General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to soften Eibach/Koni ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 06:30 PM
Conecarver

Just got my Koni sports and I can't stand the bumps and shakes. Just the little cracks, tarstrips, etc. - I'm not talking potholes or speedbumps. I'm gonna break my back or bust my a**

The Eibach Pro's and stock struts were fine - even with the rear sway bar. I've got the Koni's set full soft in the front and 1 full turn from soft in the rear. Should I

a) set the Koni rears to full soft (is that my only prob?)
b) consider switching out the springs for H&R or something softer
c) wait for the Koni's to soften up after xxx miles

Who else has Eibach/Koni's? and what's the deal?

(As I'm writing I'm wondering if my shop set my rears to full firm by mistake)

Old 12-27-2000, 06:43 PM
The missing moderator

Had you wanted comfort, you should have gotton some GR2s or Tokicos. Konis and Eibachs are going to be hard. You can't just soften the shocks... it will cause it to underdampen nd you will bounce all over the round. Konis won't soften over time, not very much anyways. And sway bars have no effect on ride comfort.

The combination you got is for all out sport, pretty much. It's all personal preference, but I like my ride stiff. I have a 2100lb car with 400lb springs up front and 300lbs in the back.

-Shing

Originally posted by BEJAY1
Just got my Koni sports and I can't stand the bumps and shakes. Just the little cracks, tarstrips, etc. - I'm not talking potholes or speedbumps. I'm gonna break my back or bust my a**

The Eibach Pro's and stock struts were fine - even with the rear sway bar. I've got the Koni's set full soft in the front and 1 full turn from soft in the rear. Should I

a) set the Koni rears to full soft (is that my only prob?)
b) consider switching out the springs for H&R or something softer
c) wait for the Koni's to soften up after xxx miles

Who else has Eibach/Koni's? and what's the deal?

(As I'm writing I'm wondering if my shop set my rears to full firm by mistake)

Old 12-27-2000, 07:13 PM

...soften eibach/koni ride

Aloha BeJay1,

You can check the rears to see what setting they're at, but you'd need to take them out of the car.

As for the struts softening after xxx miles, they won't. At least that's what I was told.

I was going to try the H&R sets, but I got stock SE springs instead......wait a minute...they're from you 8- )

I like the stock springs w/ the koni sports. Stiff, but confortable enough. Only thing is it looks like I can go off roading bc the car is so high (had progress drop springs).

I hope that the rears are set on stiff, creating a kinda off-balance ride (b/c front soft, back firm), and so upon correction to soft to match fronts, ride will improve.

Sorry, can't offer remedies, just comments.
Old 12-27-2000, 11:52 PM

hey bejay

check your e-mail. thanks.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:48 AM

If you can get a set, for a try out, put on some 15" wheels with 205/65 or 215/60 tires. With 15" wheels the tire pressure is 29 lbs. The wheel assy is also much lighter, and lower unsprung weight = better ride.
Old 12-28-2000, 06:37 AM
Conecarver

Brubenstein - 15" was a good idea but I'm already running 206/65 soft snow tires already. And that's what's giving me the tough ride (I can't image my 235/45/17's)

Shingles - I had fears about the Tokicos wearing out fast based upon what many have said. I mentioned the rear sway because that does change the ride by locking both rear wheels together (speed bumps for instance). I really don't want to sell my new Koni's

Old 12-28-2000, 07:29 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by BEJAY1
Brubenstein - 15" was a good idea but I'm already running 206/65 soft snow tires already. And that's what's giving me the tough ride (I can't image my 235/45/17's)

Shingles - I had fears about the Tokicos wearing out fast based upon what many have said. I mentioned the rear sway because that does change the ride by locking both rear wheels together (speed bumps for instance). I really don't want to sell my new Koni's

The RSB will not affect your day to day driving at all. Ofcourse when you go over speed bumps it effects it, but I didn't consider that since i go over speed bumps maybe 3 times a day out of the 40 miles I drive.

BTW since we have a rear beam, in all honesty with or without RSB the ride over speed bumps is the same, remember we are a rear log suspention not IRS.

-Shing
Old 12-28-2000, 08:18 AM

RSB only effects differential wheel movement (one wheel hitting a bump, or in a turn: lean). If both wheel hit a speed bump at the same time the RSB has no effect; aside from adding to unsprung weight, which you may be feeling.
Since you already have the small wheels, it sounds like you're SOL. I think people who comment on ride quality should also note their age and location. What feels good to an 18 year old in FL, can suck to us old farts in NYC.
Old 12-28-2000, 08:22 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by brubenstein
RSB only effects differential wheel movement (one wheel hitting a bump, or in a turn: lean). If both wheel hit a speed bump at the same time the RSB has no effect; aside from adding to unsprung weight, which you may be feeling.
Since you already have the small wheels, it sounds like you're SOL. I think people who comment on ride quality should also note their age and location. What feels good to an 18 year old in FL, can suck to us old farts in NYC.
That is the truth... I drove up NYC two years ago... H&Rs, brand new Tokicos, 17" with 235/45-17...

not a good feeling... actually I was worried for my rims mroe than anything else!

-Shing
Old 12-28-2000, 09:10 AM

Duh! I just realized you said snow tires. If it's cold enough to worry about snow, then it's cold enough for the fluid in the struts to thicken up and give a harsh ride. By the time spring comes, the temp will be over 50, the seals in the struts will have bedded in and the ride should be better.
Old 12-28-2000, 06:12 PM
Conecarver

Thick strut fluid? New seals? Now maybe we're on to something. When I first start up it's horrible, couple minutes later a bit better but very harsh.

Temps in Chicago have been like below freezing for weeks - single digit days too. I never thought about inside the strut. Oil and other fluids get's thick - why wouldn't a strut.

I'll check with Koni too. Lee there has an I30 and was a big help. I'll check the rear settings tomorrow too.

Anybody make a strut warmer?