General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need input on Manual transmission fluid (AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Need input on Manual transmission fluid (AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90)

I've used both Redline MT-90 and most recently Amsoil 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGT), both GL-4 gear oil. I did the switch from Redline to Amsoil in late spring/summer so I witheld my opinion until I experienced some colder weather, because I used [edit] REDLINE [/edit]throughout fall and winter.

Well since its colder now I can safely say I prefer Redline MT-90 over Amsoil. When shifting from 1st to second gear during cold morning starts the Redlind is much easier to shift. Plus when the engine/tranny is warm the Redline feels much better than the Amsoil. Redline makes the shifting feel slicker and more precise (less notchy).

I want to use the best gear lube possible. One type I haven't used is the Amsoil Series 2000 SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (TGR), which is supposedly a GL-2 through GL-5 lube. I did a search and iwannabmw mentioned how there are buffers in the Series 2000 that prevents the GL5 properties from eating at the yellow metals, so it is safe for our manual transmissions. I only found a a couple of people who mentioned using this blue-colored Gear lube. Any one have input on the series 2000? Any one switched from Redline MT-90 to Amsoil Series 2000 gear lube and prefer Amsoil? Please give me some input. If possible I want to prevent myself from spending $45 or so on gear lube twice
Old 12-02-2002, 07:31 AM

Come on people. I know there are a bunch of the Series 2000 users out there. No one has any comments for him??
Old 12-02-2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Come on people. I know there are a bunch of the Series 2000 users out there. No one has any comments for him??
I found two on the search and one guy complained how notchy it was on his 2K2 but it wasn't clear whether the fluid was at fault or the tranny problems some 2K2 owners are experiencing. I figured not many would use the series 2000 because its not specific for just GL-4 users. I would appreciate it if someone who has used Redline then switched to series 2000 chime in. Or from someone who used the "regular" Amsoil 80w90 GL-4 to series 2000.

For example I found this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....es+2000+tranny

Sin is using Series2000 but thats exactly what I said about Redline when I made a switch from the factory fill. I am using the search people!

I think switching from either the factory fill or what local dealer claims to be factory gear lube (what they sell is most likely distributed by the local oil company and not "Nissan" gear lube) would be a huge improvement in terms of shift quality, but having experienced two different synthetic gear lubes there is quite a difference between them.

I would like to see if someone else has used multiple brands. If not then I guess I'll just go ahead and take the dive and try the series 2000 gear lube myself.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:54 PM

I know of several people on this forum who use Series 2000 in their 5 speed, and a few in the 6 speed. By far, the 5 speed people have reported better results than the 6 speed people.

Since no one else feels like chiming in here, I'll throw some more information at you, though I think I may not exactly be the source you're looking for.

I'm not surprised that the Redline felt better for you than the Amsoil 80W-90. Redline's manual transmission lubes were designed to promote maximum performance, whether that is easier shifting in the cold or outright power delivery. Amsoil tends to focus on wear protection at operating temperature, shift feel is a secondary consideration.

Below are some numbers for Redline, Mobil 1 and Amsoil gear lubes. What's interesting is the flow characteristics in the cold, (Redline clearly takes the lead) and the operating temperature viscosity when warm (Amsoil is thicker here)

Viscosity @ -40C/40C/100C

Redline MT-90, 75W-90...32,000 Cp, 89.2 Cst, 14.7 Cst
Redline MTL, 70w-80...16,000 Cp/58 Cst/10.1 Cst
Mobil 1, 75w-90 ....135,000 Cp/106 Cst/15.3 Cst
Amsoil 75w-90 ........35,000Cp/113 Cst/15.7 Cst
Amsoil 80W-90.........Unknown/129 Cst/14.9 Cst

Since Amsoil's 80W-90 is primarily formulated for marine use, I would expect that it doesn't flow anywhere near as well as the Series 2000 does. I would also expect that the Series 2000 would be similar to the Redline MT-90 you used when cold in terms of shift feel. I would still expect the Redline to be better. At operating temperature, there is no question that the Amsoil Series 2000 will provide the best protection for your transmission. You mentioned you wanted the best gear oil. If you're looking for the absolute best in terms of shift quality, I would stay with MT-90. If you want the best protection period, the Series 2000 is the better choice.

More info on the GL4 vs. GL5 issue can be found here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...;f=16;t=000087

When reading this thread, I certainly had to re-think some of the posts I made about Mobil 1 gear oil.

Edit: Fixed link.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I define "best" by the shift quality it provides. Operating temp protection is important to but if the gear lube is preventing the synchros to work properly and/or causing undesirable shift action then I will have some sort of wear one way or the other due to improper shifts. Thanks for the link. I did some searching and

Weather in Southern California is falling and will hover in the low 70s/high sixties at the warmest, and into the low 20s at the coolest if I'm in Big Bear lake (which I frequent for snowboarding).

I did some searching and reading on that bobistheoilguy website and various articles on google. Based on your commments and some further reading I did, I will be refilling my transmission with Redline. My main gripe is cold shifting.

I was thinking about mixing equal parts of MTL and MT-90, so shifting will be smooth when I'm in the snow-capped mountains and still have the protection when I'm driving through the "hotter" valleys. Is it possible to mix gear oil to "average out" the viscocity, like motor oil? We had some 90 degree November days so I don't know what's in store in the future so I'd like to have protection for both extremes. Will they be compatible? Or is MTL more than adequate for those unsual heat waves? Sorry for the dumb n00b questions.

BTW I have Amsoil in my motor and its going to stay that way
Old 12-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey mark...i just saw the thread...i have bought series 2000 from mark (iwannabmw) the MT oil is great. shifts are precise and right on. feels like a hot knife through butter...even in the cold mornings. i would reccommend the oil.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Requin6
hey mark...i just saw the thread...i have bought series 2000 from mark (iwannabmw) the MT oil is great. shifts are precise and right on. i would reccommend the oil.
Isnt that stuff expensive as *****? Salvo auto parts has it for $12 a quart I believe.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:17 PM
Sin

I can't possibly see how you can be complaining about the performance of AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90. Last summer, as part of my 60K mile/96K km service, I drained all of the tranny fluid, and put in a cheap non-synthetic gear oil in. I ran the car for a couple minutes, enough time to get the gear oil through all the passages within the tranny, then drained and topped up with AMSOIL.

A fellow Maxima buddy (he drives a 97 5 spd) that swears by Redline (we always argue as to which is better), even admitted my AMSOIL is smoother.

I was in Montreal over the weekend, and I can tell you, hot or cold, the tranny feels great. Over the weekend, in Montreal, it dropped under -20 degrees Celcius (under 0 degrees farenheit), and it still shifted to reverse from neutral, from neutral to 1st and from 1st to 2nd smoothly.

The only things I can think of is that your tranny is significantly different from mine in the they react to tranny fluids.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ericdwong

Isnt that stuff expensive as *****? Salvo auto parts has it for $12 a quart I believe.
i think i got it for about $7-$8/qt....? somewhere in that range i believe.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Requin6
hey mark...i just saw the thread...i have bought series 2000 from mark (iwannabmw) the MT oil is great. shifts are precise and right on. feels like a hot knife through butter...even in the cold mornings. i would reccommend the oil.
Did you switch from the factory fill to series 2000 or___________?

Originally posted by Sin
I can't possibly see how you can be complaining about the performance of AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90.
I have no experience with the series 2000. I'm complaining about Amsoil's "regular" GL-4 lube, and contemplating whether to try the series 2000 or go back to Redline.

Last summer, as part of my 60K mile/96K km service, I drained all of the tranny fluid, and put in a cheap non-synthetic gear oil in. I ran the car for a couple minutes, enough time to get the gear oil through all the passages within the tranny, then drained and topped up with AMSOIL.

A fellow Maxima buddy (he drives a 97 5 spd) that swears by Redline (we always argue as to which is better), even admitted my AMSOIL is smoother.

Which Redline is he using? MTL? MT-90? Did you drive his car? Do you concur that series 2000 does indeed shift better than Redline?

I was in Montreal over the weekend, and I can tell you, hot or cold, the tranny feels great. Over the weekend, in Montreal, it dropped under -20 degrees Celcius (under 0 degrees farenheit), and it still shifted to reverse from neutral, from neutral to 1st and from 1st to 2nd smoothly.
That's what I like to hear. With the regular Amsoil in cold weather it feels like there is a wall blocking my 1-2 and 2-1 shifts, which is suprising to me. Shifting was a lot better with Redline.

The only things I can think of is that your tranny is significantly different from mine in the they react to tranny fluids.
Given how some people's differential bearings have crapped out that is a possibility

Again, I was expecting similar results with the Regular Amsoil (vs. Redline) but the difference is apparent; the Amsoil feels like non-synthetic lube.

There is a lot of "I heard"-type replies regarding opinions on certain products and I truly appreciate your actual-experience feedbacks. I know there is a risk that if I decide to go with series 2000 it might not perform as well as described by you (and others) but it's still appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Sin

I switched from factory fill to Series 2000, but ran a non-synthetic 75w-90 for about 20 minutes of driving (lots of shifting, and figure 8's to get fluid through the VLSD), then drained and topped up with Series 2000, just like I said.

He is using MT-90 as well, and yes I drove his car, and yes it is smoother than factory fill, but NO it is not as smooth as Series 2000.

BTW, I've raced this stuff before in Formula SAE cars, and I can tell you right now, even the non-Series 2000 stuff protects trannies better than the MT-90. We do strip downs all the time, and the MT-90 trannies never looked as good as the AMSOIL, although we have found minimal gains in output with the MT-90 over the non-2000, but then again, we have found gains in the 2000 over the MT-90.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Sin

I switched from factory fill to Series 2000, but ran a non-synthetic 75w-90 for about 20 minutes of driving (lots of shifting, and figure 8's to get fluid through the VLSD), then drained and topped up with Series 2000, just like I said.

He is using MT-90 as well, and yes I drove his car, and yes it is smoother than factory fill, but NO it is not as smooth as Series 2000.

BTW, I've raced this stuff before in Formula SAE cars, and I can tell you right now, even the non-Series 2000 stuff protects trannies better than the MT-90. We do strip downs all the time, and the MT-90 trannies never looked as good as the AMSOIL, although we have found minimal gains in output with the MT-90 over the non-2000, but then again, we have found gains in the 2000 over the MT-90.
Sounds good. I was looking up what iwannabmw's numbers meant for the layman and I don't doubt that Amsoil will protect better than Redline. But when that shifter doesn't want to go into 2nd in cold weather, thats the last thing on my mind!

Looks like I will try out Amsoil series 2000. If the difference in shift quality between Redline and Series 2000 is negligible (under normal circumstances) I will at least pump some more money into the economy (and into that Oil pyramid scheme)
Old 12-03-2002, 05:57 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I know of several people on this forum who use Series 2000 in their 5 speed, and a few in the 6 speed. By far, the 5 speed people have reported better results than the 6 speed people.

Since no one else feels like chiming in here, I'll throw some more information at you, though I think I may not exactly be the source you're looking for.

I'm not surprised that the Redline felt better for you than the Amsoil 80W-90. Redline's manual transmission lubes were designed to promote maximum performance, whether that is easier shifting in the cold or outright power delivery. Amsoil tends to focus on wear protection at operating temperature, shift feel is a secondary consideration.

I'm going to concur with Mark on this one, as the feedback I have seen does indicate more overall smoothness of Redline's MT-90, so Eye Dirty's experience isn't all that surprising.

However, Amsoil's effectiveness has been lab proven on cars here while Redline's has not.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:43 AM

There everyone is.

ericdwong: The Series 2000 is relatively expensive compared to some of their other gear oils, but is still comparable to the price of Redline. $12/qt. is way too much for the 75W-90, perhaps the price you saw was for the 75W-140?

My thoughts on Redline MTL: IMO, MTL trades off too much wear protection to gain the best shift quality. If you liv in an area that never sees temps. above freezing it would be all right, otherwise the MT-90 would be the much better choice.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks for all the info in this thread.

I went out and got 5 qts of Amsoil Series 2000 75W 90 today for $8.99 a qt from GI Joes amd changed my MT fluid.
The shifting is exactly as you've all said it would be - silky smooth - I couldn't belive the difference!
Old 12-08-2002, 08:09 PM

Re: Need input on Manual transmission fluid (AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90)

Originally posted by Eye Dirty
I've used both Redline MT-90 and most recently Amsoil 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGT), both GL-4 gear oil. I did the switch from Redline to Amsoil in late spring/summer so I witheld my opinion until I experienced some colder weather, because I used Amsoil throughout fall and winter.

Well since its colder now I can safely say I prefer Redline MT-90 over Amsoil. When shifting from 1st to second gear during cold morning starts the Redlind is much easier to shift. Plus when the engine/tranny is warm the Redline feels much better than the Amsoil. Redline makes the shifting feel slicker and more precise (less notchy).

I'm glad to see this. I'm changing to MT-90 on Thurs. for my 2K.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:57 PM

Re: Re: Need input on Manual transmission fluid (AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90)

Originally posted by CRMax

I'm glad to see this. I'm changing to MT-90 on Thurs. for my 2K.
I edited my original post because I just realized that I typed "I used amsoil throughout fall and winter" instead of REDLINE.

My package of Series 2000 should be coming in soon. I can't wait to experience the difference.

Originally posted by ORBRIT

thanks for all the info in this thread.

I went out and got 5 qts of Amsoil Series 2000 75W 90 today for $8.99 a qt from GI Joes amd changed my MT fluid.
The shifting is exactly as you've all said it would be - silky smooth - I couldn't belive the difference!
What type of tranny fluid were you using prior to the switch?
Old 12-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Need input on Manual transmission fluid (AMSOIL Series 2000 75W-90)

I edited my original post because I just realized that I typed "I used amsoil throughout fall and winter" instead of REDLINE.

My package of Series 2000 should be coming in soon. I can't wait to experience the difference.

What type of tranny fluid were you using prior to the switch?
I'm not sure what brand, but the paperwork I have from the previous owner shows a Manual Transmission Service at Oil Can Henry's with GL4 80W90 Gear Oil.
I'm assuming generic stuff as it was $19.95 incl. labor.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:06 PM

Review: Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube

Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 gear lube is the manual tranny fluid to get. When I drive the car after the car's been sitting overnight in 30-40 degree temperature I can feel the difference in the smoothness of the shift action above the regular Amsoil gear lube and Redline MT-90 too! In 20 degree temperature like Big Bear Lake I still have to rev higher than 2500 to perform a 1-2 shift (otherwise the synchros won't mesh and I'll encounter that "wall") but it doesn't happen as much.

And when I slow to a stop within the first few minutes after the cold start-up I can move my shifter into 1st at about 5-10mph versus having to come to a complete stop with the other fluids.

When the transmission is warm the shift action encourages more shifting. The shifter doesn't make love to my hand like a Honda/Acura shifter does, but driving is a lot more fun! I found myself wanting to leave the house just so I can drive around! I would recommend Amsoil Series 2000 gear lube above all else!

It is better than Redline MT-90 in every way!
Old 12-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Sin

Told Yah So!

Old 12-17-2002, 05:37 PM

Re: Told Yah So!

Originally posted by Sin

Thanks to all who chimed in on this issue. I hope in the future when someone else is in the market for gear lube they will use the search and find this and other related threads and make a better, informed decision.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Told Yah So!

Thanks to all who chimed in on this issue. I hope in the future when someone else is in the market for gear lube they will use the search and find this and other related threads and make a better, informed decision.
I've had my 2000 in since the summer, and this morning, it was about -20 C over night, or about -4 degrees Fareneheit, and this morning, shifting into reverse was a dream. Driving off with a silky shifter, as if it was 20 C (68F).
Old 12-17-2002, 07:42 PM

Re: Review: Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube

Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 gear lube is the manual tranny fluid to get. When I drive the car after the car's been sitting overnight in 30-40 degree temperature I can feel the difference in the smoothness of the shift action above the regular Amsoil gear lube and Redline MT-90 too! In 20 degree temperature like Big Bear Lake I still have to rev higher than 2500 to perform a 1-2 shift (otherwise the synchros won't mesh and I'll encounter that "wall") but it doesn't happen as much.

And when I slow to a stop within the first few minutes after the cold start-up I can move my shifter into 1st at about 5-10mph versus having to come to a complete stop with the other fluids.

When the transmission is warm the shift action encourages more shifting. The shifter doesn't make love to my hand like a Honda/Acura shifter does, but driving is a lot more fun! I found myself wanting to leave the house just so I can drive around! I would recommend Amsoil Series 2000 gear lube above all else!

It is better than Redline MT-90 in every way!

Old 12-17-2002, 10:57 PM

I saw Amsoil series 2000 75w-90w for GL-2 through GL-5 and
series 2000 80w-90w for GL4 which one is better to run in the max? whats the difference besides the weight spread?
Also how many quarts do I need for a 4th gen?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by 975spEEd
I saw Amsoil series 2000 75w-90w for GL-2 through GL-5 and
series 2000 80w-90w for GL4 which one is better to run in the max? whats the difference besides the weight spread?
Also how many quarts do I need for a 4th gen?
Either one is acceptable, but your best results will be from the Series 2000 75W-90. The Series 2000 oils are the latest formulation and tend to contain a higher ester content, have a higher film strength and greater resistance to high temperature oxidation. There are only two Series 2000 gear lubes released right now, the 75W-90 and the 75W-140. The other gear lubes are a different formulation.

For a 4th gen 5 speed, you'll need 5 quarts.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:43 AM

The Series 2000 oils are the latest formulation and tend to contain a higher ester content, have a higher film strength and greater resistance to high temperature oxidation.
Mark,

I have the Amsoil regular 75w-90 gear oil (not the GLE but my other Nissan). How much better is the Series 2000 versus the regular Amsoil gear oil? How does the regular Amsoil 75w-90 compare to the Redline MT90?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 02:15 PM

Either one is acceptable, but your best results will be from the Series 2000 75W-90. The Series 2000 oils are the latest formulation and tend to contain a higher ester content, have a higher film strength and greater resistance to high temperature oxidation. There are only two Series 2000 gear lubes released right now, the 75W-90 and the 75W-140. The other gear lubes are a different formulation.

For a 4th gen 5 speed, you'll need 5 quarts.
Thanks, so it's safe to use the 75w-90w thats GL2-GL5, correct?
I've read a bunch of stuff about only using GL4 lube.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by johnny2kgle

Mark,

I have the Amsoil regular 75w-90 gear oil (not the GLE but my other Nissan). How much better is the Series 2000 versus the regular Amsoil gear oil? How does the regular Amsoil 75w-90 compare to the Redline MT90?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Amsoil's regular 75W-90 performs almost identical when cold to the Series 2000 75W-90. At operating temperature the Series 2000 maintains a slightly higher viscosity, a higher film strength and better resistance to high temperature oxidation than the regular 75W-90. That's not to say the regular oil is not good in any way, but the Series 2000 is capable of more protection under hard use. Some people feel the Series 2000 is overkill for street use, but for the small cost difference on something that rarely gets changed, I personally opt for the best oil they have.

Compared to Redline MT-90, all of Amsoil's gear lubes offer superior protection to it, but some don't shift as well as it does when cold.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by 975spEEd

Thanks, so it's safe to use the 75w-90w thats GL2-GL5, correct?
I've read a bunch of stuff about only using GL4 lube.
I was worried about that at first as well. What I discovered after some research was that Amsoil's GL2-5 fluids are formulated with EP buffers that prevent EP additives like Phosphorus from attacking soft metals, making them safe to use in a GL4 tranny.