General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What fuel additive would you reccomend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 11:01 AM

What fuel additive would you reccomend?

Hey,

My mileage is slipping, and in addition to cleaning my ground points and changing a bad 02 sensor, I think I may need to clean out the fuel system some (I had a hard start today). What brand/product would you reccomend to clean out the system (besides cleaning the TB manually)? BTW, I searched, didn't find anything too helpful. Thanks.

~Wes
Old 12-15-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: What fuel additive would you reccomend?

Originally posted by gepetto
Hey,

My mileage is slipping, and in addition to cleaning my ground points and changing a bad 02 sensor, I think I may need to clean out the fuel system some (I had a hard start today). What brand/product would you reccomend to clean out the system (besides cleaning the TB manually)? BTW, I searched, didn't find anything too helpful. Thanks.

~Wes
I'm sure a few people will step up and offer some suggestions, but Nissan itself does not recommend you use any additions. Nearly all gas stations have additions in their gas that does the same thing. My advice would be to save your money.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:36 PM

BG44K It's the best stuff out their. Go to any car dealership you want and they should have it. It'll cost you around $20.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Ramius83

Really, other than clogged fuel injectors, dirty fuel filter, and a dirty fuel pump basket, you do not need to "clean your fuel system". Your bad fuel mileage can be a resultant of many factors. It can be bad O2 sensors, bad knock sensor, dirty fuel filter, dirty air filter, fouling spark plugs, dirty throttle body, etc.

Before you go spending money on fuel additives, make sure that the above listed things are checked out first. Additives are NOT recommended by Nissan and the famous Daniel B Martin even stated to NOT use fuel additives.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
Really, other than clogged fuel injectors, dirty fuel filter, and a dirty fuel pump basket, you do not need to "clean your fuel system". Your bad fuel mileage can be a resultant of many factors. It can be bad O2 sensors, bad knock sensor, dirty fuel filter, dirty air filter, fouling spark plugs, dirty throttle body, etc.

Before you go spending money on fuel additives, make sure that the above listed things are checked out first. Additives are NOT recommended by Nissan and the famous Daniel B Martin even stated to NOT use fuel additives.
I personally have no desire to use fuel additives, mostly due to the cost. But I've heard TECHRON which is a Chevron product is the way to go. Expensive, but cheaper than replacing injectors. I don't like burning money, ie I avoid synth oil, gasoline additives, etc.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I use a bottle of Techron at each oil change.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:51 PM

Techron
Old 12-15-2002, 04:29 PM

After installing new fuel/air filters, get your injectors professionally cleaned. Make sure the shop uses a motorvac/decarbon/carbonclean/professional type FI/topend/valve/TB/intake cleaners.

Then, make a habit of using any bottle of FI cleaner at every oil change. Visit autoparts store for various brands. BG44K is probably the best.

What is slipping mileage?
Old 12-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Chevron Techron here too...every oil change. I've never been able to tell of any "observable" improvements, but being that it can't harm the system and that I am running on 6 rebuilt/new injectors since summer I say why not!?!
Old 12-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: What fuel additive would you reccomend?

Originally posted by gepetto
Hey,

~Wes

I used to use Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner at every oil change. Tried BG 44K last two times (I30 & Honda) and was very pleased. On Chevron, my cars ran better when additive was in the gas tank but on next tank it wouldn't run as well. On BG 44K the car runs better when it is in the tank and on ensuing tanks of gas. I buy BG 44K from www.extrememotorsports.com for $15.00 (no sales tax). I usually order 4 cans at a time so shipping is about $1.50 a can. I plan on using 44K every six months rather than 3 months on Chevron Techron so the 44K is more economical. It is a damn good product!
Old 12-15-2002, 06:07 PM

Redline SI-1.. It works great.. and unlike other brands, it doesn't leave deposits that clog ur system!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=redline+SI1

These guys have the best prices around..
Old 12-15-2002, 08:58 PM

Slipping milage = my gas mileage is falling

Anyway,

My dilemma is this: when I saw my mileage falling, I decided to diagnose the engine - 0707 code - rear heated 02 sensor. I also have a feeling that my grounds are really dirty.

Air Filter - relatively new (less than 10k miles on it)
Plugs - all but brand new (less than 5k miles)
Fuel filter - very new (less thank 5k miles)
Fuel system clean out - recently (less than 10k miles)

I guess I'll save the money and see what this O2 sensor does when I change it this weekend. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Chevron PREMIUM fuel...

...and a bottle of Chevron Fuel System Cleaner w/TECHRON every 3K miles.

I've never heard of the BBK stuff, but I know for a FACT that the TECHRON will strip carbon deposits and varnish buildup in as little as 10K miles.

The biggest DIFFERENCE you can make is to prevent the buildup by using Chevron fuel exclusively. It will also slowly reduce deposits/buildup already present with the TECHRON additive.