General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 12:52 AM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by hlh0501

and if i was hiding i am pretty sure I would just check "yes" to the option "Invisible Mode? Selecting yes allows you to surf the forums without appearing in the 'Logged In Users' list." in the control panel, or simply log out?
I can say amen to this, you are always on the west coast.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Sports Button FTW

i'm surprised how this thread became 11 pages in one day...
Old 05-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Jer

Hal...

I have to say that if I spent $4000 and I wanted to maintain good product support from the installer/manufacturer, then I'd tell everyone that I'm happy with the product and would put all other issues under the carpet from the public - with expectations of having my problems resolved. It's just a matter of proper business sense... if I were in Dixit's shoes and had to spend an extra 50% of the initial cost to get the product running, I would be pursuing this with legal counsel and my financial institution.

He (Bigdog) drove away happy at 5am with 600miles to cover, likely quite tired - and quite frankly because he drove away without any kinks visible to the tired soul doesn't mean that there wouldn't be any popping up down the road. For example, how many people here have had a slight oil seepage from their oil return plate on a s/c install? Bottom line - some things won't be visible after a little bit of time on the road - not right off the bat.

Second point : I'm currently supercharged and have entertained the possibilities of going the turbo route down the road. Just by looking at the quality of work on these cars (bag/dix), I've got warning bells ringing in my head. You see that scuffed heat wrap in bagz's pic? Well, it's pretty much self explanatory - there is not enough clearance. You're not putting a turbocharger on a Diablo VT which already has 2 inches of clearance off the pavement. The welds... the oil line.. the fact that dixit's car overheated after running idle for a few minutes.. doesn't any of this CONCERN you? Come up with one explanation of how all of this is a result of environmental factors out of you/your shop's post-install control?

Hal, you owe some people here an apology for their hassles, and at the least you can compensate your fellow club member for the charges they have to incur in parts and labour to make things right with YOUR kit (it is yours because you sold it to them). I think that's what Dixit was talking about when he said $6000. Even a partial gesture or demonstration of willingness to help would be a step in the right direction for you - nobody is blaming you for the problems involved in a new/customized kit - they just expect you to stand behind the product.

Your actions and/or responses to this will ultimately dictate the future of your business, it's as simple as that.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:22 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Old 05-06-2003, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well Hal, I dont believe youve contacted me about some of my issues. You want me to QUOTE what you wrote about the fan? Yea I log everything. HLH0501: that i do not know the answer to.. i simply put do not have any money to buy and ship you one considering it hadn't happened at the time of install , and im already at 0 profit... That is what you told me when I asked you why am I not receiving another fan when Kirk (bags533) is? Here is what you tell me again,

------------------------------------
BigDogJonx: yea but you can count that cause it was snowing when i took the car, hard to see an overheat problem when its 20 degrees outside, and how can you expect the radiator to cool when you got a small 12" fan only covering about id say 40% of the radiator?
Hal-HLH0501: well I can expect that because on my car I have one fan and have never had an overheating issue even when the car sits for 15minutes
Hal-HLH0501: that and kyu, thats about all i had to reference ..
BigDogJonx: hal, bags is having the same problem, me and him have the same problem, its a fan issue 100%, there is no question about it since if i start moving above 30mph the temp comes back down, so what does that tell you? its a fan issue
Hal-HLH0501: I'm not argueing that it does sound to be a fan issue now
Hal-HLH0501: bags complained of it immediately and its being taken care of through anthony..
BigDogJonx: thats cause he lives in ATL where its over 80degrees, DC had nothing but 45degree weather up until recently
----------------------------------

You tell me how that is being helpful? You admit its a fan issue at the end but then blame me for not telling you earlier because the weather was not hot enough like Kirk in DC. My bad, maybe I shouldve drove to Florida the next day to make sure the car was working in perfect order so I couldve got me a fan as well.

Carnal_c30: I dont know what to tell you anymore. Im not going to sit here and argue with the person I dont have any business with. My transaction was between Hal, not you. I know I can fix the stuff myself, but how much more money should I drop on the kit to repair issues that Im not responsible for? You keep avoiding that question while you keep defending your friend. Thats fine, you keep doing that. And dont tell me I cant expect it to run as an NA car when it is turbo, I had a supercharger in my car before this, I know the issues I had with that, but these issues are 10fold compared to that.

Hal: You keep mention how it was a free install. Let me ask you something since you keep pushing that in anyone of your threads. I want to buy another 5th gen turbo kit for an automatic right now. Yeah thats right, I got another 4gs I want to burn. CAN you have that shipped to me in 2weeks? If so we got a deal. Cause you know what? You cant, you cant create a kit and ship it cause everyone of your kits differ from car to car. You are not technically giving free shipping when you "adjust" all your other prices to offset your actual cost of installing.

Honestly I dont care anymore, I have no issues in fixing it myself, just want to let people know that this is not a kit you drive off on expect no issues as with most boosted cars. But you cant expect to run into quality issues, sold 3" piping and gets 2.5" muffler, cutting corning on an oil line..... You just CANNOT expect that from any kit and expect the customer to fix it themselves.

By the way Hal, I left your house at 5am that morning, not 3am. I think we've all had enough of this extra long thread, enjoy your day people!

Dixit
Old 05-06-2003, 05:35 AM
wat

Yes, we do seem to have a lot of bandwagon people here. I think we all have been guilty of it at some point in time. I did say we should reserve judgement until you replied Hal...I must say though, I was a little dissappointed in your response. Not that my opinion counts for anything, but, I see both people at fault in some way in this situation. Dixit, you should have stepped up right as soon as you saw your car and the obvious issues that you had with some of the aspects of the install. I can not blame you for being excited to have your turbo on and driving home asap. I would prolly do the same thing. But, if you saw something you did not like when you first got the car back, then you should have said it right then and there. Also, you drove it 600 miles back home. You should have come across some of the other issues on the way back. That was a long a$$ test drive. Unfortunately, Hal, most of this nasty situation falls upon you. I have not seen the car in person, but I am sure most people here agree, just by looking at the pictures the work is subpar. Your response to this thread was definitely subpar as well. You say you have a copy of a $4000 check in your hand and that is all the money he put into it? I will have to disagree with that. Yes, to take advantage of the free install Dixit made the decision to buy a plane ticket. But that money for the plane ticket would be considered part of the wasted money when the install was shoddy in the first place. I think you knew way ahead of time that his car was NOT going to be ready in time for him to pick it up on the day specified. You should have told him as much. Did you? I don't think anyone is blaming you for the turbo kit not working properly. We all know that most new mods require tweaking to make them work right. But, with that said, you should have kept the car til it was tweaked to good working condition. I wanna go on and on but I will end by saying you both have some fault in this situation and it is a shame that the dirty laundry had to be aired out here in a public forum. You two need to sit down and discuss what can be done to rectify the situation to where you are BOTH satisfied. Hal, if you do not step up to the plate and do something here, what are the chances anyone will purchase anything from you again? It is in both of your best interests to get this situation resolved quickly and effectively. Sit down and talk. Give it a shot or live with the consequences.

My .02
Old 05-06-2003, 05:36 AM
VQ Wizard

I think it's to the point now where most of the people need to stop replying to this thread. If you don't have any positive or problem solving comments maybe you shouldn't post. Let Dixit and Hal sort the issues out amongst themselves. Both of them seem to have good character and have their own set of legitimate reasons for what is happening here. Please stop adding fuel to the fire. Especially since there is still enough bridge left here to salvage. Lets not burn it to the ground.

Examples in this thread shows reason why I am slowly leaning away toward helping any of you with working on your cars or even caring WTF you do with them. Many of you guys are bandwagon flamers and should be ashamed of yourselves. Dixit showed great character by not flaming Hal but just clearly stating a list of issues he had. He started this thread so why not follow his example and keep the flaming out?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:47 AM
Administrator

i am so wanting to get in this thread...

but what i find funny is.. everyone thinks Dixit should stop crying because he only spent $4000
Old 05-06-2003, 05:59 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by SprintMax
EVERYONE except the donkey

I think both Bags and Dixit need to shut up and consider themselves lucky to have had the privilege of having any kind of boost at all. They should know that once you get positive manifold pressure, any other problems should be accepted as the price of fame. They are lucky Hal only charges the low low price of $4000 for his kit and realize that they got the deal of the century.

I mean look how much those GS drivers have to pay SRT for a turbo...
Old 05-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Just an innocent AIM convo with SR and myself

SR20DEN: yo
dmason23: yo what up
SR20DEN: thats not how i see it... it loks to me liek there are people on both sides
dmason23: thats how Dennis and Malik see it
dmason23: its like.. dood.. shut the **** up.. you only spent 4 grand
dmason23: well just trying to defend a friend
dmason23: and have no point of argument
dmason23: its like.. if yo ucan't help your friend.. then just be quiet
dmason23: because they are making **** worse for him
SR20DEN: true
dmason23: now everyone represents their ideas as Hal's
dmason23: its like.. yo.. if hal thinks you should stop whining if i give you a ****ty product after dropping 4k
dmason23: why should i even spend money with him
dmason23: they are ****ing him up
SR20DEN: then maybe you should post at last once... you would essentially be backing up what Alex and I already said
SR20DEN: i just didnt name any names
dmason23: maybe i should post what?
SR20DEN: what you just said to me
SR20DEN: about them making things worse
dmason23: maybe i should just post this AIM convo
dmason23: since i am too ****ing lazy to retype it
SR20DEN: haha ok
Old 05-06-2003, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

I think both Bags and Dixit need to shut up and consider themselves lucky to have had the privilege of having any kind of boost at all. They should know that once you get positive manifold pressure, any other problems should be accepted as the price of fame. They are lucky Hal only charges the low low price of $4000 for his kit and realize that they got the deal of the century.

I mean look how much those GS drivers have to pay SRT for a turbo...
You forgot this......

Old 05-06-2003, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by look2me40

Ok, so a landscaping company charges you $4000 to do a complete Japanese garden theme. They come in and put the plants and trees where they are supposed to be, but they don't bother to dig holes for them...they just lay them on your grass. They are supposed to mulch but they just pile in your driveway and leave. You are supposed to get a pond with Koi in it and they just put the Koi in a tank and leave it on your back porch. You should just accept if for the privilege of having the worst Japanese garden ever?
Ben is a close friend of Bags

HE IS BEING SARCASTIC .. DONKEY
Old 05-06-2003, 06:06 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by deezo
He's being sarcastic.

Jokes aren't funny when you have to explain them to people...
Old 05-06-2003, 06:07 AM
wat

damn it donkeys...I edited the post when I realized it. Don't flame me or I will build you a turbo kit.

Besides...I liked telling my Japanese garden story.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:10 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Don't flame me or I will build you a turbo kit.

How much for installation?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Only your frustration and patience
Old 05-06-2003, 06:11 AM

damn it donkeys...I edited the post when I realized it. Don't flame me or I will build you a turbo kit.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:12 AM
wat

Free install. $3995.00
Old 05-06-2003, 06:15 AM

Free install. $3995.00
Get the turbo for free, $3995 to fix the issues.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:23 AM
wat

Originally posted by deezo
Get the turbo for free, $3995 to fix the issues.

I saw that.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:50 AM

Dixit I hope everything works out for you.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:30 AM

When did I say that he "had to deal with it" because $4000 for a turbo kit was a great deal?

When you pay a certain amount, you need to have realistic expectations as to what you're going to get.

When I buy a maxima, I don't say "wtf, it doesn't have all the features that a BMW does."

The point is, he got a working turbo system, with no broken parts and was a happy customer as he left. It may not have been as PRETTY as he would have liked but with 4000 dollars, pretty is a luxury not a right. His expectations are unreasonable, that is the point.

According to hal, and pictures he showed me of the install, turbonetics couplings were used. Is that low quality? He cut them himself yes. Is there some $15,000 silicone coupler cutting machine out there that i'm not aware of?

Dixit wanted to charge Hal for all the extras that he got, because it wasn't mentioned that he would need/want them later on. It was never implied that he would be provided with everything that he needed/wanted. He was sold what was advertised, and that was a functional turbo system.

Obviously you people are hearing what you want to hear. I don't believe Hal has ever avoided helping a customer when he could within the best of his abilities.

The oil line. Dixit said he'd take care of it on the day of the install. He didn't. Hal owned up to it and did the best he could from 3000 miles away. Dixit is still complaining.

The overheating. This did not begin to occur until WAY after the initial install. Jeez he can buy a fan that he likes then. He knew exactly what the problem was. He called Hal, he agreed with the assesment, recommended a course of action.

(Nice story Donkey Boy, here's my attempt )

Suppose I fly to D.C. While I'm there I buy a $200 pair of nike's and then the salesman forgot to lace the shoelaces correctly, so I step on one and snap it off.

Do I call the salesman and demand that he overnight a new shoelace to me? The salesman says "Well I'm out of extra laces, but I'm sure you could find one at your local shoe store." Do I refuse to buy a new shoelace with my own money and continue to walk around with a broken one until one day I trip and fall and sue the pants off the nike salesman? Or, do i tuck the broken shoelace back into the shoe, walk into the LOCAL shoe store and pick up a replacement?

Now suppose I'm not happy with the way the shoes feel 6 weeks into ownership. I decide to make them more comfortable with insole inserts from Dr. Scholls. Am I to send Nike the bill for the inserts because they didn't design the instep of the shoe comfortably enough for my tastes and it is causing my feet to cramp up possibly leading to fallen arches?

This is basically the way I see it. I mean Hal is doing his best, but at this point it is way beyond the call of duty or responsibility. It is well within Dixit's ability to take care of all of the issues within a day or so. Especially if he really owns hotels and apartment complexes, buying replacement shoelace or insole is well within his ability.

Are we losing perspective here? or have we forgotten this thread. It sure seems we have a happy customer here. He did make it back home 600 miles without incident did he not? Not bad, 5 days, product delivered on time, and on a tight deadline. And just FYI Hal did suggest delaying Dixit's pick up date and even offered to pay the money to have his flight rescheduled.

This is frankly getting to me. I've been in the computer technology business for many years and have had to deal with unreasonable deadlines, rediculous expectations and never-ending technical support ad nauseum. I believe in making my customer happy. However at some point you need to draw the line of where your responsibility begins and ends. Usually this is mutually undertsood between the customer and the vendor. I believe Hal has fulfilled his end.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Dennis.. just let it be man.. no sense in everyone who is not involved burning bridges and ****ing everyone else off over it..

because as we know on the org.. one disagreement in one thread leaves to bad blood in every other damn thread..

me.. everyone knows i am an assshole so they ither ignore me or humor me.. i burn bridges daily..

my point is.. I see you and Malik backing Hal thats cool.. but don't burn bridges over it..
Old 05-06-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

I cleaned up the last few pages. I can't stand people that just ***** up threads when there's a serious issue at hand.

Brian's post I felt didn't really add anything new to the issue. I don't care what you feel Brian. I don't have time to go though the last FOURTEEN PAGES right now.

Complain about me in feedback or something. Leave this part of the thread clean. Don't be selfish. Think about the original Bigdog. The man needs to get this resolved.

Chinkzilla. I edited out the PW in the thread. Your accusations are totally off base.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Brian just repost your all mightly post then
Old 05-06-2003, 09:01 AM
wat

Once again I will state that this thread has surpassed its usefulness and should be locked. Dixit said what he needed to say and he is ready to move on. Hal apparently is done with what he had to say and he is moving on. No need for anyone else to chime in and definitely no need to start any bullsh1t.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:04 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

hmmm....guess I will roast some bridges then... cause the only real friends I have will be honest with me when push comes to shove...

dave b- well for $4000 I will tell you anything you wanna know and slap you and call you suzie. People can't complain about a problem while the problem is trying to be resolved. And for the record.. I have no rattles, but LOTS of heat

Chinkzilla- so what you saying is hal = catts????? you lost me there.. so he dogs customers cars and treat them like ****.. and I should expect less customer service due to it being an indivdual instead of a shop?? hmm.. sounds like the indivdual bit off more than they can chew. now with that being said hal is trying to help me. anything more you wanna know refer to the above post and another FYI I was working on the 5th gen intake swap before roadbeast, and **** him too just ...funny how you bash dixit over something YOUR not involved in

carnal_c30- please put your head back in your a$$ to stop yourself from embarassing yourself anyfurther.. and to bring nigel into it was wrong.

and kev thanks for all the help.. I bet you have helped every turbo under the sun.

and for those of you that don't like what I say send me an email or post here
Old 05-06-2003, 09:12 AM
wat

I usually can't understand why Jeff does the things he does sometimes...but this time I am going to say to all ya'll GET OFF THE SUBJECT OF JEFF DELETING YOUR STUPID POSTS AND GET BACK ON THE SUBJECT OF DIXIT AND HIS ISSUES. How retarded can you get?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:13 AM

basically bags is on my case for being involved in something i shouldn't be, but since my first post, i've made it quite clear that i'm a first-hand witness, and i'm absolutely 100% biased

If my original post hadn't been deleted then I think this would have been quite clear.

to summarize:

I'm all for not burning bridges.
I'm not taking any of this crap personally.
I am 100% biased.
I wasn't going to sit on my thumbs while Hal's name got beat into the dirt.

thank you, come again

I'm done I hope
Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
rilla dope

There's definitely some bad blood here, but I don't think it's anything that can't be overcome. I don't know either party that well, but it seems that the community can benefit from the outcome of this conversation as long as it stays on task. I'm no moderator, but if there's some sign of progress I certainly enjoy the repartee going on here. Defenders on either side are not really what's needed, someone just needs to know when to ring the bell and send the contenders to their respective corners from time to time.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:34 AM
radiance

I think Jeff got owned. lol

I think your mama got owned... so shut up.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by radiance
why does your profile say Cali? when your IP is in Houston TX

Address: 2600 Southwest Frwy., Suite 500
City: Houston
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 77098
Old 05-06-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm needing a caw

I tried to clean it up. Go ahead and keep whoring up the thread. I'm sure Bigdog really appreciates it.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:41 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by radiance
I think you're on crack.

One guy posted an experience, one guy followed with his similar experience, two guys are defending Hal, Hal posted the lamest response ever seen in the history of the org... that's 5 people.

95 other people posted a lot of "I think..." and "He should..." and they're ****sed about getting their crap deleted
Old 05-06-2003, 09:41 AM
wat

why does your profile say Cali? when your IP is in Houston TX

Address: 2600 Southwest Frwy., Suite 500
City: Houston
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 77098

Um, his dial up provider could be in TX?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:42 AM

At this point I got no idea what happened, but it doesnt matter anymore, just like every other thread that gets past 50posts, it turns into a PW thread.

Dont matter to me, just hurts other people who may be looking at this for real reasons instead of raising their post count cause in some way it makes them feel better
Old 05-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Administrator

where in my post did i mention BrianV?

Originally posted by BrianV

You think that's me?

WTF? The only connection I have access to in Houston is from my g/f's brother's road runner connection. And I got connections in Utah and you know I used to live in California and I have like 20 servers over there, come on I'd be cleaner then that.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
At this point I got no idea what happened, but it doesnt matter anymore, just like every other thread that gets past 50posts, it turns into a PW thread.

Dont matter to me, just hurts other people who may be looking at this for real reasons instead of raising their post count cause in some way it makes them feel better
I appologize for that [snip]
Old 05-06-2003, 09:49 AM

where in my post did i mention BrianV?

It just felt like it was directed towards me and being that it's a Houston address. At any rate, I promise on anything that it's not me or any connection I know about.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by BrianV

It just felt like it was directed towards me and being that it's a Houston address. At any rate, I promise on anything that it's not me or any connection I know about.
i was talking to the person who's IP i pulled, i have no idea why you would think it is you

Quick Reply: MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.