General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drivetrain Guru's, please enlighten me

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 09:03 PM

Drivetrain Guru's, please enlighten me

I know that this is going to be the dumbest thing you've heard, but how do I, if possible, go about changing my drivetrain from FWD to RWD? I know I know, retard alert. I'm looking into gettin a 4th gen maxima, but I was wondering on how the drivetrain would work? Can I use the rear assembly from a 300zx, 240sx or even a skyline to help me achieve whip-happiness? Please enlighten me on the way drivetrains work. Thanks and please don't flame too hard on me.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Ramius83

I wouldn't know the exact process, but I will be the first to say it:

"With money, anything is possible."

It would require turning the engine, getting a RWD tranny, cutting into the body for the drive shaft, rear differential with axles, new rear and front suspension, etc etc etc....That is a small list.

Old 11-10-2002, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We're talking about major modifications. Im not saying it cant be done, but with MONSTER GARAGE style mods, it can be done.

Dixit
Old 11-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Old Timer

Re: Drivetrain Guru's, please enlighten me

Originally posted by Knightmare69
I know that this is going to be the dumbest thing you've heard, but how do I, if possible, go about changing my drivetrain from FWD to RWD? I know I know, retard alert. I'm looking into gettin a 4th gen maxima, but I was wondering on how the drivetrain would work? Can I use the rear assembly from a 300zx, 240sx or even a skyline to help me achieve whip-happiness? Please enlighten me on the way drivetrains work. Thanks and please don't flame too hard on me.
One would assume that the hardest parts to overcome would be properly remounting the motor to sit lengthwise in the engine bay, finding a suitable tranny, and making room along the underneath of the max to run a driveshaft.

The unibody design, it would seem, would make this very difficult. I don't believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that there is enough room to mount a transmision lengthwise behind a 90 degree turned motor in a maxima. I would think you'd have to do major cutting along the fire wall to gain adequate clearance, and that in return would cause significant structural strangth loss in the frame.

It could be done, but at a great cost.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:05 AM

I think i remember a long time ago on the forum, someone making an AWD maxima. He left the tranny the way it is and ran another axel off of one of the drive axels to the back. I think you spent 3000 on this mod and i dont remember if he got it to work right.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:06 PM

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking about the engine today because I realized that the engine was mounted horizontally rather than vertically. LOL, what a doof Oh well, I guess, if I get a FWD, I better work on my launches.It would be amusing to see a SR20 engine and tranny in a maxima though. I wonder how that combo would work? Thanks again for all the info. Now, If I end up with a maxima, how are my options for FI? For my Bimmer, Stage 1 was 8-10g's. What are the prices of FI kits for Maxs? and what about stuff like differentials for better acceleration? I doubt that there are any reliable chips also for ECU management(Is that true?) So many questions, so little money.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:45 AM

Look at the 95-97 Altima and the 240SX. Same motor. One's in RWD format, the other is in FWD format. Take notes.

DW
Old 11-12-2002, 06:10 AM

why would anyone want to throw in a smaller, less powerful engine in??

for F/I, you have the Stillen/Vortech Supercharger which runs about 3.5k, then you have a few turbo setups...Nigel's, which i dont exactly know the price, HLH's, which is about 3500 as well, and then you can always go the custom route.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:36 AM

It's easy

Sell your Maxima, buy a G35.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
It's easy

Sell your Maxima, buy a G35.
I don't have a max,I had a bimmer that I sold. Right now I'm looking for future prospects. Are Infiniti G35's RWD? If not, why are you recommending it? I don't know much about max's let alone infiniti, I know that they're brother sister companies, like Lexus Toyota. Also, I being greedy by wanting a 6-cyl engine as opposed to a 4-cyl as I'm currently also discussing my options with the Honda-Acura crew. Thanks for all the replies and info so far,please keep them coming.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:56 PM

Infiniti, Acura,Lexus, are just marketing upshots. They are Nissan, Honda, and Toyota, respectively. The Japanese carmakers decided to do what the domestics have been doing all along, and they finessed it. In all other parts of the world, Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus don't exist. The Infiniti G35 we have in the US is the Nissan Skyline in Japan.

Anyways, I sinewave hit the nail on the head. The G35 sedan and the 2002-2003 maxima have the same VQ35 motor. The G35 is RWD to the Maxima's FWD. So there you go.

DW

I don't have a max,I had a bimmer that I sold. Right now I'm looking for future prospects. Are Infiniti G35's RWD? If not, why are you recommending it? I don't know much about max's let alone infiniti, I know that they're brother sister companies, like Lexus Toyota. Also, I being greedy by wanting a 6-cyl engine as opposed to a 4-cyl as I'm currently also discussing my options with the Honda-Acura crew. Thanks for all the replies and info so far,please keep them coming.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi

Anyways, I sinewave hit the nail on the head. The G35 sedan and the 2002-2003 maxima have the same VQ35 motor. The G35 is RWD to the Maxima's FWD. So there you go.

DW

I can't afford the new G35, I'm looking into a used 4th Gen Max. What are the factory specs in terms of hp and torque on the 4th Gens? And what are the differences in the models, I'm pretty set on a SE model but is there a huge difference in each of them? Also, what about engine swaps? Are Max's able toswap engines? Can I swap in a 5th gen engine into a 4th Gen? Are the hp differences far apart? I'm pretty sure that the 5th gen is 225 or c\v 255, I forgot. Thanks again for any info.

P.S.-Regarding a 4th gen, with a turbo setup, what kind of power can I expect to push out and with the internals, what comapnies make upgraded parts for FI? I want to try to hit close 300hp on the Max if possible. I was also opting for an Integra, but the people over at Honda-Acura say that it would be too much of a pita to do.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:07 AM

I'll answer some of the questions for you, but I encourage you to use search on this forum. You'll find a wealth of info here.
All the 1995-1999 Maximas, whether they be a GXE,SE or GLE, have the same exact motor, a VQ30DE. The SE is the most unique, with body color door handles and grille, white face gauges, foglights standard.

Put a 5th gen motor into a 4th gen?? No need. Look up threads for MEVI, VIM, variable intake manifold etc in the 4th gen forum.

There are two 5th gens, the 225 hp is the 1st one.

As for turbo, look at posts from Turbo97SE.

Start searching

DW

I can't afford the new G35, I'm looking into a used 4th Gen Max. What are the factory specs in terms of hp and torque on the 4th Gens? And what are the differences in the models, I'm pretty set on a SE model but is there a huge difference in each of them? Also, what about engine swaps? Are Max's able toswap engines? Can I swap in a 5th gen engine into a 4th Gen? Are the hp differences far apart? I'm pretty sure that the 5th gen is 225 or c\v 255, I forgot. Thanks again for any info.

P.S.-Regarding a 4th gen, with a turbo setup, what kind of power can I expect to push out and with the internals, what comapnies make upgraded parts for FI? I want to try to hit close 300hp on the Max if possible. I was also opting for an Integra, but the people over at Honda-Acura say that it would be too much of a pita to do.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the info.