General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Now contemplating an auto.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 04:42 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

Now contemplating an auto.....

After hearing about blubyu2k2's amazing times with only an intake and udp, i'm re-considering an auto.

I drive in mostly traffic, and am trying to spare myself irritation.
I will have another car that's a manual, but do you guys think that in trafficky situations i should consider an auto or forget it?
Old 11-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Now contemplating an auto.....

If your daily commute involves a lot of stop and go rush hour traffic, I would definitely consider auto. Of course, if you can afford to have two cars, I'd make one your daily beater (auto) and one for your "project" car to have fun with...
Old 11-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't forget blubyu2k2 has slicks as well. And yes autos are plenty of fun, especially around corners where you don't have to worry about reaching for the shift ****. Then again, 5spds will almost always have the edge in straight-line performance.

Since you drive mostly in traffic, maybe an auto is worth it, seeing as though you have a 5spd already and seem not to enjoy it in traffic.
-Cyrus
Old 11-10-2002, 04:58 PM

I have a 96 SE auto thats supercharged and I dyno'd it yesterday and pushed 235WHP, 262 engine HP @6500 RPM's
Old 11-10-2002, 05:01 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by nymjayjay
I have a 96 SE auto thats supercharged and I dyno'd it yesterday and pushed 235WHP, 262 engine HP @6500 RPM's
nice #'s
Old 11-10-2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

nice #'s

thanks, I am posting the slip tomorrow when I scan it,
Old 11-10-2002, 05:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i like the idea of having a DD auto and non DD stick
Old 11-10-2002, 06:44 PM

ya i have a 2k auto right now but next summer im planning on getting a 4th gen 5 speed to mess around with maybe get some boost up in than ****. hehe.. so then i will have 2 babys both maximas, my favorite!!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:46 PM

Oh, will you guys quit it with the "sticks suck in traffic". They just don't!

For once and for all bad stick drivers suck in traffic. You don't have to stick to the guy's butt in front of you. Don't give me none of this "oh, (insert your town here) is really bad, they always cut you off." Who cares if they do.

Learn to play "elastic band" "Yo-yo" or whatever you want to call it and you are sitting pretty. You don't have to stick to the *** of the guy in front.

Even if "your" spot gets taken who cares, it costs you all of what, 5 seconds?

I actually prefer my manual in traffic. I am on the brakes alot less often and the ride is alot more fluid.

People, just don't believe it, sticks are fine in traffic!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:02 PM

I want stick and i drive in traffic. Its a good trade off anyways. Because then we you can actually go fast you will have stick. Who uses their 235fwhp in traffic?
Old 11-10-2002, 07:12 PM

Get the 5spd manual, no contest IMO. I have a SCed auto 4th gen. While the power is good, I still wish it's a 5spd. For one thing, I would definitely be in the 13s already if I had a 5spd!
Old 11-10-2002, 07:29 PM

get the stick, there is a big difference in auto and manual maxima's. i have an auto, and got it cuz i got a good deal on the car, but once spring is here and IL. is done seeing snow, here i come 5speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 09:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Autos are the bomb ... especially mine!
Old 11-10-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Aaron92SE
Autos are the bomb ... especially mine!

the bomb or........................... a bomb

j/p
Old 11-10-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by nymjayjay
I have a 1997 GXE Auto with SC, andI'm pushing 277whp!

(Technically, with 25% loss, that's 370 at the crank)

Old 11-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bert

For once and for all bad stick drivers suck in traffic. You don't have to stick to the guy's butt in front of you. Don't give me none of this "oh, (insert your town here) is really bad, they always cut you off." Who cares if they do.

Learn to play "elastic band" "Yo-yo" or whatever you want to call it and you are sitting pretty. You don't have to stick to the *** of the guy in front.

I actually prefer my manual in traffic. I am on the brakes alot less often and the ride is alot more fluid.

w3rd. I drive in sh!tty LA traffic on the damn 10/405 for over an hour each way every day with my stickshift and it doesn't bother me one bit. I think the movements keep me more alert too.

I disagree with losing the 5 seconds or whatever. I will gun it when I find a break every time. Time loss in traffic is exponential and it adds up quickly. And yes my stick helps me get into tight spots especially when slow people intentially accelerate that one moment to try preventing you from getting infront of them Damn Corolla drivers
Old 11-10-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by iansw

I have a 1997 GXE Auto with SC, andI'm pushing 277whp!

(Technically, with 25% loss, that's 370 at the crank)

i want a mevi
Old 11-10-2002, 09:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

w3rd. I drive in sh!tty LA traffic on the damn 10/405 for over an hour each way every day with my stickshift and it doesn't bother me one bit. I think the movements keep me more alert too.

I disagree with losing the 5 seconds or whatever. I will gun it when I find a break every time. Time loss in traffic is exponential and it adds up quickly. And yes my stick helps me get into tight spots especially when slow people intentially accelerate that one moment to try preventing you from getting infront of them Damn Corolla drivers
YES, the stick keeps u more alert in traffic. I've driven stop/go traffic almost every day and eventually you get used to it! After a while, it'd just be normal... i just keep a nice distance between cars, stick it in 1st gear and creep at 500-700 RPM.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:18 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by nadir_s
I've driven stop/go traffic almost every day and eventually you get used to it
Yes, you do get used to it. I drove my friends 5spd while my car was down for 2 weeks. And when I got back in my car after 2 weeks, I push my clutch down and start.... oh wait... I have an automatic. lol After a while, a 5spd just becomes second nature.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:28 PM

I agree. I was caught up in some really heavy San Francisco traffic this weekend. Driving stick keeps you a lot more alert. When I had an auto, I would be more likely to daydream and drift and it would lead to those scary sudden brake moments.

It's funny when I got into my auto this weekend, I thought I had a clutch and my left foot hit air and then the floorboard, haha.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Now contemplating an auto.....

Originally posted by LeX
After hearing about blubyu2k2's amazing times with only an intake and udp, i'm re-considering an auto.
Not to knock blubyu2k2's times, but you've got to realize the auto you get will most likely not be running 13s with an intake and UDP. Look at what most other 2k2 auto guys are running and you'll see that blubyu2k2's times are extremely rare. Most other 2k2 autos are running consistent 14.7-14.8s@93mph. There are only two 2k2 autos I can think of running 14.6 or better. I've driven a couple 2k2 autos and they feel very strong, but after 70mph they don't have the legs of a manual. Just something to consider. BTW, I thought the auto drove very nicely. Too bad Nissan doesn't use a 5 speed auto because that tranny would make 2k2 auto have some legs on the highway.

Dave
Old 11-10-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Now contemplating an auto.....

Originally posted by Dave B

Not to knock blubyu2k2's times, but you've got to realize the auto you get will most likely not be running 13s with an intake and UDP. Look at what most other 2k2 auto guys are running and you'll see that blubyu2k2's times are extremely rare. Most other 2k2 autos are running consistent 14.7-14.8s@93mph. There are only two 2k2 autos I can think of running 14.6 or better. I've driven a couple 2k2 autos and they feel very strong, but after 70mph they don't have the legs of a manual. Just something to consider. BTW, I thought the auto drove very nicely. Too bad Nissan doesn't use a 5 speed auto because that tranny would make 2k2 auto have some legs on the highway.

Dave
Everyone seems to forget that he is running slicks!
-Cyrus
Old 11-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Now contemplating an auto.....

Originally posted by Vyrus

Everyone seems to forget that he is running slicks!
-Cyrus
Even without slicks he's still the quickest and fastest auto in the Org. He's run 14.3@96mph without the slicks which is about .4-.5 quicker and 3mph faster than most of the other 2k2 autos in the Org.

Dave
Old 11-10-2002, 11:05 PM
Custom User Title...

haha fighting over stick vs. auto...

to each his own.

do we need to talk about don's times? anyone with 5 speed match those yet?

5 speed owns but auto aint too shabby...it's all in preference.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:01 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Re: Now contemplating an auto.....

Originally posted by Dave B

Even without slicks he's still the quickest and fastest auto in the Org. He's run 14.3@96mph without the slicks which is about .4-.5 quicker and 3mph faster than most of the other 2k2 autos in the Org.

Dave
thanks Dave for the props and my bad if I took your statement the wrong way in the other thread. I believe both our cars are freaks from both our times.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Amen..

i have no problem driving stick in traffic.. i find it easier than an auto.. i an let hte car roll without pressing the brake.. and for light moderate traffic.. put it the A/C on and put it in gear and let it coast at 5 mph

Old 11-11-2002, 04:25 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

everytime i get weary of my 5spd i just bang the hell out of 2nd and im a happy camper again.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:56 AM

You said it bert. Another thing barely mentioned in the stick vs auto thing, the VQ motor is very flexible. In the 5 speed you can engage a gear as low as 500 rpms without stalling. The low end torque is fat enough that you really don't need to always be changes gears in heavy traffic. Just keeping it in 1st and/or second will be fine while you're stuck in stop n go traffic. If you keep it in 2nd gear, you get very minor clutch rubbing engagement from 0 mph, and that gear will take you all the way to 68 mph when the traffic finally decides to open up It is only when you have a torqueless manual tranny car, like the CRX HF I used to own, then, it's murder.

5 speeds all the way, because you always decide what gear the car is in, not the damn tranny! It never knows what you want

DW
Old 11-11-2002, 05:54 PM

YeeeHaaaa! Finally some people who see the light.

Do you see the light?
Do you see the light?
Do you see the light?

The stick!
The stick?
The stick!!
The stick?!
The stick!!!
The stick!?
The stick!!!!
The stick!!!!
The stick!!!!!
The stick!!!!!

Hell, on flats I can idle in 3rd (gotta love that VQ-K!) I usually wind up idling, or at most 1K RPM in second.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Banned

So what your basically saying is that Lex is a bad stick driver??

Don't get me wrong, I DO REGRET not buying a manual at times, but maybe he doesn't see the fun in driving stick in bumper to bumper daily traffic (that is, if what he has to endure)? Like some people have said, it would be nice to have a daily driven auto and have a manual for fun on the weekends. I know a few people who drive autos because of their commute and keep manuals as 2nd cars for the weekends. In another 2 yrs or so, I may look to pick up a 3.5 5-speed Alty just for that.

But then again, to each their own.....
Old 11-11-2002, 06:28 PM

Everyone has bad traffic, NY, LA, DC, Hicksville...

If you can't figure out how to drive a stick in traffic then driving a stick is probably too complicated.

There is no way one can win in traffic, it's a zero gain problem.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:41 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by nismo2020
everytime i get weary of my 5spd i just bang the hell out of 2nd and im a happy camper again.
Me too... except for my statement will be, "everytime i get weary of my auto i just bang the hell out of 2nd and im a happy camper again. "

That's right Foo! lol