General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I'm not enjoying my Max..............

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Maxima Princess

ahhh snow That's when having 4 4X4's come in handy...

Old 02-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Hi Sarah! How is the newest member of your family?

Oh yeah, what is snow?

Old 02-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Maxima Princess

He's doing great! I've been meaning to send you a picture. I will get around to it one of these days...
Old 02-18-2003, 04:25 PM

MOve to florida, we love this time of year
Old 02-18-2003, 05:07 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by Sarah99GXE
ahhh snow That's when having 4 4X4's come in handy...

Chevy 4x4 and a Max = perfect combination. Deezo, pick up a
used pickup man, it's great. For heavy snow you might wanna put some
sandbags in the bed to help with traction back there but just when
it is tough. My 88 with BF Goodies tracks through just about
anything the engine can must the power to overcome. I have 206K
miles on it and while it burns oil, it's running hella strong. I'd
HIGHLY recommend getting a pickup - a Chevy in particular.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:11 PM

the highlander is tackling the snow just fine
Old 02-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by gtr_rider

D@Mn right
Old 02-18-2003, 08:58 PM

i drove through most of the storm in my 4x4 maxima. even though i have kuhmo tires.. it was still manageable..
anyone who thinks they can move out of Mass to any southern or western state will end up coming back home.. there's no place better than the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
You would still need some winter tires to go with that AWD.

DW
Not true....Heres some pics of the fun I was having last weekend

Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 PM

Couple more

Old 02-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I drive around Lake Tahoe, CA to snowboard every month or so and I dont seem to have too much trouble with traction. The bigger problem seems to be the lack of clearance and I'm not even lowered. But I do pack up my car pretty good and carry 4 people so my car drops about 1" with my soft@$$ stock springs. I dont think i've been through 20" inches of snow but I've come pretty close. I found the biggest problem to be the poorly maintained parking lots. The bottom scrapes so bad it feels like im riding around on my exhaust and RSB.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Sports Button FTW

i havent taken my car out since school started but i wouldnt feel bad if my car didnt handle well in the snow. It snows like maximum of 3 hard times a year. You gonna get an ugly SUV or truck for that when the other 300+ days u can enjoy the speed, style and charisma of a nissan maxima? i dont think so
Old 02-18-2003, 10:55 PM

Re: Couple more

Shoot. Bring it to my area. 19" of snow AND STEEP HILLS. My neighbor with the Suby Forrester was even cautious.

DW

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Old 02-19-2003, 12:48 AM
GoldenGlory

Re: I'm not enjoying my Max..............

Originally posted by deezo
[not because I drive an auto]

.......driving through all of this damn snow. I almost feel like getting rid of it and the honda and getting a 4X4. Here in MA we had 20" of snow and driving through it was not pretty. At some points throughout my travels, my front tires wouldn't even grab because there was ice building under the snow that was already there (about 4" covering the roads). Pretty embarrassing.

The Sport A2's were good over ice and even on a 2" covered road but on some of the side roads it was rediculous. The front of the car just wanted to slide sideways into the guardrail.

My lady wants to get rid of both cars to get a Volvo XC90 but I want to keep my Max and get a truck. I love my car but if the weather keeps up like this, I'll have to go over my checks and balances to make the right decisions. I know I don't live in an area where it snows too much but I find no pleasure in driving my Max through all of this mess.

All of you lowered guys, how are your cars handling this snow?

my car is dropped stillen lip and boosted

car is locked up on the garage

i had my manager pick me up to go to work
my hood was one of the last ones to be plowed

i had snow up to my headlights on the streetsno way in im driving in that
so went pimpin with my manager in his 2k3 Trooper

by the way we had almost 30inches of snow !

Old 02-19-2003, 04:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I'm not enjoying my Max..............

[not because I drive an auto]
.......driving through all of this damn snow. I almost feel like getting rid of it and the honda and getting a 4X4. Here in MA we had 20" of snow and driving through it was not pretty. At some points throughout my travels, my front tires wouldn't even grab because there was ice building under the snow that was already there (about 4" covering the roads). Pretty embarrassing.
Would you like cheese with that whine, Deez?
Funny how I don't even have snow tires, and I don't have much trouble, except getting up my driveway (60 degree incline).

My car is lowered, on "all season" tires that suck in all seasons. I'm okay.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by joaquink

Chevy 4x4 and a Max = perfect combination. Deezo, pick up a
used pickup man, it's great. For heavy snow you might wanna put some
sandbags in the bed to help with traction back there but just when
it is tough. My 88 with BF Goodies tracks through just about
anything the engine can must the power to overcome. I have 206K
miles on it and while it burns oil, it's running hella strong. I'd
HIGHLY recommend getting a pickup - a Chevy in particular.
Of course Chevy is the best choice We also have an 83 Chevy Scottsdale 4X4, a 79 Ford F150 4X4 and a 73 Dodge PU. We have fun
Old 02-19-2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Sarah99GXE

Of course Chevy is the best choice We also have an 83 Chevy Scottsdale 4X4, a 79 Ford F150 4X4 and a 73 Dodge PU. We have fun
Long time no see...

joaquink: I had a pickup before owning the Max and sandbags really didn't help. The best thing for pickups is to let the snow build up in the bed to add the extra weight. When I did this I never got stuck.

Goldenglory: I was in NYC this past weekend in CI. I broke out of there soon as it started to flurry.

Lime: My car handles fine in the snow but when there's 5 inches on the road because the roads weren't plowed, most 2wd cars have a hard time with it. My Volvo V70 had a problems (even though it had traction control and 1st gear lockout) and the S320 was a deathtrap.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:02 AM

I was in Orlando, FL for a week over New Year's... I want to move there now. Forget this winter crap... I've lived in the Northeast my whole life: PA, NY, MA. I'll deal with the hot humid summers in FL as long as the winter stays nice like it was. I'm seriously thinking about relocating.

I can imagine what it's like for you Deezo in the snow. Actually, I can only imagine because:
1. I went back to the stock suspension in November.
2. I'm currently driving a Mitsubishi Galant that smells like smoke(rental).
3. The Galant was stuck on a Snow Emergency route in Cambridge on Monday, so it got towed. I didn't drive it in the snow.
4. My Max has been in the shop two weeks... long story.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:11 AM

keep the maxima. if you like driving hard or racing, a truck or suv will just be more of a drain.

my winter rig is a 99 Durango 360 with some extras (coughBOTTLEcough). not only do i get crappy gas mileage in the city (12-14 MPG if i'm lucky), but my insurance is almost twice of my maxima since SUV's are considered a premium vehicle.

and before anybody ask why my durango is bottle fed, i bought it like that.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:12 AM
ejj

My car handles fine in the snow but when there's 5 inches on the road because the roads weren't plowed, most 2wd cars have a hard time with it. My Volvo V70 had a problems (even though it had traction control and 1st gear lockout) and the S320 was a deathtrap.
Most winter accidents aren't caused because of a lack of traction "off the line" like you're looking for. They are caused because people fail to realize that you can really only do 1 thing at a time in the snow: accelerate, break or turn. Any combo of them is a recipe for disaster.

I've seen more than my share of winter accidents and people in ditches on the side of the freeway. I can easily say that 75% of them are SUV drivers. They think that 4 wheel drive is all you need to be able to drive however you'd like in the snow. That's not the case, it just helps you get the car moving. Once you're moving however, they aren't that much different.

I've driven both the Max and a Subaru Legacy in the snow a LOT. Yes, the AWD helps to get you moving, but the same physics and problems apply to both once you're rolling.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:34 AM

hye deez.... i heard MA budgets 16Million for snow removal... and so far estimates have this storm season with the latest fall costing over or around 60 million.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:46 AM

That's what my Pathfinder is for.

When I use to drive throught he snow in my Max, I was running on Blizzaks. At that time the car was lowered on Sprints. I had no problems at all. Last year we had a about 8+ inches of snow and I was driving around all day. Didn't get stuck one bit.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:50 AM

I live in Jersey and once I can get to the streets there plowed are are fun but try driving down a 1200ft dirt driveway. I finally got my max started since something is wrong with it got excited(it wouldn't start for a few days)then proceded to try and make it down my half-assed plowed driveway. About 300ft from getting home free I got stuck and slid to the side. Didn't get it unstuck until my neighbor helped me pull it out a few hours later. Car kept drifting to the side until it half buried itself. But I finally got to drive it after having it sit in the driveway for a couple days and it felt so good

Having a 1200ft driveway + a broken lawnmower/plow + 24in of snow = not getting out for a week w/o a truck
Old 02-19-2003, 12:05 PM

I found my dang clear corner hanging this morning. It was under a load of snow. This snow get's annoying after a while
Old 02-19-2003, 12:12 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with you here deezo. I've decided that I'm going to be looking at SUVs for my next car. The only two that I like are the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4, so at least I'll still be in the Nissan family. I drove my car today and it did good, but I had more fun with the 4WD in my dad's Silverado.

I love my Maxima though, so it'll be a while before I sell it. When I do, I'll probably sell it to my brother anyway. He gets his license in a couple years, so maybe he'd let me drive it once in a while if I did go that route.

Later,
-Nick
Old 02-19-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by ru4real

4. My Max has been in the shop two weeks... long story.

You were right behind me a couple of weeks ago on Galavan BLVD.

Ejj: I agree with your statement but when those guy with plow trucks have no idea of how to remove snow from the streets and intersections it make me sick.
Like I was saying before my car is good in the snow and my Sport A2's are good for an all season tire. They do bite good for having the tread pattern that looks like its mainly for rainy conditions. My tires are wide (not good for deep snow) for 15's and when I hit deep snow, I hydroplane when taking off from a stop and on turns (with deep snow).
Old 02-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Maxima Princess

Long time no see...

Hey Deezo I'm still around, I just lurk more than anything right now
Old 02-19-2003, 12:21 PM
ejj

Ejj: I agree with your statement but when those guy with plow trucks have no idea of how to remove snow from the streets and intersections it make me sick.
Like I was saying before my car is good in the snow and my Sport A2's are good for an all season tire. They do bite good for having the tread pattern that looks like its mainly for rainy conditions. My tires are wide (not good for deep snow) for 15's and when I hit deep snow, I hydroplane when taking off from a stop and on turns (with deep snow).
Have you tried snow tires? I had a $200 set (4) of cheap Dunlop snow tires on my 97 GXE (and my mom still has them) and they make the car an absolute tank in the snow. There was nothing that worried me.

I drove through Buffalo snow storms, Vermont's ski region during storms, etc! Nothing phased the car. I felt just as confident driving it as I do the AWD Legacy.

May be an inexpensive solution to your traction problem.

I don't want to sound like an ***, but when it comes to hydroplaning in turns, maybe you just going to fast for the conditions? I find my self sliding from time to time, and its always because I didn't judge my speed for the conditions correctly.

Off the line tends to suck in any 2WD car like you said. However I think a 5sp may help. I get into 2nd geat really quick when the weathers bad (ie - as soon as the car starts to roll). I don't know how an auto handles the snow, but I doubt it does well.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:31 PM

You were right behind me a couple of weeks ago on Galavan BLVD.
Was I driving the Galant? I haven't driven my maxima since Jan. 30.
I'm pretty clueless at recognizing your car, aren't I?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:40 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

A truck won't solve the problem. For that 3-10 times it may snow in the year. You may appreciate having a 4X4.. for the rest of the year, you will hate yourself for possibly paying higher insurance, definately paying far more for gas and having a car that handles worse and just is not as fun to drive on the street.

well..
at least I know I would...

my neighbors have SUVs.. RX300 was stuck, Montero barely made it.. Highlander was stuck..

when it snows this much, not too many cars will help you.
It only took them 1 day to clear most roads.. no one will enjoy driving in weather like this, regardless of what car you have..

I had very bad experiences driving in this weather, but I still love my car
Old 02-19-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
A truck won't solve the problem. For that 3-10 times it may snow in the year. You may appreciate having a 4X4.. for the rest of the year, you will hate yourself for possibly paying higher insurance, definately paying far more for gas and having a car that handles worse and just is not as fun to drive on the street.

well..
at least I know I would...

my neighbors have SUVs.. RX300 was stuck, Montero barely made it.. Highlander was stuck..

when it snows this much, not too many cars will help you.
It only took them 1 day to clear most roads.. no one will enjoy driving in weather like this, regardless of what car you have..

I had very bad experiences driving in this weather, but I still love my car

I'd have to agree here. I don't think it's worth getting a 4x4 for the couple of days of the year that it snows. I don't know, but I don't prefer any SUV over my Max. My cousins have a explorer, pathfinder and durango, but none do the trick for me.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by ejj

Have you tried snow tires? I had a $200 set (4) of cheap Dunlop snow tires on my 97 GXE (and my mom still has them) and they make the car an absolute tank in the snow. There was nothing that worried me.

I drove through Buffalo snow storms, Vermont's ski region during storms, etc! Nothing phased the car. I felt just as confident driving it as I do the AWD Legacy.

May be an inexpensive solution to your traction problem.

I don't want to sound like an ***, but when it comes to hydroplaning in turns, maybe you just going to fast for the conditions? I find my self sliding from time to time, and its always because I didn't judge my speed for the conditions correctly.

Off the line tends to suck in any 2WD car like you said. However I think a 5sp may help. I get into 2nd geat really quick when the weathers bad (ie - as soon as the car starts to roll). I don't know how an auto handles the snow, but I doubt it does well.
I may get snow tires if I rent a storage unit because I don't have a garage. Auto's withoout TC can be tough because you can't really contol the torque unless you use very little pedal to get moving.

Nyce: You also correct.

Jeff: You were in your Max and you cut the u-turn under 93 where we met at CVS to head to Ange's meet in NJ.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:05 PM

thats why I left Montreal even though I liked it there
Old 02-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Maxima Princess

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Consider this thought....

My maxima cost 2 X's as much to insure as it does our 97 Chevy 4X4...and that's with full coverage on both..and the Chevy is also a 3/4 ton with the 454 engine.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 PM

I figure there is probably snow on the main roads 10-15 days a year tops, and most of those days a car with snow tires is just a good as a 4X4. Maybe some snowpack on side streets for a few more days but that is no big deal, particularly if you have snow tires. I can't see choosing a vehicle based on 15 days of the year instead of the other 350.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:37 AM

well if you DON'T have snow tires, and you want to keep the maxima, then definitely go for snow tires. I have a completely different set of wheels/tires for the winter, to minimize the effort I spend "winterizing" the car.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by gtr_rider
and we love hurricane season
Old 02-20-2003, 06:55 AM
Administrator

is that a lake?

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Not true....Heres some pics of the fun I was having last weekend

Old 02-20-2003, 08:18 AM

yea I'm not going anywhere
Old 02-20-2003, 08:33 AM

yea I'm not going anywhere

Quick Reply: I'm not enjoying my Max..............