General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drain pipe location of sunroof?? does anyone know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 02:09 PM

Drain pipe location of sunroof?? does anyone know?

I had a leak from my sunroof and when i checked for drain pipes and i found where the front ones are but not sure if there are any in the back and thats where major water is coming from. Does anyone know where the drain pipes are located in the rear or are there any?? I park on the slope where my front faces up so the water goes towards the back. Please help...
Old 06-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You need to get a picture of the front drain pipes. I have no idea what your talking about with the sunroof. If it is set up right (which is should be) then it should just seal right and not need anything. You might want to try some silicone around the seal and see if that helps.

Do this as if you were adding thickness to the edge of the seal. Open the sunroof, and add a bead to the edge, let it sit open to dry (24 hours or so) and that should help some.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:18 PM

I've seen rear drain tubes on my car and assumed they were for my sunroof. Check under your car, right behind the rear tires. You'll see a tube coming from the body underneath the car just to the back of the rear tires (one on each side). You can't miss them when looking from the rear of the car towards your back tires. I don't know where the other end to these tubes are...

Dave
Old 06-07-2003, 07:30 PM
Ramius83

The lead from the sunroof rails all the way back behind the rear C-pillars. You will see them. The actual hoses are a couple inches long and you can only see them with the headliner off....

Old 06-07-2003, 11:52 PM

This explains that weird gurgling noise I sometimes hear in roof area when I drive off after washing my car, or after a rain.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Dave Holmes
I've seen rear drain tubes on my car and assumed they were for my sunroof. Check under your car, right behind the rear tires. You'll see a tube coming from the body underneath the car just to the back of the rear tires (one on each side). You can't miss them when looking from the rear of the car towards your back tires. I don't know where the other end to these tubes are...

Dave
I wanted to know where the pipes were by the sunroof, not in the wheelwell. If i know where it is by the sunfoof, i can just stick a wire in it and try to clean it out. but thanx for ur input..
Old 06-08-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83
The lead from the sunroof rails all the way back behind the rear C-pillars. You will see them. The actual hoses are a couple inches long and you can only see them with the headliner off....
How hard is it to take the headliner off?
Old 06-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 1Phat Max

How hard is it to take the headliner off?
It's not hard at all. You just have to remove all 4 pillars, remove everything attached to your roofline and let it drop. You should have drains on all four corners.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Who?

there are four drains, and the rear ones tend to get clogged. i checked my service records and i see that twice my car had been taken to the dealership and pine needles were removed from the rear drains. i think they're clogged again actually, b/c sometimes if i park the car facing uphill when it rains, water will spill onto my lap when i start driving. it sucks, so until i get around to taking the roof out to clean it, i just have to park the car facing downhill.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by jakew8
Fun fact: "Maxima" is the only car name that's plural.
Would the Mazda Millenia fall into this group?