General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Going through with insurance claim...need opinions and suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 12:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Going through with insurance claim...need opinions and suggestions.

Hey guys.my 2k2 is going back into the shop to get its body work done, finally, again, hopefully for the last time. A few months back I manage to hit a big-rig's torn off tire, cracked the hell out my my ninja bumper. Few months after that a Mustang manged to change lanes into me, crumpling my passenger side fender. 2 weeks ago, a front lip off someones car flew up and shattered the right side of my windshield, scratched up my side mirror, and pilar.

Anyway, now to the point. I told my isurance the Front lip shattered my bumper, busted my headlight (its fogging up), scratched my hood ( 2 gashes due to garbage man), shattered my windsheild, damdaged mirror/pillar. Now I can get all the parts for cheap through the friends of maxima.org, I was wondering how insurance does this. The first accident i had the claim adjuster person came out to my house the next morning and wrote me a check. Now when i reported it, they gave me a claim number and told me to go to a shop for an estimate. Im wondering, do I get the check? Does the shop get the check? Whats the deal. Im hoping I'll get the check like last time so i can save money on parts and spend it on other things. Any ideas/ suggestions?

~Larry~
Old 01-24-2003, 01:36 AM

Hey Larry, typically you make a claim like that, take it to a body shop which is authorized by the insurance company, and they do the paperwork, billing, etc. Generally, you dont just get cut a check. Furthermore, getting the estimate and the work done are two seperate things. You might be able to take it for an estimate at one shop, and get the work done at another, but they watch that kinda stuff very closely. Count yourself lucky they are willing to accept your story and fix it at all.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Unless you are using a direct repair shop that your insurance company sent you to, you will get the check. The only a shop gets the check is if you sign a direction of payment to them.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Unless you are using a direct repair shop that your insurance company sent you to, you will get the check. The only a shop gets the check is if you sign a direction of payment to them.
With that many claims on a 2k2 I'd think they'd drop him asap. I'd get this thing fixed like it's the last claim they'll pay and start shopping for a new carrier.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by hakk97se
Hey Larry, typically you make a claim like that, take it to a body shop which is authorized by the insurance company, and they do the paperwork, billing, etc. Generally, you dont just get cut a check. Furthermore, getting the estimate and the work done are two seperate things. You might be able to take it for an estimate at one shop, and get the work done at another, but they watch that kinda stuff very closely. Count yourself lucky they are willing to accept your story and fix it at all.
what he said

i'll add something here.
if the insurance company knows you have performance mods in your car, most of the time, the insurance company will dimiss your claim. good luck.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by funmax

what he said

i'll add something here.
if the insurance company knows you have performance mods in your car, most of the time, the insurance company will dimiss your claim. good luck.
Actually this is only my 2nd claim. The first one was due to a rather big accident. My fault. The incident with the font lip hitting my car really just busted the paint on the bumper, cracked the windshield, and scuffed the paint on the mirror and Pillar. The crack on the bumper and foggy headlight is just in the direct line of the front lip. soooo...i decided to just claim it all. 2nd claim...it shouldn't be that bad, since this one is NOT my fault. I dont think they woudld drop me for that....
Old 01-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1

Actually this is only my 2nd claim. The first one was due to a rather big accident. My fault. The incident with the font lip hitting my car really just busted the paint on the bumper, cracked the windshield, and scuffed the paint on the mirror and Pillar. The crack on the bumper and foggy headlight is just in the direct line of the front lip. soooo...i decided to just claim it all. 2nd claim...it shouldn't be that bad, since this one is NOT my fault. I dont think they woudld drop me for that....
Youd be surprised though, insurance companies are a-holes!! Im lucky though, the insurance settled my claim within a week. Not to bad. I dont have experience with a shop though, since my car was towed to a shop of the insurances choice and was deemed totalled...

Eric
Old 01-24-2003, 08:53 PM

Insurance Companies will usually give checks on smaller claims ($500) where you can drive car to them for their appraisal. In situations where the car is towed to shop, in my cases $5000 and up repair estimates they cut a check to the body shop doing the repairs and myself. This protects them and any lien holder on your car. I always have car towed to where I want work done (if undrivable). If car is drivable I take it to body shop I want to do work, tell them I want them to do work. They then call one of their buddies and set up an appointment for me to get a second appraisal. Some how the second appraisal is always higher and I get the shop I wanted all along. As far as what you want to do I don't think many shops would play ball with you unless you are a friend.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

Youd be surprised though, insurance companies are a-holes!! Im lucky though, the insurance settled my claim within a week. Not to bad. I dont have experience with a shop though, since my car was towed to a shop of the insurances choice and was deemed totalled...

Eric
so the insurance company settled your totalled car within a week and all insurance companies are a-holes?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by CKNY

so the insurance company settled your totalled car within a week and all insurance companies are a-holes?
your sorta lucky the next morning i was 6200 richer!..hahah