General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Which car should I buy?
Turbo 97 auto Max with built tranny
37.50%
Loaded 98 5 speed Max
62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

IMPORTANT: Tell me what to do with $3000!!!! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 08:06 AM
Lightly modded

IMPORTANT: Tell me what to do with $3000!!!! (Long)

Well, you might remember this from a few months ago. But now I have some different options. I want to sell my car regardless because I really want black interior and the 97 bodystyle.
1. Sell my car, buy a black/black 1997 GLE and buy Hlh0505’s (sp?) turbo for the auto($4000). I would then get a tranny cooler and VB mod ($700?). Then get all the suspension mods, SFCs, engine mounts etc ($1300). Minor exterior/interior mods ($400). Gagues and other random stuff ($600). Use current sub set-up to save money.
Mod total: $7,000.

Pros: Muscle car performance, “cool” factor, very fun to drive. Cool, cool, cool, cool.....
Cons: Debt, reliability. I will be entering college next year, so money is a big factor, and yes it would be all my money. Still can’t shift for myself really. Wouldn’t be able to use turbo to full potential very much. However, there are some VERY long and straight roads near the college I hope to attend. I also don’t want my car in the shop all year, it’s my only car.

Questions: All you auto guys with SC and about 10 PSI- how is your tranny holding up? Is a VB mod and cooler enough? Or would I need a Level 10 rebuild if I want to run more than 6 PSI? Why do I see some people breaking drive axles or whatever its called, and some not? More boost? I’m thinking I would run about 6 PSI around town, and maybe turn it up a little for track and weekends.

Approx 1/4 time with slicks, built tranny, and 11 PSI- 12.8?
Sleeper effect: Off the chart

2. Sell my car, buy a 1998 SE black/black 5 speed. Already has red/clears, CC, HIDs, 2001 SE rims, Frankencar intake. All I would really need to buy is y pipe ($300) and suspension stuff mentioned above ($1300). I would also get a new sub set-up (2 10” Audiobahn 1000W subs with Audiobahn 1000W 1 ohm amp ($550 on Ebay).
Mod total: $2200.

Pros: Very good performance from sedan...but not turbo speed. Much better reliability. Get to have fun with stick. Could spend more money on cosmetic mods. Much less debt, if any at all. Better system.
Cons: Not nearly as fast. Driving stick in DC traffic isn’t cool.

Approx 1/4 time when I get good- 14.6
Sleeper effect: About an 8.6.

Well, what should I do? Something tells me I won’t want to put up with all the problems that come out of having a turbo, or the money. If I get the stick, I might consider getting a 75 shot, or something like that for when I need a kick in the pants. I don’t really know anything about turbos, or how the whole system would work, but I would love learning about it. I keep going back and forth between the two options. Knowing that I would be able to hang with a new Vette with the turbo makes me....giddy.

On either car I would plan on getting a 20% tint, black out the Nissan emblem on the grille, black out the CC, and tint the red/clears. If there are any REAL photoshop people that see this, I would appreciate it if you could do those things I mentioned to a black 97 SE. Thanks.

In the future years, I may consider a SC if I get the 5 speed. Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Zog

Re: IMPORTANT: Tell me what to do with $3000!!!! (Long)

I don't really know much about turbo either, but if you look at www.turbomaxima.com and read the faq pages, there's a lot of explanation and good info. Really makes me wish i had some benji's layin around. . .
Old 12-19-2002, 12:28 PM
I need a truck

Re: Re: IMPORTANT: Tell me what to do with $3000!!!! (Long)

get the 5spd ... the turbo on the auto will just kill the tranny very quickly, unless you have a levelten tranny
Old 12-19-2002, 12:40 PM

I'd keep driving your current set of wheels and save the money. If you're going to be heading off to college, you'll need it! Wait until you graduate and make some more $$$ to mess with the serious mods. Good luck in your choice and enjoy!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'd get the 5 speed

then save up and possibly do all of that to that car...
Old 12-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Jedi Knight

I say forget all that and just give me the $3k!....lol..just kidding...I agree with most folks...keep what you have and save your money for college!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Lightly modded

Re: Re: IMPORTANT: Tell me what to do with $3000!!!! (Long)

Originally posted by zoggfatha
I don't really know much about turbo either, but if you look at www.turbomaxima.com and read the faq pages, there's a lot of explanation and good info. Really makes me wish i had some benji's layin around. . .
been there, done that. but thanks though. im leaning towards that 5 speed now.....
Old 12-19-2002, 01:58 PM

5 speed all the way! I got an auto and it's great but the one regret I have is that it's not stick
Old 12-19-2002, 04:14 PM
Ramius83

Get the 5-speed, save a little more, and turbo it......

Old 12-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Sports Button FTW

unless you plan to go to the track every 3 weekends, i would get the 98 5 speed, for one, its fully loaded, two its 5 speed and for average driving on the roads, the power of the maxima by itself is already too strong, especially if u r 5 speed, you will barely get to use the full potential of the car. From there i would use that 3,000 to get as many bolt ons as i can to increase performance and use some on the sound system and use rest for college. You'll have everything you want, wont' be as fast as a turbo but you really don't need that much speed unless you plan to go to track a lot or live by a lot of 5 series and cobra's....

either way you'll have to buy the turbo so why even put it with the auto?

i also didn't know a full setup for turbo was estimated at 7,000 dollars

i wish people that sold these turbo's would include everything and a REAListic estimate of what everything would cost, all the essentials and all that's recommended...all thsi time i thought it would be like 5,000 maximum...
Old 12-19-2002, 05:37 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by meccanoble

i also didn't know a full setup for turbo was estimated at 7,000 dollars

i wish people that sold these turbo's would include everything and a REAListic estimate of what everything would cost, all the essentials and all that's recommended...all thsi time i thought it would be like 5,000 maximum...
no no, the turbo from hlh0505 is $4000. the $7000 estimate came from the addition of suspension mods, tranny mods, and int/ext mods. with all the extra gagues and non-sense, it would probably be $5000 MAX, like you said. yea, now im really leaning towards that 5 speed. somebody please try to sway me towards the turbo!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 PM

Re: IMPORTANT: Tell me what to do with $3000!!!! (Long)

Originally posted by 95maxrider
On either car I would plan on getting a 20% tint, black out the Nissan emblem on the grille, black out the CC, and tint the red/clears. If there are any REAL photoshop people that see this, I would appreciate it if you could do those things I mentioned to a black 97 SE. Thanks.

In the future years, I may consider a SC if I get the 5 speed. Just a thought.
Just spend it on whatever makes you happy. 3 grand isn't gonna make or break anyone, even if you're headed for college. A few years ago we probably would have told you to buy some stock and wait a week or two and cash it in for 7 grand, but that's not likely to happen today. Today a person must bust his b**** to make money, and it kinda takes money to make money. Lots of folks I know are buying fixer-upper houses and flipping them after a few months of playing this old house. Everybody and his grandma has either bought a house this year or is looking for one even still. Just when we thought the economy couldn't get worse and the rates couldn't go lower, look WTF happened today.

To summarize, 3 grand ain't gonna cover even 1/2 of closing costs on a house, it's not gonna grow into 10 grand anytime soon, so make yourself happy!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:26 PM

Get a cheap stock 97 5-speed turbo that and then beef up on other mods. Y-pipe would be the most important.

Look around I'm sure a cheap 97 will come your way.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:04 PM

Something tells me you should go for that 5 speed. I've heard many great things about the current owner. How he changes the oil himself every 2500 miles using Genuine Nissan Filters, how he never takes it to the track, never races it, only washes it by hand, switched to Redline MT-90. Mostly driven in Wilmington, Delaware. Its got every single option possible as well as a few that make it on par with a loaded 2K3(HID, 17's, 2K2 6 Speed ****, BOSE 6 CD Changer).
Old 12-20-2002, 03:55 AM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by NYC GXE
Something tells me you should go for that 5 speed. I've heard many great things about the current owner. How he changes the oil himself every 2500 miles using Genuine Nissan Filters, how he never takes it to the track, never races it, only washes it by hand, switched to Redline MT-90. Mostly driven in Wilmington, Delaware. Its got every single option possible as well as a few that make it on par with a loaded 2K3(HID, 17's, 2K2 6 Speed ****, BOSE 6 CD Changer).

but why have a 6 speed **** with only 5 gears? and you gotta drop in the 3.5 block to really make it a 2k3 i bet you know the owner pretty well huh?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:01 AM

A veteran member, "Jeff K" one of the most respected drivers on this site, told me how superior it was to the stock/AE ****. It really is, its just perfect, it blows the stock looking or momo shifter away.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by NYC GXE
A veteran member, "Jeff K" one of the most respected drivers on this site, told me how superior it was to the stock/AE ****. It really is, its just perfect, it blows the stock looking or momo shifter away.
I must say, the 6 speed shiftknob has a very, very comfortable grip...
yet it's so simple and small..

i might get one and wrap it in leather to cover that 6 speed pattern on top