe was hitting the side of the frame where it goes over the rear axle. Solution: I had to pay $90 to have a shop cut and weld the pipe back. Somebody should tell Stillen to stop their tooling and measure the damn thing again. The b-pipe they are making is off.
Old 12-26-2000, 11:28 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I think you should call Stillen and complain. I didn't because I did the install myself. They always blame the self installer. I tried but they just told me to adjust it. Adjust what!!!! I just gave up. Since you got it installed professionally, call Stillen to send you a new one. Make stillen pay for the labor too. Or have them reimburse you some money to get it fix. You can get it fix at CDE motorsports in Fairfax. They will shorten it for you for around $90. Get Stillen to flip the bill. I wouldn't buy Stillen b-pipe. Since Apexi has a new catbacl exhaust, I think that should be the first choice for anyone looking for a catback. Follow by Greedy. I put Stillen last.
Old 12-26-2000, 11:48 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

my pipe hit the body of the car and made lots of clanging noises. However mines wasnt too long like 1MAX2NV is describing. i welded a bracket on the piping and bolted it to the body of the car and it kept it from rattling. Dunno if this helps...later
Old 12-27-2000, 04:44 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

The first thing they will do is shake the pipe

to identify where the pipe is banging. They will probably put it up on the lift to check for scuff marks to confirm. The solution is dependant on where the pipe is making contact. It might just be a heat shield that needs to be bent. Just make sure it's not banging on your gas tank.

Originally posted by MaxRod33

What can I do to help reduce the noise and clanging? I'm taking it back to Meineke tomorrow, what should I tell them to do to help stop the clanging? I remember someone else had this problem too...any help would be appreciated...I drove some friends around today, and my car sounded like a 1978 Ford...LOL
Old 12-27-2000, 09:09 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My Courtesy B-pipe hit on my heat shield surrounding the gas tank because the extension pipe (between the cat and B-pipe) I had fabricated was a little too long. The problem was easily resolved by removing the heat shield of the gas tank. The pipe has about 3/4" gap between the tank and B-pipe now and even on a full "shake" the pipe doesn't come remotely close to touching the tank.

My experience is that all our exhaust work really starts to throw everything off because none of the companies have the exact measuremnets like Nissan does.

Dave
Old 12-27-2000, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
My experience is that all our exhaust work really starts to throw everything off because none of the companies have the exact measuremnets like Nissan does.

Dave
Good point, Dave. By the time someome purchases a B-pipe that doesn't quite fit, pays to have it installed the first time, and pays to have it re-fitted, they could probably have purchased a complete, mandrel-bent cat-back system custom made for their vehicle. Go figure.
Old 12-27-2000, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
My Courtesy B-pipe hit on my heat shield surrounding the gas tank because the extension pipe (between the cat and B-pipe) I had fabricated was a little too long. The problem was easily resolved by removing the heat shield of the gas tank. The pipe has about 3/4" gap between the tank and B-pipe now and even on a full "shake" the pipe doesn't come remotely close to touching the tank.

Dave
I had the same problem, I just pulled down on the pipe with a crow bar to align it, them while holding the crow bar I tightend the bolts on the B-pipe. It is a pain in the ars, but it dosent rattle any more.