General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Yet another Mazda 6 thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 11:10 PM

Yet another Mazda 6 thread...

It's 2am, and I just took a study break and drove over to the Mazda lot to check out the new Mazda 6.

It's bangin...I feel like a married man thinking about cheating. You know, that feeling that what you got maybe wasn't everything that you'd wanted.

For 21K, V6, standard ABS, a suspension that handles out of the box, 17" wheels and a body kit; all the schmit that I would wanted out of my max when I started moddifying it. Where was this car two years ago when I actually had vehicular options?

I'm not complaining...I know that I have all the amenities that I need, but the grass always seems greener...

RL
Old 11-18-2002, 11:21 PM

Re: Yet another Mazda 6 thread...

Originally posted by Vesaijan
It's 2am, and I just took a study break and drove over to the Mazda lot to check out the new Mazda 6.

It's bangin...I feel like a married man thinking about cheating. You know, that feeling that what you got maybe wasn't everything that you'd wanted.

For 21K, V6, standard ABS, a suspension that handles out of the box, 17" wheels and a body kit; all the schmit that I would wanted out of my max when I started moddifying it. Where was this car two years ago when I actually had vehicular options?

I'm not complaining...I know that I have all the amenities that I need, but the grass always seems greener...

RL

Word to the wise, it is a ford. Think of the taurus, your bad thoughts will go away then.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:23 PM

BTW, it is slow as *****....just like a taurus, but with euro tail lights
Old 11-18-2002, 11:26 PM

US version doesnt have altezzas
Old 11-18-2002, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
US version doesnt have altezzas

Oh well, I saw early pics of it. I t is still a ford, and it still moves like molasses.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:33 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by KINGMAX

Oh well, I saw early pics of it. I t is still a ford, and it still moves like molasses.
a 3.5 altima owner test drove one and said it's pretty potent, though still not as ballsy as a 3.5 vq.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by MaximaZero

a 3.5 altima owner test drove one and said it's pretty potent, though still not as ballsy as a 3.5 vq.

A 4th gen or a VE 3rd gen would own the Mazda 6. You guys do not understand, it is a ford taurus.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

man those ford taurus comments are ignorant...

the mazda 6 will out handle, outrun, and looks a lot better than any taurus. I'm sure that its reliability will be on par with other mazdas such as the protege. I'm sure it will give our maximas a good run. If that thing comes in a v6 manual option, I would gladly trade my maxima.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by spiff56747

the mazda 6 will out handle, outrun, and looks a lot better than any taurus. I'm sure that its reliability will be on par with other mazdas such as the protege. I'm sure it will give our maximas a good run. If that thing comes in a v6 manual option, I would gladly trade my maxima.

Look dude in case you havn't noticed Ford bought Mazda. I have seen the numbers on the new 6's, and they are garbage(I will post the numbers when I get to work today). We are talking mid 16's in the 1/4(I will get the slalom when I get to work). Your post is malinformed...you have been talking too much to the Mazda salesman, 'cause he is blowing sunshine up your a$$.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:57 AM

Btw, Mazda's used to be good cars until Ford got their grubby little hands on them(check my profile, I am not biased).
Old 11-19-2002, 03:07 AM

wow u think its news that ford bought mazda? you think when they bought them, they immediately said, lets install all our crappy ford parts into mazdas?

just because of some big corporate merger, doesn't mean mazda is down the tubes. check the reviews of the mazda protege, is the best compact 4 door sedan out there. I'm sure the mazda 6 wont be much worse.

also, 1/4 mile times arent all that matter, the mazda 6 looks good, and handles well, and has decent power from the v6 engine.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:34 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Ok, car and driver tested the Mazda 6s this month. 0-60 in 6.8 sec and the 1/4 in 15.4 isnt that bad...

Here's my review I posted in the OT forum:

Originally posted by mzmtg
"I test drove a Mazda 6i the other day. This was a base 4-cylinder model with an Automatic trans.

Very nice car.

The interior is much nicer than the Altima, both in design and construction. Lots of good storage space and thoughtful features.

Exterior, draw your own conclusions, but I like it a lot too.

The ride and handling are great. This thing truly is a 4 door sports car. The suspension is the same across all models, regardless of engine. It is very firm and well controlled. It's never harsh, but you definitely feel "connected" to the road.

The 4-cylinder, while rated at 160hp, is just weak with the auto trans. The transmission has a manual shifting gate like many new cars and like many new cars, it's a joke. It doesnt shift any more firmly or quickly when you hit the lever compared to when you leave it alone. The only advantage I could see is the ability to start in second gear, which is helpful in the snow.

I cannot wait to try the 220hp 6-cylinder (they call this one the Mazda 6s) with a manual transmission.

I definitely like this car a lot.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the brakes on the 6 absolutely kick a$$."

Old 11-19-2002, 03:55 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Look dude in case you havn't noticed Ford bought Mazda. I have seen the numbers on the new 6's, and they are garbage(I will post the numbers when I get to work today). We are talking mid 16's in the 1/4(I will get the slalom when I get to work). Your post is malinformed...you have been talking too much to the Mazda salesman, 'cause he is blowing sunshine up your a$$.
The 6 has NOTHING in common with a Taurus. Read the Car and Driver Road Test and tell me those numbers are slow as molasses. Tell me that it's just a Taurus...

I drove one of them, and I say The Mazda 6 is more of a 4 door sports car than the Maxima has ever been!

There, I said it.

If you havent driven one, then shut up.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:49 AM

Wow angst. I like Mazdas...well the ones that still have good designs. I think the millenium and the 626 have gone the way of boring. Case in point: miata. Ford may own Mazda now, but I think Mazda is retaining their own design and engineering ideas. It's just a holding within FMC. If reliability suddenly goes down on mazda's, then you know Ford has gotten their hands in the pot.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:40 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Ok, car and driver tested the Mazda 6s this month. 0-60 in 6.8 sec and the 1/4 in 15.4 isnt that bad...

Here's my review I posted in the OT forum:

I know since kev took over every one wants to go OT crazy.. but this is
Old 11-19-2002, 05:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All you people saying it's just a Ford:

Well, if that's the case, then we all drive Renaults - some of the crappiest cars on the planet. Ford also owns Jaguar - you saying the same thing about the latest Jags?

I've owned a Mazda 626, 929 and a Protege. My Dad owned a 323. They were all excellent cars - much, much better than any Ford I've ever owned. My only complaint is that OEM parts for Mazdas are priced considerably higher than other Japanese imports.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:15 AM

Has anyone seen the commercial...

There's two(maybe more) commercials for the Mazda 6 now. One has a tachometer, and the needle stays on 6.
The one that got me was the Mazda 6 drifting through the dirt, kicking up dust, and making a 6 in the dust. Making the 6 was cool, but the sliding though the dirt was such a ripoff of Nissan.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 AM

The 6 has NOTHING in common with a Taurus. Read the Car and Driver Road Test and tell me those numbers are slow as molasses. Tell me that it's just a Taurus...

I drove one of them, and I say The Mazda 6 is more of a 4 door sports car than the Maxima has ever been!

There, I said it.

If you havent driven one, then shut up.
All I have to say is ditto. The numbers are close to par with the stock VQ30's.

And in terms of Mazda being owned by Ford...Are you guys going to say the same thing about the RX-8 when it comes out in December? In fact
I can hear the comments now..."Oh it doesn't have as much torque as the VQ...Oh it's just a Ford with rotary engine..."

Remember, Mazda is owned by Ford in terms of share holding, but that does not mean they share the same engineers. Do you really believe that Japanese engineers would take something without trying and making it better, especially when they have an image to uphold? And Ford has improved in build quality in recent years.

I appreciate that you guys trying to bolster my faith. But the fact of the matter is that if you want to detract, then you should at least educate youself first. This is a Maxima enthusiast site, but I think most of all its a "car guy's" (and girls too of course) site. So, while the Maxima is a "great car", there is a lot out there and new stuff in the mix. It's like we can't even discuss something different without there being some form of slander, implying that Maximas are the best car ever.

Some of you guys need to get out a little more, learn to read, and broaden you scope a bit.

RL
Old 11-19-2002, 06:40 AM

Re: Has anyone seen the commercial...

Originally posted by Black VQ
There's two(maybe more) commercials for the Mazda 6 now. One has a tachometer, and the needle stays on 6.
The one that got me was the Mazda 6 drifting through the dirt, kicking up dust, and making a 6 in the dust. Making the 6 was cool, but the sliding though the dirt was such a ripoff of Nissan.
Dude I've seen a commercial for a WRX doing a 4 wheel drift thru dirt. I've also seen a Miata commercial thru dirt. I've also seen a Land Rover commercial thru dirt. So I'm guessing that Nissan is the alpha and the omega in driving cars thru dirt...

JK,
RL
Old 11-19-2002, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by bags533

I know since kev took over every one wants to go OT crazy.. but this is
Is it really off topic if we're discussing differences between the venerable Maxima and another vehicle?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:05 AM

So Mazdas suck because Ford owns them? Allow me to list a few other car companies the Ford owns a large large stake in.

Volvo
Jaguar
Land Rover
oh and some brand called Aston Martin.

Ive had bad experiences with Ford too, but its ignorant to say all Brand associated with Ford also suck.

I dont see any Explorer in any Land Rover, there isn't any Mustang in any Aston Martin, No Crown Vic in a Volvo. Jeez!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The 3.0 V6 in the Mazda 6 is infact a Ford Duratec engine, but that's about the only Ford equipment in it. The 4-cyl is all-Mazda, as is pretty much everything else. Even on the V6, Mazda designed the DOHC 24-valve head for it (even in the Taurus), and even the variable valve timing. Aside from a little deficit in low-end power (not unlike the 00-01 VQ30DE-K's), it looks like the car will pretty much perform like an 00-01 Maxima 5spd.

And YES, the car is available with a V6/5MT combo

0-60 in 6.8s and 1/4 mile in 15.4 @94 is not too shabby at all, and my CarTest simulations have backed those numbers up. And the car will out handle and out break a Maxima too.

If something happens to my Maxima, the new Mazda 6 will be among the top contenders on my replacement car list

But for now I'm sticking with the Maxima
Old 11-19-2002, 07:24 AM
I'm so hood

The 6 looks nice for the price. It actually gets a plus from me on exterior styling, something I can't say for the Max (Max gets neutral overall, 4th and 5th gen). I've been in a couple current-gen protege's and a mid-90s 626 and really like the suspensions, seem very responsive without sacrificing ride quality (moreso on the proteges). I think if they can work that optimal suspension balance into the 6, the fact that it might be a few shades slower than a more-expensive maxima won't stop me from liking it.

Some people think Nissan did everything first I guess.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

All I have to say is ditto. The numbers are close to par with the stock VQ30's.
Those numbers are exactly what C/D got out of the frst 95 %spd they tested...

I have every reason to believe that the 6 will run high 14s in the 1/4 when people start getting them to their local tracks...just like the 4th gen...

Keep in mind that the 6 is not meant to compete with the newest Maximas. It's sticker prices top out around $24k, which puts it against the Altima. There for all arguments about 255hp VQs are moot. However, comparisons to the 240hp VQ and the 240hp Accord are totally reasonable. But, I agree with C/D, the 6 makes up for it's HP deficit by being superior on the road, if not the test track.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:28 AM
I need a truck

This is OT
Old 11-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Originally posted by spiff56747

I agree with what you said here, but we do have to remember that the 6s DOES have Ford's Duratec V6 powerplant.
-Chad
Old 11-19-2002, 07:52 AM

Are you guys going to say the same thing about the RX-8 when it comes out in December?
Well I say now that the RX-8 is FUGLY...

But that 6s looks nice though...and I bet it does handle better then a 'stock' max. As with any car with independent suspension. I drove a galant rental that had better handling/braking then a stock max.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:57 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Raw_Toast
So Mazdas suck because Ford owns them? Allow me to list a few other car companies the Ford owns a large large stake in.

Volvo
Jaguar
Land Rover
oh and some brand called Aston Martin.

Ive had bad experiences with Ford too, but its ignorant to say all Brand associated with Ford also suck.

I dont see any Explorer in any Land Rover, there isn't any Mustang in any Aston Martin, No Crown Vic in a Volvo. Jeez!

Preach on, bro... PREACH ON!!
Old 11-19-2002, 08:04 AM

The new altima 3.5 will kill a 6. End of story
Old 11-19-2002, 08:48 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by maximachad

I agree with what you said here, but we do have to remember that the 6s DOES have Ford's Duratec V6 powerplant.
-Chad
That's like saying the Mustang Cobra has a Crown Vic engine because they are both 4.6 mod motors..

The 6's engine is based on Duratec architecture, but it has all new heads and induction systems.

An Alty 3.5 may be a little faster, but I would much rather have the 6. Horsepower and speed are never the end of the story with sports sedans...
Old 11-19-2002, 09:01 AM

Jeez, sorry guys. Didn't mean to get everybody all riled up.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Jeez, sorry guys. Didn't mean to get everybody all riled up.

Then try to get all the facts before you start ranting...
Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 AM

Then try to get all the facts before you start ranting...

...and I also need to not enter this board after I have had a few, like I said, sorry about that one.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:41 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

...and I also need to not enter this board after I have had a few, like I said, sorry about that one.

Oops...

*wink*wink*
*nudge*nudge*

Say no more...

Old 11-19-2002, 01:23 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Is it really off topic if we're discussing differences between the venerable Maxima and another vehicle?
I was harassing MZMTG
Old 11-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ouch! low blow
Old 11-19-2002, 01:43 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

MaximaZero-Nice sig. Is that a photoshop pic? or actual pic?