General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

bizarre keyless behavior...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 07:26 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

bizarre keyless behavior...

get this, my remote works everywhere, but at home. I mean, I can unlock the car from another planet but when I get home, in my driveway, I can't even hold the remote over the windshield and unlock it. Our pathfinder is not affected at all.

It's worked fine for 3+ years. Only this weekend did it stop reponding. I swapped plugs this weekend, and I did the first coil with the battery still connected. After that, I removed the neg terminal and continued on.. I'm not sure how that would affect anything, but its the only thing that happened this weekend. All SECU functions are fine.

Yeah, I've checked fuses, relays, swapped remotes and new batts. And again, it works flawlessly when I'm not home. I unplugged my cordless phones and wireless network, nothing... Even turned off my flood/motion detectors around the house.

so... at this point it seems that there is interference. I've parked near large antennas/dishes (like on a parking deck) and had reduced range. But *nothing* like this.

Anyone know of any equipment that may cause this? I've lived there for 5 years and never seen my neighbor, at this point I'm ready to accept that he's an ET trying to phone home and his umbrella transponder is the problem :/ I will try to bait him with Reece's Pieces.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hmm....how odd. Sounds like interference from some other source. Neighbors or if you live near an industrial area, possibly something from there.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:40 AM

nope, residential as can be..
Old 04-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Try to reprogram your car to your remotes.

Get in the car, lock doors with the button on the door, key in and out 10X.. bla bla bla.

See if that gets it going again.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:51 AM

I could... but my remotes work fine everywhere else.. I mean, they work for 1/2 a block if I'm not at home. Its freaky..

Being that the Pathfinder isnt affected at home is even more bizarre.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by TimW
I could... but my remotes work fine everywhere else.. I mean, they work for 1/2 a block if I'm not at home. Its freaky..

Being that the Pathfinder isnt affected at home is even more bizarre.
And "both" of your remotes behave the same. Not the PF and Max but both for the Max?

I had a good chuckle on the Reece Pieces bit...

[edit] Just thought of this... what freq is the Max transmittor compared to the PF? Might help you locate what "might" be on your band.[/edit]
Old 04-10-2003, 08:08 AM

yeah, both remotes do the same thing. In fact, my other remote has been in a drawer for 3 years, I put a new battery in it just to be sure and I'm using it now.. same thing.

ooooouch *touches maxima*
Old 04-10-2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by Colonel
[edit] Just thought of this... what freq is the Max transmittor compared to the PF? Might help you locate what "might" be on your band.[/edit]
Dunno, got them both summer of 99.. although having swapped the batts between the remotes (first thing I tried), they have a different design inside.. I can see a chip in the PF remote, the inside of the max remote is just the back of the circuit board (No chips visible).
Old 04-10-2003, 08:14 AM

btw, I'm kinda worried about strolling into service (extended) and demanding a new SECU. I have 2k2 HIDs and I'm sure they will call me on that.. Although I checked all that wiring and its all operating fine. Position of the headlight switch has no effect.

But probably the hardest part about getting a new SECU is that at the dealer, the remotes will work fine. :/ Maybe I can get the service writer to drop by the house, yeah rrright...
Old 04-10-2003, 08:19 AM

The battery ion the remote would be my only good guess. Maybe it's something witht the wiring in the car.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:22 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

btw, I'm kinda worried about strolling into service (extended) and demanding a new SECU. I have 2k2 HIDs and I'm sure they will call me on that.. Although I checked all that wiring and its all operating fine. Position of the headlight switch has no effect.

But probably the hardest part about getting a new SECU is that at the dealer, the remotes will work fine. :/ Maybe I can get the service writer to drop by the house, yeah rrright...
Ok..ET...Phooooooooone Hoooooooooome.

I am not convinced that a SECU is really needed. I do think something is "choking" the signal. I do have a retarded idea though .

Take the Max. While at work while car is running, push the "lock" button on your remote (make sure the doors are already locked). If you hear the relay click, then we are good to go. Drive to your house. While car is running in driveway, push lock. I expect nothing. But start to drive down the street and continue to "push" the lock button until you hear the relay click. I would go in both directions from your home. This will give you and idea of the "range" of the problem.

I have a feeling someone bought a new "phone" and it just happens to mess your Max up. Remember these new funky phones transmit for looong ranges. This reaction could be a side effect. The fact that it works no problem away from you house should show that your SECU is not the problem. At least I think that...

[edit] I forgot to say on the remote[/edit]
Old 04-10-2003, 08:35 AM

AP - 04/10/2003
Area Residents Perplexed By Smashed Phones
Local residents were stunned yesterday when they came home to find their cordless phones destroyed. At first burglary was suspected, but nothing was reported stolen. One local resident was so disgusted by this act that he offered to replace any phones that were broken by the mystery intruder...
Old 04-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

AP - 04/10/2003
Local residents were stunned yesterday when they came home to find their cordless phones destroyed. At first burglary was suspected, but nothing was reported stolen. One local resident was so disgusted by this act that he offered to replace any phones that were broken by the mystery intruder...
Old 04-10-2003, 08:56 AM

AP - 04/10/2003
BWahahahahahaha! That is TOO funny!

I know that in Merrifield, in Northern Virginia, the remote on my Dodge Caravan doesn't work. There's a huge broadcast tower nearby that just obliterates the signal.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:50 AM

maybe the remote thats in your drawer is causing problems
and thats why your having problems near your house
try to bring both remotes away from your house and see if thats it.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by tecman4
maybe the remote thats in your drawer is causing problems
and thats why your having problems near your house
try to bring both remotes away from your house and see if thats it.
I'll take the battery out of other remote and see if that does something.

If that doesnt work, its time for the tin foil suit!