General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MAJOR Turbo problems with Hal's kit. VERY LONG post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by deezo
But would you take Stillen y pipe from some distributor in that condition? Sure it may work for a while but would you be happy knowing it's not going to work at its full potential?
the welds?? they are functional they dont leak boost so pretty much they do as advertised, powdercoating was another added expense on top of the piping on my old turbo

if Midas makes me a custom down pipe... I wouldnt be surprised by globby welds
If Stillen makes me a pipe, I pay like 3 times over that of the competitor I would expect better quality

when I bought my Warpspeed pipe I was surprised at the quality of the welds, but I didnt necessarily expect them and if they bothered my I would of gladly taken care of them myself- their product was a mandrel bent SS Y-pipe... and thats what I got even if the welds were a bit messy (though they werent)
Old 05-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hi malik
Old 05-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

In address to the welds I can give my opinion. I work in an industry that does welding all the time. Whether it be steel, iron, stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, etc. As it has been previously stated stainless steel and aluminum are about the hardest to weld. That piping on Dixits car looks to be galvanized steel or an aluminum coated something. At any rate, even if it was aluminum or stainless steel that is a pi55 poor weld. About 95% of the welding we do at our work is either stainless steel or aluminum. If the weld is done half decent it will hold up for long periods of time under adverse conditions. That weld on Dixit's car will not hold up for more than 6...maybe 12 months at the most. There are definitely some air pockets in there that will cause the weld to rust prematurely. Even an exhaust shop should be doing better work than that. I have no other thoughts to give on anything else since I am a turbo newbie.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by foodmanry
In address to the welds I can give my opinion. I work in an industry that does welding all the time. Whether it be steel, iron, stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, etc. As it has been previously stated stainless steel and aluminum are about the hardest to weld. That piping on Dixits car looks to be galvanized steel or an aluminum coated something. At any rate, even if it was aluminum or stainless steel that is a pi55 poor weld. About 95% of the welding we do at our work is either stainless steel or aluminum. If the weld is done half decent it will hold up for long periods of time under adverse conditions. That weld on Dixit's car will not hold up for more than 6...maybe 12 months at the most. There are definitely some air pockets in there that will cause the weld to rust prematurely. Even an exhaust shop should be doing better work than that. I have no other thoughts to give on anything else since I am a turbo newbie.
yep, globby welds like that = poor penetration into the metal which means weak joint. looks like the welder's arc was too far from the pipe or intermittedly started and stopped.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by Nismo

yep, globby welds like that = poor penetration into the metal which means weak joint. looks like the welder's arc was too far from the pipe or intermittedly started and stopped.
Bingo....

The vibration Dixit is getting is not helping the welds at all either. Those pipes need to be totally re-welded to be fit for long term use in adverse conditions.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:11 PM

Im curious what the original purpose of this thread was. Where you trying to call out hal for a claimed "poor quality kit" to let other org people know what you have been through. Or are you trying to seek advice from other guys on how to cure the problem. Or to let people know that you dont advise them to buy this kit and to take shots at hal.??

This thread is WAY to long for me to read it all and honestly i dont think i would if i had time. Dixit im sorry for your troubles man and i hope everything works out. But what turned out to be a helpful thread turned out to be one that puts down hal and his work. Is anyone else running this kit?? im curious to see what they have to say...other than that moderators need to stop this thread before it gets out of hand.

Jon
Old 05-06-2003, 08:22 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by Battle Max V2.0
Im curious what the original purpose of this thread was. Where you trying to call out hal for a claimed "poor quality kit" to let other org people know what you have been through. Or are you trying to seek advice from other guys on how to cure the problem. Or to let people know that you dont advise them to buy this kit and to take shots at hal.??

This thread is WAY to long for me to read it all and honestly i dont think i would if i had time. Dixit im sorry for your troubles man and i hope everything works out. But what turned out to be a helpful thread turned out to be one that puts down hal and his work. Is anyone else running this kit?? im curious to see what they have to say...other than that moderators need to stop this thread before it gets out of hand.

Jon
Just read Dixit's first post.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

I dont need anger management thank you why dont you contact roadsh!t and contribute some money to his account or better yet use the search function since you obviously dont know WTF is going on and read about Roadbeast and if your intelligent enough you will figure out why I came out like that.
I had a feelin it had something to do with Roadbeast and the MEVI. I'm well aware that many people got ripped off. But in all due respect, trying to compare roadbeast to hal is like apples and oranges. I felt and still think that your response was over the top and that you needed to chill out some. That's why I called you out. I'm not the one trying to instigate things with comments like
"Your quite lucky your not no where near, you get your *** knocked the f_ck out first hand." Maybe if you respected dixit, hal and kevin, you would respect their wishes and keep this thread productive. And you're a mod, I woulda thought you'd know better.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by NISMO808

I had a feelin it had something to do with Roadbeast and the MEVI. I'm well aware that many people got ripped off. But in all due respect, trying to compare roadbeast to hal is like apples and oranges. I felt and still think that your response was over the top and that you needed to chill out some. That's why I called you out. I'm not the one trying to instigate things with comments like
"Your quite lucky your not no where near, you get your *** knocked the f_ck out first hand." Maybe if you respected dixit, hal and kevin, you would respect their wishes and keep this thread productive. And you're a mod, I woulda thought you'd know better.
hmmm I didnt catch that... thats not cool
Old 05-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Just as it concerns A turbo kit made by Hal, who is My friend.

No arguement from me. I understand how both sides would defend their friend... not that I agree with both parties on all points... but I understand.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn Loooong thread. Back to the Welds, ya they look crappy.. no really . for real for real! I think a little kid who knew how to weld wouldve done a better job than that stuff.

Im not going to go all into this crap ok maybe. It took me forever to read this **** but I would like to voice my 02.

Ok 4g's is a dam* lot of money to pay. I dont care if the **** was 2gs it better run like a Horse when you slap its ***. A heck of alot of money was dished out for this kit, and the quality was not 4gs more like 100 bucks under the desk. To do a kit like this at this amount of money thats a big promise to fulfill. I feel the promise was broken when Hal picked that shop. Free installation dont mean ****, I could careless if it was free. It better be done right. Because when a seller says yes this is a good turbo kit the people installing it goes with that quality check when it is offered. For Hal not to do his part, its wrong. As a seller if anything didnt cut it, then he shouldve said send it back to get a better one, or bigger. The big thing here is Customer service and the relationship factor to keep that person as a HAPPY customer, so hey, he may come back. So he wont bad mouth your work or your reputation so you dont have to worry about "Is my work in jeopardy?" If his people touched it to get it done then he/they should fix whatever is wrong. To spend even more money to get things done right aine even a **********in question. It just shouldnt happen. To say well atleast it works to a certain thing thats half assed is like saying Hey I gave you a hair cut, It may look ****ed up and you may not look good but Hey its cut, right! No. I can see why Hal doesnt care too much about his customers too much. Its just enough to get him by day by day because hey, Hes on the other side of th U.S. he doesnt have to see them, they dont get in his face, cant touch him physically there. So Yeah I can blow them off some. You can say its custom all you want but when you Pay 4gs or more for Custom, every little dam* detail better look like 4gs was put into that sucka. From the welds, to the fan, hey that dam* zip tie better look like it took 4gs to install it. Thats Quality, thats a good customer service relationship with a Happy customer. You know hes coming back and the word gets to another person becoming then an interested buyer. If Hal said hey yeah 4gs will get everything up in a week well dam* it better then since you said so. If not give me a call if my 4gs is going to take longer Hell let me know. If you fail to, then you become in deep ****. Because if I come back and its half assed like that was and you call that 4gs worth of work. Then you should just take your Turbo project off the market from being sold. Because it aine 4g Quality. Hal man you lose, youve lost. My people of the org, Youve seen his work. Youve seen "his" 4g Quality, "his" 4g so called Satisfaction, If this is his 4g frame of mind. I see us no use in even dealing with a person with such high belief in such Low Quality, low personal customer service, and of such a low product.

Bags, and Dixit, and who ever who bought the Turbo. Dont let my post get you upset. I have a feeling you all can get things fixed over time. Itll come together in time, dont give up hope in having an ultimate Turbo Maxima. I would like to thank you guys for letting us come to mind of how things really are in Hals "4g" world Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 11:42 PM

i'm with whoever said...

I'm with whoever said they're not posting any more unless they're replied to.

to everyone who hasnt bought hal's kit (i believe there are 5 people listed on his site so that means the other 100ish people who've replied cant say sh*t), resolve it with hal, your opinion is known over and over(and those who want reviews can now search..thanks kev!).

anyone with nigel's kit, congratulations, you dont have a reason to post either (bringing nigel and his kit into this was totally irrelivent in my eyes).
if you were thinking of buying hal's kit and are now soured but still feel the need to complain, dont bother, theres an off-topic forum for that.
hal put alot of time and i'm sure money into his kit, the pictures (from dixit) i've seen seem to be unacceptable but then again dixit did drive off(not placing blame, stating possible key facts). dont complain if you havent paid for it. dont complain if its not yours. dont complain if you're not directly involved.

there is an old saying: if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself, so everyone complaining (with the exception of those who ACTUALLY PURCHASED kits) should do just that, i personally could care less about how hal is such a nice guy..i'm a nice guy too but thats irrelivent, if he isnt working with dixit, then he isnt doing good(business isnt a judgement of character..business is business)..
sidenote: hal is a nice guy on IM in MY experiance but thats also irrelivent

try first hand keeping your daily driver off the road for long enough to fab your own turbo kit(i'm actually at a crossroads where my max is off the road for a while and i dont know if i should try to make a turbo setup).

as far as other "pioneers" go no one really cares except those who ACTUALLY lost money on what they did/didnt do. karma will always catch up with them.

mods: if you dont like this post, delete it, dont edit.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:31 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

WEll with everyone else he was defending his friend ME. So that is the reason he spoke up. BNt for more on that issue please see my thread
Old 05-07-2003, 04:43 AM

This whole thread got way too retarded.

***** the friends backing up friends. ***** other business model comparissions. ***** moderators on ego trips.

Point is.
Dixit bought a privately manufactured kit.
Dixit did [b]some[/] research.
Hal didn't disclose every piece and procedure to the kit and installation.
Dixit didn't ask about every piece and procedure to the kit and installation.
Durring install, Dixit had some issues that he observed. Some he commented on and had adjustments made. Others, he chose not to voice.
Post purchase, Dixit has found some design flaws. Some critical, and some asthetic.

There is no such thing as perfection. A privately built kit for $4k is going to be less than perfection. It will not run for ever. It will not function to the best of its ability.

You get what you pay for, and you get what you put into it. If Dixit had put the extra effort in, he might not be so disatissfied now, but he is responsible for the work/parts that he allowed to continue when he saw that it was going wrong. Hal is reponsible for work/parts that are different from what he offered. The grey areas are the them to discuss on their terms.

I'm done with this thread. If anyone wants to comment to me, PM me.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:05 AM

Jay wasn't the one saying that Roadbeast did something good for the org and we just smacked him down for no reason. Read through the thread again. Chinkzilla was under the impression that this was the case and Roadbeast name should have never come up in this conversation and I feel the same as Jay on the situation. Roadbeast is very blessed that he doesn't live in the states.

Frenzy: State names if you think the moderators are on an ego trip. I'm a mod and since I'm not on an ego trip, don't generalize.

The only thing that I see Dixit did wrong was taking his car from that shop. He should have demanded everything be fixed and in working order. Plus, there should have been test time to make sure these problems wouldn't arise.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:21 AM
wat

Re: This whole thread got way too retarded.

Originally posted by Frezny
[B]
***** the friends backing up friends. ***** other business model comparissions. ***** moderators on ego trips.

Point is.
Dixit bought a privately manufactured kit.
Dixit did some[/] research.
Hal didn't disclose every piece and procedure to the kit and installation.
Dixit didn't ask about every piece and procedure to the kit and installation.
Durring install, Dixit had some issues that he observed. Some he commented on and had adjustments made. Others, he chose not to voice.
Post purchase, Dixit has found some design flaws. Some critical, and some asthetic.

There is no such thing as perfection. A privately built kit for $4k is going to be less than perfection. It will not run for ever. It will not function to the best of its ability.

You get what you pay for, and you get what you put into it. If Dixit had put the extra effort in, he might not be so disatissfied now, but he is responsible for the work/parts that he allowed to continue when he saw that it was going wrong. Hal is reponsible for work/parts that are different from what he offered. The grey areas are the them to discuss on their terms.

I'm done with this thread. If anyone wants to comment to me, PM me.

Boy...you roll in here and sum it all up.

Anyways, you guys talking about roadbeast and whoever else are OFF THE SUBJECT. Dixit and Hal are the subjects. Apparently, Hal has said his piece. Apparently Dixit has said his piece. Now people are just rambling on about garbage. This thread should have stayed locked.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Re: This whole thread got way too retarded.

Originally posted by Frezny
excuse the **** out of me..

wait a god damn minute here..

People here buy a damn $300 y pipe the flex breaks and they complain about it..

and a guy buys a $4000 turbo kit and has to suck it up?

i swear to God i didn't sit across a table from some of you guys because i would grab you buy your fcking necks if you tried to tell me that i should take my sh!tty turbo kit and shove it up my fcking as$ because i only paid $4000

half of you fcking asssholes can't afford to spend fcking $4000 and you want to tell someone to take their **** and fck off.. you mother fckers got some mother fcking nerves i tell you..

you guys are the same fcking b!tches who cry when your fcking $10 blue bulbs blow in 2 months..

i mean i wanted to keep my mouth shut but the fcking attitude in this thread about he has no right to complain and he gets what he pays for just drove me through the fcking roof.. i swear to God none of you b@tcches could say that bullsh!t to my face.. i would deck you asssholes straight to the fcking floor..
Old 05-07-2003, 05:35 AM
wat

Re: Re: This whole thread got way too retarded.

Originally posted by SprintMax

i swear to God i didn't sit across a table from some of you guys because i would grab you buy your fcking necks if you tried to tell me that i should take my sh!tty turbo kit and shove it up my fcking as$ because i only paid $4000

half of you fcking asssholes can't afford to spend fcking $4000 and you want to tell someone to take their **** and fck off.. you mother fckers got some mother fcking nerves i tell you..

you guys are the same fcking b!tches who cry when your fcking $10 blue bulbs blow in 2 months..

i mean i wanted to keep my mouth shut but the fcking attitude in this thread about he has no right to complain and he gets what he pays for just drove me through the fcking roof.. i swear to God none of you b@tcches could say that bullsh!t to my face.. i would deck you asssholes straight to the fcking floor..

All of what he said.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:36 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Bad morning bro? I think most of you guys should stay out of this thread.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: This whole thread got way too retarded.

Originally posted by amixam98

Bad morning bro? I think most of you guys should stay out of this thread.
nah i am straight..

i just can't believe the nerve of some of these people. People who can't afford to spend money that dixit has but feel they have to right to say that he should suck it up. I am dead serious.. if we were at a meet and someone said this **** i would be going rounds right about now. **** like this ****es me the fck off.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 AM
ejj

Oh come on, you only spent $4,000! Suck it up! Be a man!

Truth be told, its not the money, its the time factor in my mind. This is not the time to buy a turbo kit if you want a bolt-on kit that will work with no problems. Hal and all his customers are finding this out.

Guys with PFI kits are finding this out too. If you're willing to invest the money, and then invest more money and time, then a turbo kit can work. But until a major company with a high level of quality control starts making these kits, they're always going to be buggy.

It appears that guys like Kevin went into the turbo kit ordeal with the right mind-set, while most others have not.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by ejj

Oh come on, you only spent $4,000! Suck it up! Be a man!

Truth be told, its not the money, its the time factor in my mind. This is not the time to buy a turbo kit if you want a bolt-on kit that will work with no problems. Hal and all his customers are finding this out.

Guys with PFI kits are finding this out too. If you're willing to invest the money, and then invest more money and time, then a turbo kit can work. But until a major company with a high level of quality control starts making these kits, they're always going to be buggy.

It appears that guys like Kevin went into the turbo kit ordeal with the right mind-set, while most others have not.
The other problem could be anxiety and not being able to wait for testing for all of the problems to be worked out. Hell, I've been anxious to get a lot of mods but I've waited everything out to make sure the mods that I have purchased were up to par. Sounds crazy but I was able to wait.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj

as did i.. but then no one has the right to tell that someone that because they are not satisfied with their product that they can't post their experience about it.

ok.. lets just say that Dixit doesn't post.. Kirk doesn't post.

more people buy the kits.. more people get ****ed.. more problems Hal has to fix.

the way i see it.. Hal is lucky they posted.. now he has time to fix his issues before he goes deeper in the hole.

tell me this ejj.. how would you feel if no one posted that Stillen Pulley's were likely to melt.. then you would have found out the hard way like Phil96SE who was on I-684 in NY at 9 pm at night when his pulley melted and his lights and everything went and he sat on the side of the road for a tow truck. Would you say that Phil and others should have known going in that pulleys are likely to melt and shoudl have never posted to the general population about this defect?
Old 05-07-2003, 05:57 AM
wat

Re: Re: Re: Re: This whole thread got way too retarded.

Originally posted by deezo
The other problem could be anxiety an not being able to wait for enough. Hell, I've been anxious to get a lot of mods but I've waited everything out to make sure the mods that I have purchased were up to par. Sounds crazy but I was able to wait.

That is what I was saying before. Yes, I would be siked all to he11 to get a turbo...but I KNOW that I would inspect every square inch of that setup. 3, 4 or 5 am...it would still get done. Again...Hal should have told him there was no chance the car would be ready and Dixit should have accepted that. As far as being patient...I have a 2k2...parts come slow for this monkey so I know what you mean about that.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:00 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: This whole thread got way too retarded.

tell me this ejj.. how would you feel if no one posted that Stillen Pulley's were likely to melt.. then you would have found out the hard way like Phil96SE who was on I-684 in NY at 9 pm at night when his pulley melted and his lights and everything went and he sat on the side of the road for a tow truck. Would you say that Phil and others should have known going in that pulleys are likely to melt and shoudl have never posted to the general population about this defect?
Whoa, I'm not saying they shouldn't post their problems. I think they should! If you recall, that was half the reason I got the SC. Yes, there are problems, but those problems were already documented!

I strongly agree with Deezo. If you're going to be one of the first few people with a new mod, you have to expect bugs, its a fact of life. Then add the extreme complexity of a turbo kit, and this kind of stuff is bound to happen.

Does it suck? Absolutely. Should other people buying any turbo kit at this time expect bugs? Of course. Hell, as you mentioned there are still flaws with Stillen's SC kit, but because its been around so long, people can take the right preventive measures from the start.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:04 AM

This is exactly what Im sayin, you know! People get on my nerves with saying it was just 4gs. It aine a time factor. I think people think that because its a custom turbo for 4gs its not as great as a 10g one, Like I said I dont care if it was 2gs Thas alotta dam* money. I wonder how the people who say this stuff feel if it was their money. And they got the same treatment. I know for a fact they would be doin just what Kirk and Dixit did. Post about the problems. So dont give me that its just 4gs. Obviously some poeple dont know the value of money. When 4gs is spent it dam* well better be some 4g Quality working with minimal if any problems at all. I dont care whether its a turbo or a new engine, or a new car. It seems like some people here think 4gs is something that can come out ya *** and pop up in ya hand and be like oh **** 4gs. Its hard earned cash thats what it is. Timing has nothing to do with it at all. I dont care if I bought it in Jan or December when its the coldest. Buying something 4gs is buying something thats worth 4gs. I dont care if he just created the thing. He stood by it saying it would work. And that it would go into production. Yeah, Im happy we have some turbo kits out there. But dont make a turbo kit just to say hey I made a turbo kit and come one here and slap a price on it that isnt near what the work is worth. If you want to keep it in business fine. Drop the price to that 100 dollas under the table ****. Because thats exactly what I see in this *****.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:07 AM

Thread is closed by request.