General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

So with all these BMW and M3 talking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anybody on this board is seriously thinking about buying one of the new BMW M3 coming out to a dealer near you very SOON? What about getting a used one so you can race all the Maxima guys here to prove whatever? Hey we all know that both cars are in a different kind of classes. Both cars hold their own weight in each class. Yes the Maxima is a nice quick 4dr sedan for the $25K range but it is losing the title best bang for the buck$ with some stiff competitions. BMW 3 series got the market share for the $35K range. It is also a very nice car. We are seeing other car manufacturers getting into the sport sedan market that BMW once dominated. We as consumers should benefit from this. Better and more choices of cars to choose from... nothing wrong with that.

Hey it is good thing for the drivers (former Maxima owners) that move up to a BMW for their next ride. You get what you pay for. The extra $$$$ buys you better handling, luxury, and power. That should always be the case if you pay more for a car right? I hope so unless you are not a smart consumer... hehehe Once you get one then you might not want to spend all the extra $$$$ on mods unless you want to make your car more distinguished from others!! But that is a BUG that most of us got bitten by. It is fun to mod cars no matter what we drive now or later on. We see people modding even Ferrari and Porsches all the time. Why you ask it is just a hobby like what we are doing right now. So no matter what we drive big buck$ car or not we shouldn't be bickering about it. We did buy it? I guess some of us just love that feeling of beating a more expensive or suppose to be better car. I think that is one of the underline reason we always argue about Maxima beating this and that... it is just human nature. All BBS does that from what I have seen.

Okay I am stepping off the soap box now. :P All yours!!

Ken

Old 09-09-2000, 12:41 PM
is invisible

No! No! No!

I REFUSE to believe it!!! jk

btw, Ken, do you still drive your Maxima?
Old 09-09-2000, 02:01 PM

Great post Ken and you are absolutely right, but may I just add two small points here:

1) True, modding is like a bug, even Porsche and Ferrari owners mod their car, nothing is wrong with that. However, 911 owners have the wisdom not to claim he can beat a Viper with few bolt-ons.

2) When one beats a more expensive or supposely better car, I personally don't feel it's any big deal to brag or celebrating about. If I beat a Aston Martin with my MZ3, I know he could have bought 3 MZ3's if he wanted, he just choose not to, he is on an entirely different level. If anyone should feel great about himself, it should be him not me.

So, those are the two differences about some Maxima people. Not a flame, just honest opinion.
Old 09-09-2000, 04:12 PM
is invisible

Naturally...

Originally posted by WoodEar
Great post Ken and you are absolutely right, but may I just add two small points here:

1) True, modding is like a bug, even Porsche and Ferrari owners mod their car, nothing is wrong with that. However, 911 owners have the wisdom not to claim he can beat a Viper with few bolt-ons.
So ALL 911 owners have the wisdom not to claim they can't beat a Viper with a few bolt-ons. And if they do?
Let's scale this *down*...Maxima owners have the wisdom not to claim they can beat an M3 few bolt-ons...Oh wait that's not right...we don't have the wisdom!

[/I][/QUOTE]2) When one beats a more expensive or supposely better car, I personally don't feel it's any big deal to brag or celebrating about. If I beat a Aston Martin with my MZ3, I know he could have bought 3 MZ3's if he wanted, he just choose not to, he is on an entirely different level. If anyone should feel great about himself, it should be him not me.[/I][/QUOTE]

>Well, that's you personally. He should feel great that he has the money to buy 3 MZ3s...I didn't know why money came into play here. Hell, he doesn't even have to race to feel that way. In a drag race, however, the thing to feel good about is winning or losing.

[/I][/QUOTE]So, those are the two differences about some Maxima people. Not a flame, just honest opinion. [/I][/QUOTE]

>I didn't know you could generalize people by their cars. Now perhaps you can do that with level of education..or apparently then how much $$ one makes.
And of course this applies ONLY to Maxima people. We are a special genre, aren't we Woodear(you owned a Maxima once, right? Sure you moved on, like anyone should, but nonetheless you were a Maxima person...and you can never deny that).

I think Ken's post was fine by itself; I wouldn't attach your opinion to Ken's.

[Edited by CoolMax on 09-09-2000 at 06:19 PM]
Old 09-09-2000, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes Yes Yes

To answer the question yes I do still drive my slightly modified Maxima. The Maxima still runs nice for daily commute. But I will be in the market for a new car in the near future. Just want to wait and see what is out there for the upcoming models. So many new cars to choose from and more to come. No rush to buy so I got the advantage to take my time. But sorry to say that the new Nissan Maxima will not be one of my choice. The Maxima served me well for the years that I owned it but looking for something different next time around. Don't worry I still recommend it for people that want a nice sedan in the $25K range. Recently one of my friend bought an Acura TL. The TL has all the luxury items as standard equipment for under $30K makes it a very attractive buy. That's why I said the Nissan Maxima have more stiff competition in the twenty something range. But for better handling and performance in stock form one must say that the European cars have the advantage. In my personal opinion I always rated the cars as follow: 1) European 2) Japanese 3) American. Of course there are some exceptions to it but the majority of manufacturers I have seen is in that order.

Ken