General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 08:31 AM

It's really about the weight ratio to engine displacement. Our 3.0 can take quite a reduction in rotational mass and still be fun to drive with easy engagement and smoothness. I know with the 2.0 Sentra's the lightened flywheel is a very good mod for performance and practicality. However, for the 1.6L Sentra...you get all sorts of clutch chatter, stalls, and heat on the clutch...since the engagement is so unforgiving. Talked with a bunch of Nissan tuners and they say a 3.0L should have no problem at all.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went

Originally posted by maxman00

If the UR flywheel is lighter, what is the advantage to the Fidanza, if any?? Build quality? Cheaper? This is not to say that lighter is better, because that is not always the case.
The more mass you reduce the more difficulty shifting/rpm matching/etc... If you drag race, then the OEM flywheel is better, since the mass keeps your RPMs into the next gear. However, if you want better throttle response for autocross/daily driving, you'll want a lighter rotating mass. At least for NA. The Fidanza is kind of in the middle of the two, so that's why I was going with the Fidanza. I'm just wondering if you are turbo, whether the faster response of the lighter flywheel, ie quicker to boost, will offset the RPM carryover into the next gear. Hmmmmn.

Kev has the the UR and so do others, it's not that bad, but requires you to change your shifting habits. However, with the Fidanza the shifting change is not really noticeable.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:32 AM

everyone here with the Fidanza, any updates on how things are going with it? any problems?
Old 05-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only problem I am having is the car is just not letting me get to the gas station as often since is a great gas saver. Car is running 13's consistently great MOD for the money I regret not doing it sooner
Old 05-09-2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by JAY25
The only problem I am having is the car is just not letting me get to the gas station as often since is a great gas saver. Car is running 13's consistently great MOD for the money I regret not doing it sooner
any dyno charts? how much does this shave of the 1/4? like .4? Im just guessing
Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by Nismo
everyone here with the Fidanza, any updates on how things are going with it? any problems?
I've had mine in since August of last year. I liked it right off the bat and think you will too. Since then I've made more changes to my car than I have time to list so I can't comment on how it feels as a standalone mode. I do recall being very happy with it after the install and I do recall my installer saying it seemed to be of better quality than other aftermarket flywheels he's looked at.

Cheers,

JK
Old 05-10-2003, 05:36 AM

I have not dynoed, all I can tell you is the car pulls much harder then it did before. That was the last MOD I did on my car. Best Mod for the money. Between a ME VI and a Flywheel, Ill take the flywheel
Old 05-10-2003, 07:58 AM

Just got my flywheel in the mail yesterday so I hope to have it installed very soon, just got to find some free time now.

Is there anyway to tell if it is the right one before I drop the tranny? I mean it just came in a box from fidanza?

It is a lot bigger and heavier than I thought, but I guess I haven't felt the stock one yet?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:20 AM

is not that light they just shaved a couple of lbs off not much. I dont know how much lighter is the Muellers/stillens etc..
Old 05-20-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

DaveB. The reason why your revs drop faster is that the UR unit is 3 times lighter than the the steel stocker and is close to 2 times lighter than the Fidanza. I'm not sure if I would use a flywheel that's only 5-6 lbs. At 11lbs, I think the Fidanza is the best compromise for revability and daily driving. It's almost 50% lighter than stock and everyone reports that the daily driving has not suffered at all.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
DaveB. The reason why your revs drop faster is that the UR unit is 3 times lighter than the the steel stocker and is close to 2 times lighter than the Fidanza. I'm not sure if I would use a flywheel that's only 5-6 lbs. At 11lbs, I think the Fidanza is the best compromise for revability and daily driving. It's almost 50% lighter than stock and everyone reports that the daily driving has not suffered at all.

he got that right

Jeff how do you like your alloy flywheel?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:43 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Also, supposedly with the UR flywheel you can't use an UDP without driveablility/CEL problems, but I'd bet you can with the Fidanza since the combo is still not as light as 5-6lbs., more like 8lbs.. Not sure if that scenario makes sense cost wise though.

What's the cost difference between the UR, Fidanza, and Stealin?
Old 05-20-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Also, supposedly with the UR flywheel you can't use an UDP without driveablility/CEL problems, but I'd bet you can with the Fidanza since the combo is still not as light as 5-6lbs., more like 8lbs.. Not sure if that scenario makes sense cost wise though.

over $100.00
Old 05-20-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

Jeff how do you like your alloy flywheel?
I like looking at it. I probably won't install it for awhile

Retail? Dunno. From me(Fidanza)? I'm either the cheapest or damn close to the cheapest.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:54 PM

Retail? Dunno. From me(Fidanza)? I'm either the cheapest or damn close to the cheapest.

Yeah, your price(sorry I forget and don't have access to FS forum) vs. the typical .orgY UR or Stealin price.

Basically, from Jay's statement, it sounds like the Definitive UDP and the Fidanza may be worthwhile or if you already have the UDP and don't want to give up the reduced lag with the A/C at non-WOT.

Just an idea, probably not a good one.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

I wouldn't run such a light flywheel period. But in Dave's defense, he might have bought the only one available at the time(or didn't know how a 5-6lb unit would perform).

Price(Fidanza). from what I see on the net. Most guys want $350-$400 + shipping. I'm selling them for $325+shipping. Or $350-ish SHIPPED. I even waive the paypal fee (only about $10) if you guys what to go that route because of scheduling or urgent orders.

Pricing on the other units(UR Stillen/Mueller etc) on the net? Try $450-$550 plus shipping

Yeah, your price(sorry I forget and don't have access to FS forum) vs. the typical .orgY UR or Stealin price.

Basically, from Jay's statement, it sounds like the Definitive UDP and the Fidanza may be worthwhile or if you already have the UDP and don't want to give up the reduced lag with the A/C at non-WOT.

Just an idea, probably not a good one.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:53 PM

the flywheel sitting in your bedroom does you no justice, you know you just dont want to drop the tranny to put it in. Drop it is not that bad trust me, I dropped two back to back is not that bad believe me is not.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Jay, I've done about 5 tranny drops(2 on my bro's car) and about 3 on my car(for various reasons-clutch job-redo because of key value parts are crap!-blown engine swap, act install etc..) I've also done lots of engine work and an engine swap.

Now 2 months ago, someone rearended me and I had to buy ANOTHER 5-sp VE. So I just got done converting this one to black leather(from my other car) and doing various crap. I'm freakin' burnt out! hehe

the flywheel sitting in your bedroom does you no justice, you know you just dont want to drop the tranny to put it in. Drop it is not that bad trust me, I dropped two back to back is not that bad believe me is not.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Ramius83

Psssssss, I just got a Fidanza Flywheel off of eBay, new, shipped to my door 2nd day air for $280.00.......

Old 05-20-2003, 04:38 PM

Jay, I've done about 5 tranny drops(2 on my bro's car) and about 3 on my car(for various reasons-clutch job-redo because of key value parts are crap!-blown engine swap, act install etc..) I've also done lots of engine work and an engine swap.

Now 2 months ago, someone rearended me and I had to buy ANOTHER 5-sp VE. So I just got done converting this one to black leather(from my other car) and doing various crap. I'm freakin' burnt out! hehe

I sat on my flywheel for about a month. I feel you about been so burnt. I got like that at one point for winter time. I had so much to do my wife go ****ed off at me she said I am always working on a car. Everytime I turn around a cars pulling up to my drive way and I could not turn people around. Heck I even have people driving from far away to come this way. I dont complain I like working on cars It relaxes me quite a bit.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:56 PM

OK so the clutch died today and so I am about to decide which flywheel to go with- I got the unorthodox UDP... Does that mean I will have problems if I go with a 5 lb or 7 lb flywheel?

Im not concerned about revs dropping quickly- I can deal with that with a bit of gas during the the shift-

Just worried about CELs or other issues... Whats the concensus here please help out I also need to buy quick. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2004, 02:04 PM

I know VE's dont have a problem running a UDP + Lightweight flywheel, and I know there has to be a few VQ's out there running around with similiar setups too.

It's funny you bumped this thread, I've got a friend taking a 4-5hour drive up and tonight I'm putting in his Fidanza/ACT combo, lol. He left his house about 30mins ago
Old 02-21-2004, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
I know VE's dont have a problem running a UDP + Lightweight flywheel, and I know there has to be a few VQ's out there running around with similiar setups too.

It's funny you bumped this thread, I've got a friend taking a 4-5hour drive up and tonight I'm putting in his Fidanza/ACT combo, lol. He left his house about 30mins ago
Wishin I was that guy right about now... Thats really nice of you.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:09 PM

http://digitalbeta.net/images/chrisclutchwork.jpg

hehehehe, The problem is by the time I get to the point of dropping the tranny, the engine will probably still be pretty dang warm so maybe I'll let him drive my car around alittle, get some dinner or something, lol.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:51 PM
brotherhood of tq

I also have a udp and i want to get a lightened flywheel, but i would like to get the 5 pound one from ur. Does anybody kno of any problems with buying one for thier car if the flywheel is that light? Also would the hp increase be that much more with a 5lb one over the 10 or so lb one?
Old 02-22-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I also have a udp and i want to get a lightened flywheel, but i would like to get the 5 pound one from ur. Does anybody kno of any problems with buying one for thier car if the flywheel is that light? Also would the hp increase be that much more with a 5lb one over the 10 or so lb one?
According to the Stillen catalog you gain approximately 6 HP for a flywheel that is 4.5 lbs less than stock. So it might stand to reason that one that is 9 lbs less than stock would give you 12 HP... The big question is what does the stock flywheel weigh... Thats proably in this thread somewhere...

EDIT: yea someone said its about 18.5 lbs. Optomistically, you might get 15 HP with the 5 lb-er... Thats the one I want now, of course...
Old 02-22-2004, 08:30 PM
brotherhood of tq

so i guess its ok for me to run a 5lb flywheel with a underdrive pulley?
Old 02-22-2004, 08:42 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
so i guess its ok for me to run a 5lb flywheel with a underdrive pulley?

Yes, it can be done. I'm not certain what effects it will have during every day drivability, but it will be nice to have an engine that is very responsive...
Old 02-23-2004, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
According to the Stillen catalog you gain approximately 6 HP for a flywheel that is 4.5 lbs less than stock. So it might stand to reason that one that is 9 lbs less than stock would give you 12 HP... The big question is what does the stock flywheel weigh... Thats proably in this thread somewhere...

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I would stick with the Fidanza...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 AM

At the risk of sounding like a real jack@ss, I dont see what the problem is with all this "driveability" stuff. I would imagine that it would be a easy transition to a 5 lb flywheel...

All you gotta learn to do is give it a drop more gas during the shift, right? I mean, unless I am missing something like its just WAAAAY to hard to modulate (?) it doesnt seem that big a deal and its possibly another 8-10 HP for about the same price, since the 5 lb flywheel is $400 at Stillen.com....

Someone correct me if I am way off on this- thanks...
(in other words, you have my permission to FLAME ON)
Old 02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

Think about what the flywheel does. Why is it so heavy in the first place? It's an energy storage device. Like a capacitor. It allows for much easier shifting from a standstill and inbetween shifts. As the unit gets lighter, the harder shifting becomes. Let's say you are on a steep hill, with 3-4 people in your car. And you have someone right up agaist your **** behind you. Good luck getting getting going w/o 1) Stalling it 2) Burining up the clutch 3) Stalling and hitting the guy behind you 4) Doing a NHRA style burnout

Try to understand the flywheels function and then think about the replies and your question. Should help.

At the risk of sounding like a real jack@ss, I dont see what the problem is with all this "driveability" stuff. I would imagine that it would be a easy transition to a 5 lb flywheel...

All you gotta learn to do is give it a drop more gas during the shift, right? I mean, unless I am missing something like its just WAAAAY to hard to modulate (?) it doesnt seem that big a deal and its possibly another 8-10 HP for about the same price, since the 5 lb flywheel is $400 at Stillen.com....

Someone correct me if I am way off on this- thanks...
(in other words, you have my permission to FLAME ON)
Old 02-23-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Think about what the flywheel does. Why is it so heavy in the first place? It's an energy storage device. Like a capacitor. It allows for much easier shifting from a standstill and inbetween shifts. As the unit gets lighter, the harder shifting becomes. Let's say you are on a steep hill, with 3-4 people in your car. And you have someone right up agaist your **** behind you. Good luck getting getting going w/o 1) Stalling it 2) Burining up the clutch 3) Stalling and hitting the guy behind you 4) Doing a NHRA style burnout

Try to understand the flywheels function and then think about the replies and your question. Should help.
I guess what I am saying is if you got better than average driving ability, and concentrate when you drive, you probably will be able to manage it w/o

1) Stalling it 2) Burining up the clutch 3) Stalling and hitting the guy behind you 4) Doing a NHRA style burnout

But maybe thats overconfidence speaking... I can see your point about being on a hill with a full car causing a difficult situation. Perhaps that would be a time for the e-brake

going to 5lb flywheel doesnt make the assembly go to 5 lbs as it attaches to the stock element in there. So you perhaps lose 40-50% of the mass. I honestly think that you have to be a rather clunky driver to not be able to learn to adjust to it. Plus there are a few peeps who are using it and they havent mentioned any problems...
Old 02-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I have the findanza and got it through Jeff. I don't have any real issues with driveability but don't think I would want to go much lighter. When shifting at high rpm's you can't be lazy about it or your rpm's will drop past the where you will enter the next gear. But my thinking is that if I am shifting at 7K rpm's then there is no reason for me to be lazy abou it because if I am taking the car that far into my rpm band I must be racing.

It took me no time at all to get used to the findanza flywheel, and now that I am used to it other cars feel so hard to rev.

I like the mod and do not regret it, but I also don't feel that I gained anything in the 1/4 mile with it. But that is really hard to judge because my car was going through other issues the time I went to the track before and after the flywheel install. I do like the fact that I can rev match real easy when down shifting, that is a plus.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

With practice, an ULTRALIGHT flywheel can be driven around I'm sure. But unless you get the launch PERFECT(ie.. on a hill with passengers,) you WILL do one of the 3. Unfortunately you won't believe me until you have it installed. The Fidanza is 1/2 the stock weight. Pretty much no driveablity problems. But you can tell it's lighter and you can tell if you go any lighter, the small problems will get exponentially greater. Now the Unorthodox unit is HALF the Fidanza weight. Think about that.

I don't care if you get one or not. I've said my opinion on the matter. If you still want one, feel free and good luck. I'm just here so you make an informed decision.

I guess what I am saying is if you got better than average driving ability, and concentrate when you drive, you probably will be able to manage it w/o

1) Stalling it 2) Burining up the clutch 3) Stalling and hitting the guy behind you 4) Doing a NHRA style burnout

But maybe thats overconfidence speaking... I can see your point about being on a hill with a full car causing a difficult situation. Perhaps that would be a time for the e-brake

going to 5lb flywheel doesnt make the assembly go to 5 lbs as it attaches to the stock element in there. So you perhaps lose 40-50% of the mass. I honestly think that you have to be a rather clunky driver to not be able to learn to adjust to it. Plus there are a few peeps who are using it and they havent mentioned any problems...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:14 PM
brotherhood of tq

does anyone know of somebody who has a ud pulley and a 5lb flywheel installed on thier car so we could ask them wat they think of it?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just exactly how difficult/time consuming is it to drop the tranny? I've done minor work to my car myself (CV Axles, Strut/Springs, Y-Pipe, Cat-Back) and am contemplating getting Flywheel or MEVI. I'm leaning towards the flywheel since I also have a leak in my rear engine seal. Also wondering if anyone has replaced that? I would like to do the work myself so input/suggestions would be helpful.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:46 AM
UCF Lexus

Bout to order mine