General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 08:03 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by DanNY

if you're the only one with this problem i'm going to say to check the install.
Make sure the journal AND the oil seal are clean. Then smear a dab of grease or oil around in the seal before the pulley is installed. If your car is an automatic there isn't a good way to get around using the impact wrench. The bolt requires a heft amount of torque so I doubt a 1/2" impact wrench is likely to over torque it.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Make sure the journal AND the oil seal are clean. Then smear a dab of grease or oil around in the seal before the pulley is installed. If your car is an automatic there isn't a good way to get around using the impact wrench. The bolt requires a heft amount of torque so I doubt a 1/2" impact wrench is likely to over torque it.
i also called the RVM and they said that it's leaking due to usage of air gun ... but i kept on explaining to them that it's was due to the fact that UDP is made of aluminum and it didn't have steel sleeves to protect it from oil seal which made a circular indentation all around the UDP.... but they kept saying it's due to air tool... bump...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by ][ 35

i also called the RVM and they said that it's leaking due to usage of air gun ... but i kept on explaining to them that it's was due to the fact that UDP is made of aluminum and it didn't have steel sleeves to protect it from oil seal which made a circular indentation all around the UDP.... but they kept saying it's due to air tool... bump...
have them explain to u how tightening the bolt too much can damage the lip
Old 04-11-2003, 10:29 AM

I am trying to make sense about the whole thing before I install this pulley.

The stock pulley has a steel ring around it, so does the pulley from Unorthodox Racing. The one that's from Definitive Motorsport comes with bronze bushing. The one from RVM does not come with anything.

Wear on the pulley surface is caused by (correct me if I am wrong here) having the pulley rubbing another hard surface while rotating.

Now, the one that does not make sense is this:

How could aluminum could have grooves from rubbing with rubber oil seal?

I understand that this would be possible if the pulley was rubbing with steel surface or something, but with rubber??

have them explain to u how tightening the bolt too much can damage the lip
Old 04-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by ardika

I understand that this would be possible if the pulley was rubbing with steel surface or something, but with rubber??

exactly what i'm asking. that's why it's leading me to believe it's installer error or it was installed over a bad oil seal.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is it possible to reuse the stock sleeve??
Old 04-11-2003, 10:55 AM

DanNY,

I was thinking the same thing too.
But now that I have said that, why the stock pulley and the ones from Definitive/Unorthodox has the rings?

Another thing, if the pulley has scratches, the installer *might* overtighten the bolt (or do something else) that makes the pulley sit un-evenly on the crankshaft.

Perhaps this is the culprit...

exactly what i'm asking. that's why it's leading me to believe it's installer error or it was installed over a bad oil seal.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:49 AM

i don't know b/c my machanic told me those oil seals are pretty hard

and they are capable of eating through those soft aluminum....

and if enough time is giving it can make those marks on steel UDP also... that is why older chevy cars just replace it by replacing the steel sleves on the UDP then changing out the UDP...
Old 04-11-2003, 12:15 PM

This is interesting

So basically the pulley would be eaten no matter what (but the rate is much slower with the steel ones.

Do you guys know which one is harder, bronze or steel? (I forgot my Material Science class from college years...).

My oil seal is on the way to my apartment. I will see how hard is the seal.

I could say that incorrect belt tension could be attributed to this problem as well, causing the pulley to be "pushed" to one side instead putting it straight on the crankshaft. This would contribute uneven wear along the edges (correct me if I am wrong, I am just trying to make sense of what happens here).

i don't know b/c my machanic told me those oil seals are pretty hard

and they are capable of eating through those soft aluminum....

and if enough time is giving it can make those marks on steel UDP also... that is why older chevy cars just replace it by replacing the steel sleves on the UDP then changing out the UDP...
Old 04-11-2003, 12:19 PM

Re: This is interesting

It seems that I am answering my own question here:

][/QUOTE]Copper alloys have excellent wear characteristics against steel surfaces. The broad family of aluminum bronze and nickel-aluminum bronze alloys in both wrought and cast form offer the best combinations of resistance to wear, abrasion, fatigue, deformation and corrosion. Recommended applications include slides, gibs, wear plates, mold locking devices, sleeve bearings, guide pin bushings, lifter blades, ejector sleeves and pins, and rotating mold components.

from this website:

Copper.org
Old 04-11-2003, 12:20 PM

but when i had my RVM UDP removed due to oil leak...

my UDP had nice round and even indentation around the UDP

and the oil seal was in perfect condition since it has only been used like 3 month... but i still replaced it brand new one since i already had one to replace it with stock pulley incase the oil seal was bad.... but it wasn't the case...
Old 04-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: This is interesting

It seems that I am answering my own question here:

]
Copper alloys have excellent wear characteristics against steel surfaces. The broad family of aluminum bronze and nickel-aluminum bronze alloys in both wrought and cast form offer the best combinations of resistance to wear, abrasion, fatigue, deformation and corrosion. Recommended applications include slides, gibs, wear plates, mold locking devices, sleeve bearings, guide pin bushings, lifter blades, ejector sleeves and pins, and rotating mold components.

from this website:

Copper.org
[/QUOTE]

copper is an excellent bushing for wear and etc since copper tends to have lubricating properties...but copper is soft and under heavy load copper will fail.

belt tension sounds more realistic. it's constantly pulling on one direction...while it spins it's going to wear a groove.

if you have an oil seal pick it up and look at it.
the "lip" of the seal where it would hit the actual crank is soft. behind that there's a spring retainer that keeps a light pressure/tension on the lip. the outter edge there it sits on it's housing is metal covered w/ rubber.

if you're at the point where you're at the outter lip..you car should be leaking oil like crazy. that's the only point where i would see the pulley getting damaged.

99maxi - no it's not possible to reuse the stock sleeve.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:51 PM

i guess i'll be careful installing mine. how fast does it wear out? miles?
Old 04-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Banned

I am trying to make sense about the whole thing before I install this pulley.

The stock pulley has a steel ring around it, so does the pulley from Unorthodox Racing. The one that's from Definitive Motorsport comes with bronze bushing. The one from RVM does not come with anything.

The RVM pulley has the same steel ring around it that the UR one does, I have owned both and they look identical and neither one has caused any oil leaks.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:34 PM

That means the oil seal is actually putting enough pressure to "push" that part of your UDP to create that indentation.

Harder metal is required then.

but when i had my RVM UDP removed due to oil leak...

my UDP had nice round and even indentation around the UDP

and the oil seal was in perfect condition since it has only been used like 3 month... but i still replaced it brand new one since i already had one to replace it with stock pulley incase the oil seal was bad.... but it wasn't the case...
Old 04-11-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Jime

The RVM pulley has the same steel ring around it that the UR one does, I have owned both and they look identical and neither one has caused any oil leaks.
i don't know about u... but when i got my RVM Pulley... mine didn't have those steel ring around it to protect it..... was i suppose get it? did anyone else get this steel ring around it when they got the RVM UDP ?
Old 04-11-2003, 01:43 PM

did u take a look at the pics in the earlier posts?? did yours look like that?? beacuase where the arrow is, is where the steel sleeve should be..
Old 04-11-2003, 01:45 PM

jime,

This is my *actual* RVM pulley, and there is no metal around it.

][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ][ 35
[B]

i don't know about u... but when i got my RVM Pulley... mine didn't have those steel ring around it to protect it..... was i suppose get it? did anyone else get this steel ring around it when they got the RVM UDP ? [/B
Old 04-11-2003, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: This is interesting

copper is an excellent bushing for wear and etc since copper tends to have lubricating properties...but copper is soft and under heavy load copper will fail.

belt tension sounds more realistic. it's constantly pulling on one direction...while it spins it's going to wear a groove.

if you have an oil seal pick it up and look at it.[/B]
I agree with you on the assessment of the copper. If I am putting a lot of pressure on it, it would not stand. However, in this case, I don't think the copper would not be able to withstand the pressure of the seal (I might be wrong here, I am going home in an hour or so and I will look at my oil seal).

Belt tension is very likely to be the cause (rather than rubber putting tons of pressure on the sleeve causing it an abnormal wear within 3 months).

Armand
Old 04-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ardika
[B]jime,

][/QUOTE

The RVM pulley has a metal timing ring around the outside the same as the UR one, they are identical.

There is no other metal on the UR either other than the timing ring just the the RVM one. I have had both, there is NO difference. There is nothing on the UR pulley where the shaft slides on, it is aluminum all the way through. The only steel is the timing ring.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:00 PM

Jime,

It's not the timing ring. Please go back to DanNY post (on page 2/3 probably) and look at the arrow. It's where the thing starts to wear.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jime
[B]
jime,

][/QUOTE

The RVM pulley has a metal timing ring around the outside the same as the UR one, they are identical.

There is no other metal on the UR either other than the timing ring just the the RVM one. I have had both, there is NO difference. There is nothing on the UR pulley where the shaft slides on, it is aluminum all the way through. The only steel is the timing ring.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Banned

Jime,

It's not the timing ring. Please go back to DanNY post (on page 2/3 probably) and look at the arrow. It's where the thing starts to wear.

I hear you but the UR one is identical. There is no steel on it either.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:09 PM

I hear you but the UR one is identical. There is no steel on it either.

that is a pic of the UR pulley.. it does have the sleeve..
Old 04-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 99maxi

My Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley has no sleeve like that, it was pure aluminum all the way, other than the timing ring.

Either they changed their design since I bought mine last year or that is not a UR pulley.

Did YOU take that picture, can you confirm that it is a UR pulley?
Old 04-11-2003, 02:22 PM

My Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley has no sleeve like that, it was pure aluminum all the way, other than the timing ring.

Either they changed their design since I bought mine last year or that is not a UR pulley.

Did YOU take that picture, can you confirm that it is a UR pulley?
i can't confirm but it was in this thread...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=pulley
Old 04-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Banned

i can't confirm but it was in this thread...
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=pulley
I have read that thread and I rest my case.

I have owned both pullies and have installed both, the are virtually identical and neither have that steel sleeve.

Please don't post info you don't know about from first hand experience, all sorts of people get led astray from this type information.

Just because its in a thread don't make it true.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:23 PM

I have read that thread and I rest my case.

I have owned both pullies and have installed both, the are virtually identical and neither have that steel sleeve.

Please don't post info you don't know about from first hand experience, all sorts of people get led astray from this type information.

Just because its in a thread don't make it true.
What color is your UR pulley?
Old 04-11-2003, 09:35 PM

that link for $115 is not the UR pulley. I was going to purchase that pulley, but didn't know its results. they just started making the pulley(i think) and i'll have to see how my pulley looks when it comes in.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Sports Button FTW

jesus christ, i hear so many problems with these aftermarket pulley's i'll never get one, F that....sorry u guys went throught he drama
Old 04-12-2003, 05:59 AM

This picture is definitely the UR Pulley and you can clearly see the bushing or sleeve on it. However on a uncolored pulley the sleeve and the pulley look almost exactly alike and you have to look very closely to see where one ends and the other begins. I have such a pulley, uninstalled right next to me as I type this. I couldn't tell you about the RVM, but from the picture posted I don't see the sleeve.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by meccanoble
jesus christ, i hear so many problems with these aftermarket pulley's i'll never get one, F that....sorry u guys went throught he drama
Remember, the guys with the problems with the RVM pullies, not UR pullies.

Also, my black UR pulley that was installed 1.5 years ago DID have the "ring" pictured above.

Dave
Old 04-12-2003, 08:43 PM

once i get hold of the digital camera...i'll take a pic of my rvm udp
and show u where the wear is... which is causing the leak and there is no damage to the oil seal itself........
Old 04-13-2003, 07:48 AM

Ok I have an RVM and am freaking out right now. Now did anyone else have this problem? Please post if you did.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:58 PM

Does that mean no one else had this problem since no one replied?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:18 PM

well i had the problem with it... trying to get hold of digi cam so i can take a picture to show the dent made by oil seal...
Old 04-14-2003, 03:27 PM

Anybody have a cheap solution to the problem like protesting rvm and having them fix the problem. Cause i really want to have a lightened UDP ans was going to have all my stuff intalled in 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by 96max5sp
Anybody have a cheap solution to the problem like protesting rvm and having them fix the problem. Cause i really want to have a lightened UDP ans was going to have all my stuff intalled in 2 to 3 weeks.
get the steel sleeves that we are talking about.....
Old 04-14-2003, 07:11 PM

I uninstalled my rvm pulley last week and the rough starts and check engine light is all gone. it was a cranksensor code. the timing ring was there it was the same size of the stock pulley but the ecu still got a code. I asked for help from rvm and all they said was realigned it again reinstall blah blah blah. in two word emails. Anyone know the solution of even installing it on the car?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe
I uninstalled my rvm pulley last week and the rough starts and check engine light is all gone. it was a cranksensor code. the timing ring was there it was the same size of the stock pulley but the ecu still got a code. I asked for help from rvm and all they said was realigned it again reinstall blah blah blah. in two word emails. Anyone know the solution of even installing it on the car?
how long did u have it installed?? did u notice and wear on the part where the oil seal is??
Old 04-14-2003, 08:29 PM

okay here is the pic..... sorry about the lighting..

as u can see where the oil seal kind of damage the UDP that is why u need the steel sleeve to protect it...

this is how i got the UDP well w/o the dent made by the oil seal...... nothing to protect the soft aluminum....

Quick Reply: RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!