General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone ever purchased used tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Disco Biscuit

Anyone ever purchased used tires?

Mine are bal, and I dont have the $$$ to buy 4 new ones at the moment. I found a local used tire shop that has 4 235\45\17s for $44 each mounted and balanced. Is that a good deal? Dont know the brand....
Old 05-16-2003, 08:04 AM

I'd check them out (look at every square inch) and ask the seller about there history. That's what I would do.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 AM

My dad used to for my 1st volvo. There was no point in buying new tires for an old car so we always got used ones. Try to atlease find 2 of the same kind brand for the front so you don't get one w/ wierd tread. I think you should be fine for a temporary fix until you can save up more money, then you'll always have a second set.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I was younger and poorer, I bought some used tires not knowing they had been retreaded.

about a month later, it was a 95 degree day and myself and my friend were driving down the freeway heading for the local hangout.

He had his head out of the window somewhat to cool off....(Car was a POS with no A/C).

Suddenly, I hear a THUMP, and the retread flew off, went back, and nailed him in the forehead, knocking him unconcious.

I pulled over fast (amazingly the tire was still inflated), and woke him up. A few minutes later he came to and had a huge bruise on his forehead for about 3 weeks.

Moral of the story - be careful when buying used tires, and DON'T buy retreads!
Old 05-16-2003, 09:20 AM

I've always had good luck with used tires. Used to buy them all the time for my truck when I had it.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:00 AM

Anybody notice that picture in the current C&D of the place that rents tires? Can't remmember where it was.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:02 AM

i bought used once same deal, i got 4 matching off a wrecked car and they lasted well. g/l Dysfunctional sig., but lol!
Old 05-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by iansw
When I was younger and poorer, I bought some used tires not knowing they had been retreaded.

about a month later, it was a 95 degree day and myself and my friend were driving down the freeway heading for the local hangout.

He had his head out of the window somewhat to cool off....(Car was a POS with no A/C).

Suddenly, I hear a THUMP, and the retread flew off, went back, and nailed him in the forehead, knocking him unconcious.

I pulled over fast (amazingly the tire was still inflated), and woke him up. A few minutes later he came to and had a huge bruise on his forehead for about 3 weeks.

Moral of the story - be careful when buying used tires, and DON'T buy retreads!

Kind of funny too.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Make sure they aren't patched to hell
Old 05-17-2003, 07:40 AM
SLOW

I bought a set of used Toyo T1-Ss last year from a guy on the org, they were perfect. Saved me $320 on the set ($400 rather than $720).
Old 05-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Disco Biscuit

Well, I got some. Hehe, I lucked out too. Goodyear Eagle HP F1's, with about 80% tread left, for $44 each mounted and balanced.....
Old 05-18-2003, 11:19 AM

a story:

i went looking for tires. i went to a place that catered to the beemer, mercedes demographic tax-bracket. i did not know this until i walked into the lobby. the place was super spartan and clean looking. i wanted anti-theft lugs so i asked the guy behind the counter about those, too. they had them, Gorilla's, and they had tires. i gave them the size. and the guy said: "would you take used tires?" -- just out of the blue he asked this, as i told him i had bare rims from a Skyline and i needed anti-theft lugs. we started bullsh*tting about cars and tires and sh*t like that. he then said: "well. we don't really deal in used tires, but we get a ton of them from dealers. see, we do business pretty much only with dealers and we have all of these factory tires that people discard because they upgrade their wheels with factory options."

he then said: "what were the sizes again you needed?" i confirmed: "205/50/16." he replied: "oh. yeah. that is what they put on BMW's from the factory. we have plenty of those at our warehouse. we have ZR16, actually."

he got on the phone, called some guy, and he asked about the tires i needed. some conversation ensued, time passed, he was put on hold a while, and then he said to me: "oh yeah. they have those right now. i can get you a whole set for 100 bucks mounted and balanced. is that okay? we can't really get much for these. the new car buyers don't ever want to put used tires on their beemers, and we're not really in the used tire business!" he said it like everything was a joke. like the tires were crowding up space and he just wanted to dump them.

anyway, i agreed to buy the whole set. i said to him: "what brand are these tires? are they comparable to the G-force BFGoodrich?" he then said: "oh. probably. they are Michelin Pilots, beemer and mercedes put those on all of their new cars as stock."

"oh," i said. in a short time thereafter, the tires arrived, we looked at them and they had clearly about 85% tread on them. if not more. i immediately got a rush. these tires were nearly new looking.

anyway, i got the tires, went home beeming (get it?), and later went to the Michelin website and looked for reviews and ratings on Google. i found a couple of sites with reviews and i discovered >>> holy sh*t!!! the "Michelin Pilot HX" does come stock issue on BMW's. and they are $250 each!!! $1000 for a set of four and i got all four, barely used, for $100!!! and they handle like a cream dream, nearly unbelievable! i now believe in guardian angels! i have never in my life, up to now, been able to compare mediocre tires with absolute top-of-the heap ones. and i am telling you, these Pilots are absolutely sinfully perfect. they're not for auto-x, but for a performance street tire, they are beyond great.

i sound like a commercial now so i'll stop.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:10 PM

i paid 25 for a used tire mounted and balanced 44 might be a little high