General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Went to autozone today for free CEL test...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 12:26 PM

Went to autozone today for free CEL test...

The computer said i need o2 sensor? Now are these like a nissan gimmic to pay them, or is this something i should take care of. The guy at autozone said i need 2 of them and there like 77 bills a peice. I have a 97 se.

Also ever sence i bought the car back in 99 the light has been on and off, just last month it was off for a few days then back on again, another reason why.

I have PR intake, budget ypipe i dont know if these affect it or not. People who are smart on this subject please help me out. thank you
Old 02-18-2003, 12:49 PM
aka UNCDooD

here

try doing that but if that doesn't work then buy new 02 sensors and crawl under the car unscrew the old ones and put new ones in.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Went to autozone today for free CEL test...

Originally posted by madmax97
The computer said i need o2 sensor? Now are these like a nissan gimmic to pay them, or is this something i should take care of. The guy at autozone said i need 2 of them and there like 77 bills a peice. I have a 97 se.

Also ever sence i bought the car back in 99 the light has been on and off, just last month it was off for a few days then back on again, another reason why.

I have PR intake, budget ypipe i dont know if these affect it or not. People who are smart on this subject please help me out. thank you
What codes did your car throw?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...Also ever sence i bought the car back in 99 the light has been on and off, just last month it was off for a few days then back on again, another reason why.

My Probe (notorious for eating high $$ O2 sensors) acted like this. After a ride the CEL would light up, I could rev the motor in a specific way and then it would go away. Eventually it would just stay on. Pulled the codes and they pointed to all my O2's.

Make sure to get the CEL numbers from the computer and verify with informed peeps on this board.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:09 PM

I dont know the exact codes i jus went to autozone and a guy came out with this little computer thingy. He plugges it in under my dash and then he said i needed o2 sensors ?

My main concern is what will happen if i ignore it, will it potentially cause further problems that can be very costly. thanks
Old 02-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...My main concern is what will happen if i ignore it, will it potentially cause further problems that can be very costly. thanks
Well, being a sensor that governs fuel/air management in conjunction with the MAF long term effects . I know that fuel mileage will go down due to running rich (possibly) and that could ruin your cat (possibly).

I would say research around for pricing as there are multiple site that reference O2 sensors.

If it was my car, I would replace but I can respect the hefty cost of O2 sensors.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your check engine light is on and has been for a while now.

You watched the guy with a scan tool pull codes that pointed to your o2 sensors.

What more info would you need to believe something (o2 sensors) is wrong with your car? If you read this board you'll see o2's do quit often.

Replace them, I think the price of 77 bucks each is pretty good too.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think i need to replace my o2 sensors too.. not sure.. but the check engine is on and off.. what happens if i don't replace it.. like leave it there for a while?