General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My very sticky situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

eric broke his toy..now mom and dad is going to buy him another one.

eric would u do what u do to the max if u spent your hard earned $ on the car? i'm not talking about the mods...but paying insurance and making car payments.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Getting back to his roots

To BriGuyMax:

My post was a bit extreme, but I have just seen too many cases where parents' "reward system" has caused their children to become childish and irresponsible. Case in point: my ex-roommate bounced a check to me for 3 months worth of backlogged utilities that he owed me. Why? He cut me a check a day before he left for a European vacation (sponsered by his parents in response to his successful completion of the school year), and blew all of that money while there before my check could even clear! I wish this were an isolated case, but I have others involving crashing cars while drunk and having Daddy replace them, etc. It is IMHO that parents should not buy their children a car (better than "beater" status) or other high-priced items until they are out of college and fully-mature adults. Thanks for respecting my opinion.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:21 PM

You guys really need to open your eyes to the drug world. Rolls can be bought like candy, weed is a daily thing and cocaine is a delicacy. You really think Americas war on drugs is working? Hmm.. maybe you should visit a college, and get your kids drug tested. Bet you'll be surprised with what you find..

Old 12-05-2002, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Maximamike
You guys really need to open your eyes to the drug world. Rolls can be bought like candy, weed is a daily thing and cocaine is a delicacy. You really think Americas war on drugs is working? Hmm.. maybe you should visit a college, and get your kids drug tested. Bet you'll be surprised with what you find..

...to quote the Talking Heads..."same as it ever was..."

When I was in high school 30 years ago (in a large city as well as in a small town), pot, LSD, MDA and "magic" mushrooms were easier to get than beer.

Everyone with more than a room-temperature IQ knows that the "War on Drugs" was (and is) a big waste of time, money and energy.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
To BriGuyMax:

My post was a bit extreme, but I have just seen too many cases where parents' "reward system" has caused their children to become childish and irresponsible. Case in point: my ex-roommate bounced a check to me for 3 months worth of backlogged utilities that he owed me. Why? He cut me a check a day before he left for a European vacation (sponsered by his parents in response to his successful completion of the school year), and blew all of that money while there before my check could even clear! I wish this were an isolated case, but I have others involving crashing cars while drunk and having Daddy replace them, etc. It is IMHO that parents should not buy their children a car (better than "beater" status) or other high-priced items until they are out of college and fully-mature adults. Thanks for respecting my opinion.

I completetly agree
Old 12-05-2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Maximamike

And this means what Mikey? Everyone should go out and buy drugs because they are so easy to get?

Old 12-05-2002, 10:51 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Hear, Hear!

MChapel

As a 30 year old (not too far removed from Eric's age, and not too far from parenthood, I can REALLY relate to what you are saying.

I'm sorry, was he complaining about getting a free car? STFU.
Was he complaining that he blew out his tranny 3x? STFU.
Was he complaining that the piano on his back was preventing him from getting a job? STFU.

Sorry Eric, it's time to take the silver spoon out of your mouth, and tell the parents that you'll be responsible. You are a STUDENT, not a person with a job. You have responsibilities that revolve around finishing your education and enjoying your free time. Your subsidization of your free time should be done by you (with SOME help from your parents). Your EXPECTATION that they help you out when you f*ck up THREE times in one year leads me to believe that you are a TOUCH too spoiled.

NOW, I'm not going to argue with Sprint, as you might be an exceptional young man, and very capable, with a bright future; and since I don't know you, I will not fully slam you...

BUT

I cannot WAIT until you get in to the real world and have to start paying for your own sh*t. Please, keep us posted when it comes to depending on your own income to pay for: rent, food, insurance, bills, debts, retirement savings, car, gas, hookers (okay, had to throw that in there to lighten this up a bit), and all the sundry things that take up people's money.

I couldn't agree more with the people who post on this thread talking about being financially responsible, and not spooging off your parents.

MY .02

Mike
Originally posted by MChapel

AMAF, my 20 year-old son IS on his way to an engineering degree. Our family, however, does not have the financial resources ( only $90K a year) to pay for 5 years of tuition AND a new Honda Civic - let alone a 350Z.

Our son didn't want to go to the local university (which has an engineering department to rival MIT) and live at home. So, in order to pay for his living expenses at a different university (admittedly, it also has an excellent engineering department) 150 miles away, he works every summer - 45 to 55 hours a week - doing landscaping; hot, dirty work - and he starts most days at 6:30am - for $12.50/hr.

Up until recently, he drove my old '89 Prelude (which I sold to him for 1/2 market value), which he drove into the ground. He now drives a 94 Sentra and I pay for the insurance. Yes, he borrowed about 1/2 the money from us, but he got a part time job while at school and is paying us back $200/month.

Am I proud of my son? Hell, yes!!! My son's a young man. Eric's acting like a 10 year-old - even if he can rebuild a transmission. Eric didn't even have the ***** to rent a place to do it; he used his mom's kitchen -
Old 12-05-2002, 10:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

You guys act like Eric's parents did him some type of FAVOR by buying him THAT maxima. LOL!
Old 12-05-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm so hood

You guys act like Eric's parents did him some type of FAVOR by buying him a THAT maxima. LOL!
Maybe it was a devious, drawn-out plot all along.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:36 PM

haha

You sound like a spoiled baby who doesn't even deserve to be driving a 93 sentra, let alone anything new and nice. I wonder if your first post is a joke, in the same vein as those I've posted on Anandtech in the past. Parodies on idiots I call them
Old 12-05-2002, 03:11 PM
no more maxima...

Damn, I am an engineering student going to a university in Canada, and my parents laugh at me when I ask them to help me buy a max. I know they will help me pay for part of it, but even with that I am confident over time I will pay them back for it.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:26 PM

Re: haha

Originally posted by SkoorbMax
You sound like a spoiled baby who doesn't even deserve to be driving a 93 sentra, let alone anything new and nice. I wonder if your first post is a joke, in the same vein as those I've posted on Anandtech in the past. Parodies on idiots I call them

Yeah... ok... Ill cut you some slack cause you probably havent been on this board long enough to know what I've been through with this car. I had almost the worst luck with this thing- from Y pipes failing 3 times and then not fitting, to tires that take 4 hours to mount, to transmissions blowing 3x, to the outrageous insurance thats $200 less per year then one of the most expensive cars to insure for a young male driver, to dealers that give me the shaft. That and to anybody else, call me what you want, I really could care less. I dont think I'm spoiled. Most my friends drive Toyota Supra TT's, C5 and C4 corvettes, 2002 Camaro SS's, BMWs (remember the coat stolen thread?), Lexus IS300s.. yes some of them the parents bought it for them. Others worked for theirs.....and when I went to the University of Miami in FL, there were kids driving Porsches and Ferraris. So I am spoiled driving a 97 maxima family sedan that was bought used that has almost 80K miles on it? I think not. As for deserving anything, I do most of the work on my car myself, so its not like I sit on my butt and do nothing and complain and demand.

I do not have a job because I do not have time for a job. Although I'm only at a community college right now I'm 1/2 business major and 1/2 engineering major which I'm making the full switch back to engineering. I am fortunate my parents are very concerned with education (which asian parents arent? hehe) and are willing to provide. My gripe about the Honda Civic is that in my eyes it would be a waste of their money. Why would I get something that I know I'm not going to be happy with, when instead I could stuff the money in the bank while it draws interest?
Old 12-05-2002, 07:57 PM

Spoiled eh? Top this

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,72170,00.html
Old 12-05-2002, 08:06 PM

hey eric...

back to the car choices, and call me biased, but go for the prelude. With I/H/E you'll have no problem beating most NA maximas, Honda reliability is really good, and it handles like a dream (though 5th gen preludes are a BIT heavy). At least go test drive one, and I agree with Dave B, don't get the Type SH Lude, just get a Base lude, either turbo or SC if you have money, but I'm sure you'd be happy with just the regular NA mods.

- M
Old 12-05-2002, 10:00 PM

i also agree that if your parents offer you a car, why turn them down? when i sold my 95 i was going to use that money, and take out a loan for the difference to get a 97.. my father took me to the dealer with the intentions of leasing me a base model altima. well the max was only like 50-60 more a month, so we decided to go with the max. if my father does well, and offers to pay for my lease while im going through college and im a good kid, why would i turn it down?

if my father wants me to drive a nice car whats wrong with that? i mean if your parents offered to get you a new car and they drive an old car, or you know that they will be cutting it close financially if they bought you a new car, then i would turn it down.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:54 AM

Re: Re: haha

Originally posted by ericdwong

Although I'm only at a community college right now I'm 1/2 business major and 1/2 engineering major which I'm making the full switch back to engineering. I am fortunate my parents are very concerned with education (which asian parents arent? hehe) and are willing to provide. My gripe about the Honda Civic is that in my eyes it would be a waste of their money. Why would I get something that I know I'm not going to be happy with, when instead I could stuff the money in the bank while it draws interest?
I'm going to take that back, if you are in a CC it's not likely you will get the 52k to 57k that I had mentioned, which is starting salary for an engineer. We're talking 4-yr, full-blown engineering programs. Anyway, I'm not trying to be funny. the honda civic is an excellent car, as are all hondas. your dad probably wants to get it so that if you **** up he will take it away from you and your family will have an excellent car upon which money was well spent. that's my guess.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mattC
hey eric...

back to the car choices, and call me biased, but go for the prelude. With I/H/E you'll have no problem beating most NA maximas, Honda reliability is really good, and it handles like a dream (though 5th gen preludes are a BIT heavy). At least go test drive one, and I agree with Dave B, don't get the Type SH Lude, just get a Base lude, either turbo or SC if you have money, but I'm sure you'd be happy with just the regular NA mods.

- M
I agree with the Prelude choice. I test drove a Prelude before I bought the Maxima (the 'Lude was way over my budget) and I loved the way it handled. And they look really cool, too, except for the Avanti style headlights (to each his own). The SH types handle like they are on rails, but I have heard that replacing the clutch in one of them is a 24 hour job - very expensive!
Old 12-06-2002, 06:04 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Some people need to unlatch from the nipple and provide for themselves.............