General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I'm Going to Court! PLEASE READ! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 12:55 PM

Hi,

I need some advice!

I'm going to court Feb. 28th for a ticket, "Red Light"

Here's how it happened!

I was on my way home one evening, I was in a Bit of a rush, and I made a "ROLLING STOP, RIGHT TURN" at an intersection, the light had just turned Red, and I rolled and turned right!

Only after I made the Turn did I see a Cop, Perpendicular to the street I was JUST on! (he was waiting to go west, I was Heading North, turned East)

Nothing, happened ... Until THREE (3) sets of lights later, I was patiently waiting in the LEFT turn lane, for the light to turn green!!!

***** Here's the funny part: I was in my Pathfinder, there was a 2000 Pathfinder in front of me, SAME Color, DID the SAME ROLLING Stop *******

The COP pulled up Behind me and told me to PULL OVER to the RIGHT cutting across from the left hand lane to the Right!

He CAUGHT the Guy in FRONT of me too ... TWO Pathfinders, SILVER ... one a Slightly newer Model!!!!!

I NEED ADVISE ... Its 3 Demerit points if I get Convicted!!
Note: I'm in CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2001, 01:01 PM

Sounds like you're forked to me. How can anyone help you? If the cop wants to bust *****, there's nothing you can do. Can you go to court and plea bargain down? There can't be much else to plea bargain down to.
Old 01-09-2001, 01:07 PM

No ... I just need advise on what I should say!

What I should TRY to have done?? Reduced???

Old 01-09-2001, 04:22 PM

Plead insanity
Old 01-09-2001, 04:59 PM

well

you still have a good ammount of time, perhaps you could see a lawyer?? it would cost a couple hundred bux but 3 points would boost your insurance a couple hundred bucks for 3 years.
Old 01-09-2001, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Explain to the judge that there was an almost identical car in front of yours, and that you believe you were stopped for something he did. Because, as we all know, no one here would ever violate traffic laws.

If it's a your-word-vs-mine situation like that probably will be, then there's a good chance the judge will dismiss it.
Old 01-09-2001, 07:15 PM

lets see if i can be ANY assistance.

I don't know about getting a lawyer for a traffic violation, seems like overkill. I don't know anythign about Canada but I'll assume their laws/processes are the same. If you go to court (DON'T pay the fine that's instantly like pleading guilty) and the cop doesn't show up, then you automatically go away free. This happens a lot of times in their *busy* schedules. Also, I would go with what the other person said, saying that you believe the cop got you mixed up with the other car...and you feel you are innocent. Even if he says your guilty, a lot of times the judge will lower the penalties. I got this info from my friends many traffic violations....

PJ
Old 01-09-2001, 08:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been in court for traffic cases much more than I care to say, but I have learned a few things for sure. It really depends so much on what the judge is like. I have gotten away with murder many more times than I should have as a young driver, but more lately I have been screwed when I really wasn't speeding. I had a legitimate complaint with the basis of my "speeding" ticket, and the judge took the cop's word for everything.. This dumb guy actually believed the officer when he said that he recognized my and my wife's face in the car, on a sunny day, at 60MPH, going the opposite direction 50ft away! I told the judge, truthflly, that a car the same color as mine had passed me about a minute before the cop turned around and turned on his lights. At that speed, I lost sight of the cop for 2-3 minutes before he caught up and pulled me.. He screwed up, and I know it, but what do you do? The best advice I can give is to go dressed nicely, be very friendly with the judge when asked to speak, and ask for driving school, second chance, something. Maybe the judge will charge you the fine, but not cause it to be on your record. That happened to me a couple times.. I'm happy as can be with that, but be carefull, someday you will get burnt.
Old 01-09-2001, 09:53 PM

Agreed... NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER admit to doing it... , and argue on grounds that there was similar vehicle in front of you, which most likely commited the said offense...

-Tom

Originally posted by Weasel
Explain to the judge that there was an almost identical car in front of yours, and that you believe you were stopped for something he did. Because, as we all know, no one here would ever violate traffic laws.

If it's a your-word-vs-mine situation like that probably will be, then there's a good chance the judge will dismiss it.
Old 01-09-2001, 10:16 PM

Big THANX!

Thanx Guys ... I guess thats what I'll be going for!

But we BOTH were pulled over! Ugh!

Should I have a sap story ready?? Like I'm a POOR University Student ... trying to make ends meet ... and the fact that the 3 points will Kill me!!

Which is the truth!!!!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:14 AM
Eman97SE

Re: Big THANX!

Originally posted by Empz
Thanx Guys ... I guess thats what I'll be going for!

But we BOTH were pulled over! Ugh!

Should I have a sap story ready?? Like I'm a POOR University Student ... trying to make ends meet ... and the fact that the 3 points will Kill me!!

Which is the truth!!!!
Naw, don't use a sap story, better to say as little as possible. I'd try to gauge the mood of the judge to see what you can get away with. Hopefully you won't get called first, and you can watch how he acts towards others. I'd definitely mention the other vehicle and that you were ticketed only because by the time the officer pulled you over (3 blocks after the 'supposed' rolling stop), there were now two nearly identical vehicles stopped at the light, and the officer didn't know which one to ticket so he got you both.
You might mention to the judge that since the tickets are sequentially numbered, the one prior or after yours should back up your story of the identical vehicles. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2001, 03:33 PM

Re: Re: Big THANX!

Cool ... So U're saying I should go directly against the cops word???

[/I][/QUOTE]
Naw, don't use a sap story, better to say as little as possible. I'd try to gauge the mood of the judge to see what you can get away with. Hopefully you won't get called first, and you can watch how he acts towards others. I'd definitely mention the other vehicle and that you were ticketed only because by the time the officer pulled you over (3 blocks after the 'supposed' rolling stop), there were now two nearly identical vehicles stopped at the light, and the officer didn't know which one to ticket so he got you both.
You might mention to the judge that since the tickets are sequentially numbered, the one prior or after yours should back up your story of the identical vehicles. Good luck. [/I][/QUOTE]